Big Pete is BACK

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

I'd love him back at the club but I would question him as technical director/dof? Does he have an eye for an outfield player? You hear about people like Campos who has a dedicated team of scouts but Big Pete is still playing so surely his mind is on training with Arsenal every day. I'd love him back in some capacity and to work alongside an experienced DOF definitely but to take on the whole thing I would worry a little. Not doubting his intelligence either.

Edited by rtwelch

He wouldn't be my first choice, mainly because of the lack of experience, however he has 2 very important factors that make him an attractive candidate. 

Firstly he knows the club, he knows the fans, he knows what it takes to be a success here and in the premier league.

Secondly, he is very close to Roman, so I feel his voice would be heard. I think that is massive, because if we were to bring in someone like Campos, then it is debatable whether he would be able to influence marina, let alone Roman himself. 

Something needs to change though, so hopefully we move in a positive direction.

When we sold him to Arsenal at the time I was fuming, not at Pete but at the club, because I thought we just given our rivals a really good keeper, luckily his career wasn't too great at Arsenal. 

I still love Petr though, as people have said he was so instrumental in our Champions League win, absolute superb keeper and bloke in general. Can't hold it against him for leaving Chelsea and wanting to stay in London, a 100 times the keeper Courtois ever was. 

I could see the bigger picture, we had a young promising keeper and a former great that wanted to play full time. RA did him a favour letting him go to Arsenal.

I never forget how Bates started giving Hoddle a place to train and then it led to Gullit, Vialli and cups.

Being a spiritual chap have noticed generally what you give out you get back though there may be a time delay.

13 hours ago, Strider6003 said:

I could see the bigger picture, we had a young promising keeper and a former great that wanted to play full time. RA did him a favour letting him go to Arsenal.

This... he wanted to play first choice, and his kids were settled in London. I thought it showed a little bit of class by us (often sadly lacking)

On 23/01/2019 at 22:49, mad_mac said:

The greatest keeper we've ever had.  From Rennes for just over 11 million.  Thanks for everything, and Didier is right; were it not for Petr, we'd not have lifted the CL in Munich that night.

He went the right way for every penalty Bayern took that night. He also got a hand to Schweinsteiger's penalty that hit the post too which some people tend to forget. If he doesn't touch it with his finger tips, then it probably goes in the net.

• 1 year later...

15 hours ago, DukesOfHazard said:

And he’s out of retirement as a precautionary measure...

Is that the official line ? 

I’m thinking that Peta has watched Kepa in training for a while now and has realised that as long as he’s got a hole in his bum, Kepa will never be a top 4 CL keeper, hence the decision to get himself included in the squad and available for selection.

It cannot be a surprise to Kepa that there is a need for additional goal keeping staff, he must realise that he’s playing way below what is expected and is being criticised by everyone - he must surely realise that it’s all justified and he must seriously doubt his abilities, but bringing back the bloke who did your job before,  just to ‘help out’  - Kepa’s death knell I reckon ?? 

Still, 200k a week until 2025, there are worse things for him to worry about I guess ?

When I first graced the Shed as a spotty teen The Cat was in goal, he was 35 and much better than Kepa imo, he played for Chelsea until 1979 aged 38, 495 appearances. So if Pete is fit and we can forego playing out from the back why shouldn’t he be on the bench over the limp wristed aforementioned. I’d take a retired Pete over Big Willy. 

Everything about this story is just so heart warming. The absolute dedication, love and respect he has for the club (along with that spine we had through the noughties), is untouchable. Cech is the epitome of what every professional in football should aspire to be. I am really glad the club continue to involve him in a manner of different roles.

We would be privileged to see him put on the gloves again for us, even in a 'farewell' game of sorts towards the end of the season.

Saying that, even Cech couldn't solve the shambles in defence and his parting gift will probably be a 7-6 thriller.

We all know he retired too early, his last game was starting in a European final which speaks to that. That being said I wonder how being out of the game for so long will have affected him.

On paper he may well be 2nd choice in ability but the club are saying he is an emergency 4th choice keeper. In any case it can only be good for Mendy and Kepa that he will be training with them.