Following Our Nearest & Dearest Rivals, 2017/2018

Chelsea Megastore
Chelsea Megastore

Chelsea Megastore

At 4-1, I was 100% sure it would be at least 4-3. 100%. I even called both goals as "oh this is where they score then". It's just what Liverpool do.

A 1-4 defeat for City would have been great, as it would have been a damage to their confidence, to be so roundly beaten, but unfortunately, with Liverpool letting them back into it, even though it's a defeat, they will take no real loss of confidence, because they were so close to levelling it up.

As for Liverpool, they could well finish above us this season. Watching them today and then remembering how we played, is like watching a different sport. Every single individual in a red shirt showed more energy, desire and will to win, then our entire team put together yesterday.

Football pundits in this country are idiots. One minute they are saying the Premier League is not as good as it used to be because defending is terrible, and then they praise a game like that and say it's a great advert for the Premier League. It was a good game, but the defending was awful, from both sides.

11 minutes ago, Zeta said:

As for Liverpool, they could well finish above us this season. Watching them today and then remembering how we played, is like watching a different sport. Every single individual in a red shirt showed more energy, desire and will to win, then our entire team put together yesterday.

It amazes me how quickly teams can lose their momentum and form. It wasn't that long ago we were playing some great football and playing with confidence and looking well placed to finish 2nd. Now we look anything but and you have to be concerned about top 4. But this season it has been the same with just about every team accept City. It's all about going on that run and gaining confidence. It could come down to players mental strength and character. We had it last season and when Hazard, Fabregas, Pedro, Willian etc are all on song we are difficult to live with. But this season we look mentally weak - not helped by the likes of Bakayoko and Morata who are struggling and neither would be in the starting 11 for me if we had a stronger squad.

8 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

Football pundits in this country are idiots. One minute they are saying the Premier League is not as good as it used to be because defending is terrible, and then they praise a game like that and say it's a great advert for the Premier League. It was a good game, but the defending was awful, from both sides.

True, but give me that any day over our run of 0-0 bore fests!

1 hour ago, CFCCAN said:

Sky are embarrassing when it comes to Liverpool....

I still remember Steven Gerrard's last match at Anfield.

Probably the most embarrassing bit of TV ever by Sky Sports.

Held the show from inside one of the stands with the Liverpool fans, interviewed him on the pitch before the match etc..

Sky absolutely love Liverpool - listen to Martin Tyler's voice every time Liverpool scored compared to when City scored. 

12 minutes ago, 2211 said:

I still remember Steven Gerrard's last match at Anfield.

Probably the most embarrassing bit of TV ever by Sky Sports.

Held the show from inside one of the stands with the Liverpool fans, interviewed him on the pitch before the match etc..

Sky absolutely love Liverpool - listen to Martin Tyler's voice every time Liverpool scored compared to when City scored. 

I remember when they were very close to winning the league at one point, f**king hell

It was article after article about it, the 96, Anfield, Steven Gerrard blah blah blah, honestly I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for Jose's bus parking masterclass that day. 

I'm sorry to say Liverpool look like they are making more progress than we are at the moment. It looks as though Klopp is getting close to the team he wants whereas Conte seems to be trying to squeeze something different out of our squad who maybe don't have that adaptability.

Bakayoko is offering us nothing. I was interested by Frank Lampard's comments on MOTD last night about Bakayoko's lack of effort. The guy wouldn't get picked at Liverpool. From what I can see if Liverpool fix a couple of positions they could be serious challengers next season.  

Klopp is hands down one of the best manager in the league for me, it's painful to see him do so well at Liverpool but I think you've got to give him his dues. Just look at their team on paper and it's amazing how he's managing these results. 

Losing Coutinho will be a big stump though, they'll need a replacement asap. 

Still, I'm not on board with the prospect of them going to win the league or anything, they'll need some real quality before that's a possibility, City are too strong. 

35 minutes ago, carrickblue said:

I'm sorry to say Liverpool look like they are making more progress than we are at the moment. It looks as though Klopp is getting close to the team he wants whereas Conte seems to be trying to squeeze something different out of our squad who maybe don't have that adaptability.

Bakayoko is offering us nothing. I was interested by Frank Lampard's comments on MOTD last night about Bakayoko's lack of effort. The guy wouldn't get picked at Liverpool. From what I can see if Liverpool fix a couple of positions they could be serious challengers next season.  

klopp was known for his intense press and high tempo football back at borussia dortmund. as much as people do sh*t on klopp, he's no slouch. to have won the bundesliga twice over bayern munich is no easy feat. also, he took dortmund deep into the champions league and had dortmund looking like a dangerous team. liverpool are definitely improving their squad and eventually they will be challenging again, no doubt. i think there's a reason why quite a few chelsea fans would like to see tuchel at chelsea, because his style of football is positive, he looks up to both klopp and pep, he isn't reluctant to play youth in big games or small, and he isn't a cheque book manager. only problem is, his dortmund resignation was apparently because of clashes with the dortmund board, so...