Ajax targeted him aerially last night. Whenever they played it long it would be in Tomori's direction, with Ziyech or Tadic winning the first ball in the air. 

Height isn't a problem for him, but for the time being I think he will need to be paired with someone more physically dominant (a Zouma or a Rudiger). 

After an incredible start Tomori has had a few shaky games, with the pairing of Zouma and Tomori it was always going to be a case of who is going to perform better and retain there place once Rudiger is fit... it seems like Zouma will be retaining his place with Tomori being relegated to the bench.

However having said that he has been an absolute revelation at the back and would compliment any of the other 3 CB's, his ceiling as a footballer is so high that its scary!

The look on his face when the 4th went in was horrible after all his hard work trying to defend against two players. I really felt for him. Glad we got the draw just for him. 

On 06/11/2019 at 14:27, Munkworth said:

The look on his face when the 4th went in was horrible after all his hard work trying to defend against two players. I really felt for him. Glad we got the draw just for him. 

I actually thought he couldve been a bit stronger in the initial tackle. 

I think he's the kind of defender that would benefit from a top defender beside him. This is where the lack of experience comes into play. If he was playing beside a John Terry for example, he'd probably be on edge most of the game to not be so careless and if he did John would make sure to not have him do it again. Unfortunately the closest person to that (Rudiger) is injured so I don't know whether things are  going to improve anytime soon.

I probably sound pessimistic but moving forward I dont have a lot of faith in the matches against the big teams where defence counts. At least until Rudiger comes back or we buy a top quality centre-half.

24 minutes ago, jack_super_class said:

He's not great on the ball is he.

He was when he first got into the team, he seems to have lost his confidence of late though. He's reminding me of Christiansen. He started well when he got in, he looked like he could go on to be world class, but then made a mistake and never really recovered.

1 minute ago, Scott Harris said:

He was when he first got into the team, he seems to have lost his confidence of late though. He's reminding me of Christiansen. He started well when he got in, he looked like he could go on to be world class, but then made a mistake and never really recovered.

When he first made those mistakes against Lille I said this straight away, hoping it doesn't become another Christensen situation. Unfortunately it did, but fortunately it didn't cost us in the next set of games. 

It's calmed down now, he's spending less time on the ball, and he played against a very difficult side who press you very hard. I believe he's the 2nd defender to have the most time on the ball just behind Van Dijk, that's probably why he's made the mistakes. I'm still hopeful of him, he'll get better, it's hard playing in the Championship then instantly playing top level football, that's a big transition. 

I haven't being impressed with tomori lately. He has pace but positioning and blocking which are vital for a defender have being lacking. Like christiansen he is a bit too light-weight atm. 

Tomori certainly can play with the ball at his feet but he's quite risky in his  play esp against pressure -- consequently puts a lot of pressure on the others within our defence and midfield.

12 minutes ago, Amputechture said:

Rudiger?

Is he really, though? Personally I think Rudiger is a tad overrated on this board. He's better with the ball than Zouma but he can't effectivelly spread the ball around like, for example, David Luiz, who was, for all his faults, the only real ball playing defender we had in our ranks. What Rudiger does have is self confidence to attempt those Hollywood passes, but for the most part they lack the required quality and precision.

50 minutes ago, Amputechture said:

Rudiger?

If i had to trust one to take the ball past a player, i'd rather it be Tomori. Rudiger has the confidence to try long diagonals but very often overhit them. 

1 hour ago, JMaher94 said:

He is actually good on the ball, the problem is his composure currently.

Maybe he is but so many games this season he has looked uncomfortable with the ball at his feet when being pressed and has given the ball away and then we have nearly conceded. Also Jorginho keeps telling him to come out with the ball several times and he just doesn't and gives it to Zouma.

2 hours ago, RIP Mourinho said:

What CB do we have that is better with the ball at his feet? 

Id say Rudiger. I even think Zouma is better on the ball than Tomori. Now and again Zouma goes on a run like he did vs Ajax when he shot over the bar. Something i dont think Tomori could do.