David Luiz back at Chelsea

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Piss poor positioning, rash challenges on the half way line, no marking at corners, running blindly towards the ball like a school kid, bad hair. All things we lacked last season.

Not one Chelsea player apart from willian the first 6 months of last season who wasn't like that i trust Conte will make this guy play football the right way

I have been back and forth a bit on this potential signing..... but overall I am going to go against the grain and give it my nod of approval. 

I could write a whole load of guff but the bottom line is we need to sign a central defender before the window closes, I'm not having the whole 'we can make do with what we have' school of thought.

We are one serious injury to JT or Cahill away from being in a right pickle. Imagine if, god forbid, they both picked up serious injuries.... where would we be then? We need a central defender, end of. 

Firstly, in my opinion, David Luiz is much better at defending than he is given credit for. In fact, I think most of the time he is actually very good- he is capable of monstrous displays against the very best (see Champions League Final 2012 for reference). With the ball at his feet, he will be the best defender we have in my humble opinion.

The problem that we all know of course, is that he always has a mistake in him, and you never know when it's going to come. He never erased that from his game while at Chelsea, and that was why when PSG paid £50M for him we all thought it was a bit of a hoot, despite him being a geezer and all that. 

That problem remains, and for that reason he would not have been my first choice. He was, quite clearly, not the clubs first choice either. Or second. Or third. 

Never the less, our main targets have not been secured, for whatever reason, and we find ourselves on deadline day with two fit central defenders. 

David Luiz can at centre back, full back, and can do a mighty fine job in midfield (City away). Some might say he would d a better job than Matic is doing right now. 

He has big bollcoks, bags of passion, knows Chelsea, knows England and will add some much needed grit into our squad. Something that has been lacking in the last 12 months. 

£30M these days is actually a good price. Throw in that we sold him for £50M two seasons ago and it sounds even better.

To summarise, he wouldn't have been my first choice by any means, but given the current situation I will take him and I think he brings a lot with him that can benefit the current squad. 

23 hours ago, barak81 said:

come now BJD - don't pretend you don't want to see those locks flowing in the wind as he starts his marourding run from our own goal line!! the pashion, the tenacity, the force of nature that is Luiz

I want this to happen and not happen in equal meshure - that's not to say that im indiferent. I would Love him back in our team but at the same time I think hmm probably not

That sums it up for me too.
I used to forgive him his foibles because he was so exhilarating and infectious when he took the game by the scruff  and just lead the team virtually single handed.
I loved him, he cares and after last season i'll put up with the odd bollock for some of that !!
Welcome back Sideshow :chillpillsmile:

35 minutes ago, MissouriBlue said:

Crazy thought... Could he be our new first choice LB? We know he's handy on the ball bombing forward? Surely Conte isn't that crazy? Utility role perhaps? LB/CB/CDM, slotting in wherever we need him.

Maybe its Conte's way of replicating his Juve/Italy sides?

3-5-2 with Cesc being covered by 3 defen ders, Azpi and Oscar/willian on the wings as wing backs, Matic and Kante in the middle. Hazard as the second striker. Luiz can play the sweeper role and add numbers to the mid when required. I mean I am just spit-balling since, WOW, we "re-signed" David Luiz. How utterly horrendous can it get?

5 hours ago, Chelsbear said:

I've missed your posts Davey.

If I wasn't as lazy I'd like to think I'd post similar to the above.

Bravo sir ::clap2::

Thank you kindly squire.

@g3.7 He's not Mario Balotelli, he's a far more stable character, I think you're being a bit unfair. Trying to find crumbs of comfort for you, I'd say it's obvious Conte wants a ball-playing CB to implement his style of play. He needed someone that can bring it out from the back, maybe someone that can hit a long diagonal, and we've finally got somebody who can shoot. He's also not afraid to mix it. These are the positives, there are plenty of negatives as you say. I would have waited and gone with who we've got but if he replaces Gary Cahill then that represents an upgrade of sorts, because I just don't think Gary Cahill is that good. Conte may want to go 3 at the back, at least some of the time, and that may also be behind this, because he may have felt he couldn't play that system without his Bonucci type. Now I'm not saying he's a Bonucci but you get my point. Remember, Bonucci was the first player we went after but Juve said no.

Like you, I'm not too thrilled, but I'm looking for positives now. Look, Ranieri won the title, with Leicester. The older I get the more I realise how little I understand football. Weird things happen. This could turn out to be a good signing. It could do, the possibility exists. I have no reason to distrust Conte at this stage, it may be a compromise on his part but one he felt was worth making, for reasons only he will know. He's got an idea in mind and let's wait to see what it is.

Conte will demand commitment above all else, and he'll get that from David Luiz, he'll also have a tactical idea and that's where he'll have his work cut out with this player, but he's not stupid, he knows the player, everybody knows the player and he thought it was a signing worth making. One thing I noticed about Italy, Buffon rolled the ball out a lot, to his defenders, even when they were under pressure. You're not going to do that with Kurt Zouma.

Anyway let's see. It shall be interesting, to say the least. Long-term, I don't agree with it, for reasons I gave before. Short-term, for this season, it just might make us a better team. You never know, he might surprise a few people.

Here's hoping.