Official Thomas Tuchel *Now Sacked*

1 hour ago, Argo said:

I was against 343 when TT started doing it and was hoping it was just a temporary measure but more I think about it more I think it suits our squad perfectly.

Azpi is at his best in the hybrid RCB role and long term I think it could bring the very best out of Reece too. Christensen and Rudi are better in that formation as are our two CB prospects out on loan in Ampadu and Guehi. Mount, Werner, Pulisic and Havertz are suited to a tucked in two behind the striker and a false 9 while CHO has developed a new lease of life at wingback. Could also prolong Silva's career being in the centre of a 3.

Unfortunately as with anything they'll be losers and in this case Ziyech and Chilwell (unless he can adapt to a LCB role) fall into that category and we will need two investments at wing back to bench Alonso (who would still make an excellent rotation option) and challenge Callum (maybe Lamptey back for the latter?) but the more I think about it the more I feel it could work.

To make it work the wingbacks are crucial and usually the difference between it being too defensive a formation and a well balanced formation tough to combat, they have to be almost wingers going forward as there's a fine line between a fluid back 3 and a flat back 5, we will need atleast two options on both sides.

I partially agree with that, I think from a defensive standpoint it suits us very well especially if we are looking towards the likes of Azpi, Christensen, Rudiger & Alonso however I feel as though those 4 are not the strongest defenders we have in the team. James, Silva, Zouma & Chilwell in my view is a more consistent and balanced backline and allows us to play a back 4 without losing much defensive solidity but allows us to play an additional forward. 

I think the reason TT prefers 3 CB's is because he recognizes that the best combination in midfield is Jorg & Kova and with an additional CB he can play that pairing without worrying too much about Jorginho's limitations defensively. I don't have much issue in playing 3-4-3 against the stronger teams but I am not completely in favor of playing 3 CB's against the likes of Newcastle, Sheffield & Burnley. I understand people will come back with "Oh Azpi is playing like a FB in the system and getting forward etc." I would much rather play a genuine attacking player such as Kai to get minutes under the belt and build some sort of chemistry in the front line over an attacking Azpi.

I just couldn't comprehend dropping points in the last 2 league games and finishing both games with 3 CB's and no genuine CF on the pitch. 

He definitely has a different tactical mind, he gives more and more hope about him. 

Let's hope we will continue in that way, I must say that I can see a big change in the team. Better possession, better defending understanding. 

There is still offensive improvement needed, but if we want to be a top team, defence must come first.

Liverpool are in sh*t form but they're still a good team, had to go into this one with discipline. Solid performance that! 

On paper TT has done a great job so far, I would say it's only the Southampton game he's royally f**ked up, besides that, so far so good. I just hope we get better on the attack in the easier fixtures. 

1 minute ago, IliyaKrostin said:

He definitely has a different tactical mind, he gives more and more hope about him. 

Let's hope we will continue in that way, I must say that I can see a big change in the team. Better possession, better defending understanding. 

There is still offensive improvement needed, but if we want to be a top team, defence must come first.

For me, the improvement in attack comes down to the players, not the manager. The instruction is there and the players have the quality. They must deliver. 

Tuchel has turned us into a whole different animal now. Can you believe the run unbeaten?! 

He’s got it completely right tonight. And we enjoyed a first half that was so so good. If it wasn’t for var it should have been 2-0. The second half was v3y good defensively but we sat too deep for my liking. We should have controlled better the midfield to get some escape, but very good performance overall.

I'm looking forward to him doing this in a game thats an actual test.....

Nah got it right tonight, much more forward thinking in attack, more direct into spaces behind their defence. Good job well done. Good listening to Mason saying we were set up for the space in behind the defence.

One thing I have to say aswell, even though we are boring and toothless going forward. I don't brick it as much as I have done the past few years, I'm quite confident (well more than usual) that we can see a game out, the defence is far better than what it was. That's one promising aspect. I just hope that doesn't immediately change when we go back to a back 4. 

I have to admit I was extremely sceptical when he was appointed. That was because I was afraid of watching something similar to Sarriball all over again.

But from what we've seen so far he deserves all praise. And although I was against Frank's sacking it is hard to imagine beating Spurs, Atletico and Liverpool away with him still in charge. 

There is still a lot of work to do but I'm sure Tuchel can continue in the same way! 

Edited by wizardous

4 minutes ago, Slojo said:

One thing I have to say aswell, even though we are boring and toothless going forward. I don't brick it as much as I have done the past few years, 

I don't know, that last 10 tonight was hard work to watch.

1 minute ago, dkw said:

Firminho's brilliance almotst got them an equaliser, but I do think besides that they were quiet. Only 2 goals conceded in how many games now? I think defensively we're definitely a lot better. Not to take anything away from the start of the season, but December and January we were letting a lot of goals in. At the moment we look far more organised and tight at the back. A back 3 obviously helps, but Christensen and Rudiger especially are playing like they did under Conte. 

4 minutes ago, dkw said:

It always will be against a team like Liverpool but we are definitely a team that doesn't look like we will concede when defending an attack. Still toothless up front but Tuchel deserves credit. A proven and experienced manager we have. Already beaten Mourinho, Simeone and now Klopp all away from home.

Guest Sindre

Really think he's managed to get the right mentality into the players already. And by that I mean the kind of mentality you need to win the big titles.

To beat Tottenham, Atletico and Liverpool away in your first five weeks at any club is very, very impressive.