Chelsea v Zenit St Petersburg (CL) Tues 14th Sep KO 20:00 BST

coco

Mount needs to do things alot more simple, guilty of taking one to many turns today and left his passing boots at home. Some great pressing and ball recoverys though. Ziyech not good enough, I would pick Werner 10 out of 10 times over him. Thank god Lukaku is on fire.

1 minute ago, chelseablueboy said:

No at our best but off to a win...

That'll do, bring on spuds...

Sums it up pretty lethargic bound to improve on Sunday though. I've been patient with Ziyech but I'm just not seeing it not a top rank player.

7 minutes ago, Argo said:

We miss Werner from a tactical perspective.

There you go I've said it.

Not for me in games like today. In the big games id agree his movement in behind is great. No space for him today, and I think he wouldve struggled like we saw in these sort of games last season.

24 minutes ago, Sindre said:

Seemingly lots of players who's not in form. Mount, Ziyech and James in particular were very, very poor.

For Tottenham i'd probably go for the back three that finished the game with Azpi at wingback.

I'm inclined to agree, James didn't look good tonight. But with Christensen as RCB we lose Azpi's crosses from deep, which could be important against a very defensive Spurs side, so not sure what's better...

25 minutes ago, Argo said:

We miss Werner from a tactical perspective.

There you go I've said it.

I agree. His pressing is relentless and his off the ball runs create space for others but unfortunately his finishing isn't up to par. I can't wait till we pair him up with Romelu

I'm American and have been a Chelsea supporter for 18 years since I was 12. I've been to the Bridge a few times before and was even featured in the club magazine in 2010 for being a fan from the USA but was finally was able to attend my first in person match tonight. We weren't great but god did I love every second of it. I will remember this night forever. What an atmosphere. I can only hope that my next match isn't another 18 years!

14 minutes ago, Butterhampton FC said:

I'm American and have been a Chelsea supporter for 18 years since I was 12. I've been to the Bridge a few times before and was even featured in the club magazine in 2010 for being a fan from the USA but was finally was able to attend my first in person match tonight. We weren't great but god did I love every second of it. I will remember this night forever. What an atmosphere. I can only hope that my next match isn't another 18 years!

Where were you sitting? At least your first game wasn’t a goalless bore draw like it looked like it was going to be :laugh2:

It’s going to be a long season you can already feel it. Every team will come out and try to run us off the ground. Main risk is Jorginho and kova getting over worked. We can cover kova at a pinch but only Kante can cover Jorginho and then in a very different way. So we better keep Jorginho fit. Tuchel can’t seem to coach the killer pass into the attackers. Zenit worked very hard. 

1 hour ago, Strider6003 said:

Lukaku certainly now looks a good buy.

Good to get our first points on the CL trail, however scrappy.

Was a good buy from day one, just a shame it didn’t happen four years ago when it was all lined up.

Edited by The Brit

1 hour ago, comtrend said:

Mount needs to do things alot more simple, guilty of taking one to many turns today and left his passing boots at home. Some great pressing and ball recoverys though. Ziyech not good enough, I would pick Werner 10 out of 10 times over him. Thank god Lukaku is on fire.

One of Mount’s worst games…but I’d still have him in for Werner. Werner’s only asset is his pace and he would have had no room to use that tonight.

I'll put this down to pre-tournament nerves.  We are the defending Champions and I am wondering whether the players were not as relaxed as we saw last year at the start under Frank.  All the same a pretty average performance throughout the team. Best get out sh*t together before Spurs

When a team comes with a 541 tactic against us, we struggle. Last season we would have drawn this game, with a proper centre forward we’ve beaten them without playing that great. But, the difference is now we are scoring more of those few chances we get, so big change from last season. I don’t think it was a bad game, it is just difficult and frustrating having to play through a f**king wall.

5 hours ago, ozboy said:

It’s going to be a long season you can already feel it. Every team will come out and try to run us off the ground. Main risk is Jorginho and kova getting over worked. We can cover kova at a pinch but only Kante can cover Jorginho and then in a very different way. So we better keep Jorginho fit. Tuchel can’t seem to coach the killer pass into the attackers. Zenit worked very hard. 

I've always said it that Mason Mount is such a weird player. His passes are poor. And it is such a bad news for an attacking midfielder to have poor passes. He can score goals in few occasions but that's everything about his game.

That's why, for me, he's not my first choice to start, I want someone who gives more to the striker. And I think that's why at times Havertz and Ziyech starts. And at times Pulisic. But it seems Ziyech is showing us that he doesn't deserve to start now. So sincerely I will choose Pulisic and Havertz as first choice in those two positions for now.

I feel anyone playing in those positions must be better than what Mount is giving us, especially to score by himself and create chances for the striker.