Romelu Lukaku back to Chelsea - and gone again!

Chelsea Megastore
Chelsea Megastore

Chelsea Megastore

and so it begins....

I expect this thread to like Jorginho's.

He had an okay game against a really tough side and was isolated for large parts of it. 

Didnt always do well in the physical battles, although he had a nice touch and turn vs matip in the 1st half, and aldo had Vvd on his arse aswell at one point. 

Laid a nice ball through to Kovacic to create the best chance of the second half. 

There were a couple times he picked out the wrong pass, but there was also a couple of times, he shouldve been played in, once by havertz, and once by Mount. Its their 2nd game together, when they build chemistry, we will be lethal on transitions, and he wont be coming up against Van Dijk every week. 

Time to bring back Werner, Lukaku to be benched!😁

Jokes aside, he's decent, the missed pass and runs just due to lack of understanding between players. It's only his second week, will get better as the season goes. Unlucky with those shots been blocked, credit to the defenders, and on another day the ball could have bounced to anywhere else.

8 hours ago, Bob stark said:

You got to be joking. 

Lukaku was playing as lone st against 3 player by himself. You can't expect Lukaku to be messi and just beat 3 player one on one. 

even messi won't beat those mate

i agree, nothing wrong with him today , no striker in the world can win all the battles again good CB especially when you are outnumbered. maybe should have played the pass to harvertz and not tripping over the ball while dribbling to make some fail compilation , but apart of that, solid game from him

imo , we would have won that game comfortably if it stays 11 vs 11 , and would probably get the second goal too

, liverpool don't really create much against us when it's 11 vs 11 while we look dangerous everytime we attack

Edited by Wonmin

I thought he was excellent given the circumstances. Kept the Pool defenders on their toes the entire game. Some poor touches and decisions but nothing exceptional. He could have had a goal (block by Matip) and at least one assist, so he created chances throughout.

Weird reaction by some to what was such a feel good performance so early on in the evolution of our new look attack.

1 minute ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Some people getting the knives out after just 2 games? Almost feels like you're willing him to fail just so you can say "told you so". 

I mean, are we really going to get this every time he doesn't score or whatever? 

I wouldn't take it personal if i was Romelu. Whoever plays up front and fails to score, when we don't win, will be targeted, Timo took the flak last season for obvious reasons. 

I think he did well considering that we were up against Taylor and the media darlings who can never do anything wrong. He did battle well VVD and Matip, though I hoped he had been more physical against VVD. Also, he could have been in two one v one situations if Havertz and Mount had put the ball through to him, and he could have assisted Havertz too. But this is bound to happen with two games in and no time to gel in preseason. Overall, I think that he had a good game considering that Taylor f**ked us up and he was isolated up front all second half. Maybe I would have brought in Werner for him in the second half to help with the pressing and having a very fast player for the counters.

5 hours ago, Sindre said:

Here is a video of the same situation. Both Kante and Havertz should have played him through.

Spot on, this is not new. How many times did we have complaints Werner was in a good position and we did not put him through and we deflected it of cause he probably woild miss anyways?

How can mount spot a 60 yard pass and put it on a penny for Havertz in in CL bit cannot see him 6 yards away for a tap in?

How can a player of Kantes brilliance not see that simple ball to put Lukaku in and, very next ball, Havertz on his stronger foot not bail out Kante and play a simple ball to Lukaku to put him in? 

Lukaku is not exempt from this, however he was not here last season for us to see if this regular blindspot rubbish from him or just a couple of rare errors.

Look at West hams first goal yesterday. Multiple right choice passes and a goal. Mount, Havertz and, when they play Ziyech, Werner and Pulisic need to do so much better at this.

43 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

Spot on, this is not new. How many times did we have complaints Werner was in a good position and we did not put him through and we deflected it of cause he probably woild miss anyways?

How can mount spot a 60 yard pass and put it on a penny for Havertz in in CL bit cannot see him 6 yards away for a tap in?

How can a player of Kantes brilliance not see that simple ball to put Lukaku in and, very next ball, Havertz on his stronger foot not bail out Kante and play a simple ball to Lukaku to put him in? 

Lukaku is not exempt from this, however he was not here last season for us to see if this regular blindspot rubbish from him or just a couple of rare errors.

Look at West hams first goal yesterday. Multiple right choice passes and a goal. Mount, Havertz and, when they play Ziyech, Werner and Pulisic need to do so much better at this.

Nah, making wrong pass is normal. If you continue to do it again and again then you are ross barkley or Willian. We watch game from birds eye view, it is very easy to spot where is the runner, where is the space, who is offside etc2. What player see on the field is very different. 

Tuchel won't be worried about this at all. The more our front 3 play together, the better their understanding will be

Edited by Bob stark

3 hours ago, coco said:

I wouldn't take it personal if i was Romelu. Whoever plays up front and fails to score, when we don't win, will be targeted, Timo took the flak last season for obvious reasons. 

Werner problem really wasn't goalscoring. It his overall skillset that is the problem. 

4 hours ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Some people getting the knives out after just 2 games? Almost feels like you're willing him to fail just so you can say "told you so". 

I mean, are we really going to get this every time he doesn't score or whatever? 

No, it's simply that I have watched Lukaku for 10 years and it's been a recurring theme in these types of games. If he didn't have previous form for this kind of thing, then nobody would be saying anything.

Unfair to criticize him yesterday, the 2nd half he was up top all alone basically. Historically he’s never set the place on fire either. 
Let’s see how he does against Villa next month, reckon he could show us what he’s all about. 

4 hours ago, RMH said:

I think he did well considering that we were up against Taylor and the media darlings who can never do anything wrong. He did battle well VVD and Matip, though I hoped he had been more physical against VVD. Also, he could have been in two one v one situations if Havertz and Mount had put the ball through to him, and he could have assisted Havertz too. But this is bound to happen with two games in and no time to gel in preseason. Overall, I think that he had a good game considering that Taylor f**ked us up and he was isolated up front all second half. Maybe I would have brought in Werner for him in the second half to help with the pressing and having a very fast player for the counters.

He had as good a game as anyone else who played. But if you don't like the player you can always find fault.

He should have done this, he should have done that. Its not hard to see those on here who want him to fail.

10 minutes ago, M.M.B said:

He had as good a game as anyone else who played. But if you don't like the player you can always find fault.

He should have done this, he should have done that. Its not hard to see those on here who want him to fail.

As someone who didn't want him I thought he played well in the first half but the second half shown one of my biggest fears about him, he was jogging around while the rest of the team were working their bollax off to maintain the draw, we were as good as down to 9 when Liverpool were in possession.

My worry is he will play 90 minutes every week no matter what, £97m signing or not if the match situation doesn't suit him the match situation doesn't suit him and he shouldn't be on.

37 minutes ago, Argo said:

As someone who didn't want him I thought he played well in the first half but the second half shown one of my biggest fears about him, he was jogging around while the rest of the team were working their bollax off to maintain the draw, we were as good as down to 9 when Liverpool were in possession.

My worry is he will play 90 minutes every week no matter what, £97m signing or not if the match situation doesn't suit him the match situation doesn't suit him and he shouldn't be on.

I agree to a certain extent. I think he was blowing late on & should have come off. Put on Werner for the last ten minutes with balls over the top, diagonal or what ever to give their pairing something to think about... but that's not Rls fault that is down to TT & a different thread.