Super Frank Lampard

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Sack or Back ???  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Sack or Back Frank ?

• Sack now.
    • Back until the end of the season, unless relegation dooms, then evaluate.

This poll is closed to new votes

Happy to give him this season and the next to bed in his team. By then we can truly say it is his side and he has had ample opportunities to get them to play the way he wants.

See where we are then, dont want another trigger happy firing because things are rough. Lamps did a heck of a lot for our club as a player and that gains him this grace imo. I know some will disagree and expect silverware upon silverware after the large investment.

Roman promised him time, I hope he is given it.

10 hours ago, coco said:

I would love to see some of you aficionados try the job for a month, maybe then you might realise it's easy to pretend you know what your'e on talking about, something else all together when you have to walk the walk.

So what does the former Championship Playoff Final losing manager have in him to manage Chelsea that all the other CPF losing managers don’t?

There was no logic or reason in hiring Lampard unless it’s an intentional stop gap. We are relying on pure fluke for him to do well. 
I like Lamps, but blind faith isn’t a tool for success in any walk of life. 

4 minutes ago, cuppaT said:

We are relying on pure fluke for him to do well. 
I like Lamps, but blind faith isn’t a tool for success in any walk of life. 

Real Madrid = Zinedine Zidane

Juventus = Andrea Pirlo

Manchester United = Ole Gunnar Solskjær

This is the new wave of managers, Frank Lampard is known to be one of the smartest players in history of the Premier League, he finished top 4 in his first season and reached the FA Cup final.

Lets let him work in peace because he's still building a team, because of him Werner and Havertz were excited to join our squad so it looks like he is makinh sure that our future isn't based on a pure fluke.

Nobody is having a blind faith, just faith.

I don't really get this obsession with Pochettino.

It's not even the fact he hasn't won anything (can't hold not winning anything at Spurs against him) but he's sh*t in the market, his brand of football isn't that great to watch and is reliant on forcing opposition mistakes (although admittedly his sides are excellent at it) and there's question marks on whether he himself can keep his cool when the heat rises, 15/16 especially he totally cracked.

If God for bid the time comes we had to with a heavy heart say goodbye to Frank, Pochettino is NOT the right guy.

8 hours ago, Argo said:

I don't really get this obsession with Pochettino.

It's not even the fact he hasn't won anything (can't hold not winning anything at Spurs against him) but he's sh*t in the market, his brand of football isn't that great to watch and is reliant on forcing opposition mistakes (although admittedly his sides are excellent at it) and there's question marks on whether he himself can keep his cool when the heat rises, 15/16 especially he totally cracked.

If God for bid the time comes we had to with a heavy heart say goodbye to Frank, Pochettino is NOT the right guy.

I agree .. poach is definitely not the guy for us.. the fact that even spurs fans were excited to be getting Mou because he is a  “winner” tells you all.

he has a pretty poor record with transfers .. and his teams always seem to falter at the wrong moment.. it’s always easy to over achieve when expectations are low - this is the stick lamps is getting beaten by .. I would be pretty down if we decided to go with Poch..

23 hours ago, Deino said:

Frank needs to rip his tactics book and properly assess the team.

We don't get the basics right but Frank tries to play an intricate fluid system when no chemistry has been created yet. All we get now is sideways and backwards passing, this is a young team but it's not adventurous at all

IMO last season was the most exciting football we had played in years. Moving the ball quickly, committing players forward in numbers meant we were great to watch. Sideways balls, passing for the sake of passing and not giving players the freedom to move in front of the ball that was the "Sarriball" I saw, and Christ 90% of the time it was dire to watch. What bailed Sarri out was the genius of Eden Hazard full stop.

Frank's major short-comings for me are the inability to resolve the keeper issue (hopefully solved with Mendy), and to get an experienced, physically powerful defensive midfielder to effectively screen the back four. But personally, on the whole, I think he has done a fantastic job to date and I am very, very excited about the signings he has made. 

I like the crew on the bench but I'm starting to think they lack defensive authority. And by defensive authority I don't necessarily mean John Terry but someone that knows how to tell players to play well and correctly defensively. 

A good assistant might be the difference. We all remember Ray Willkins. Nobody is talking about Arteta but City collapsed after his departure. Something close to that happened even to Ferguson and the Portuguese assistant, I forgot his name.

Huge problem with most of the coaches nowadays is that they are looking for friends to make assistants instead of professionals. 

Frank's got great offensive ideas but defensively, let's face the reality, he is dead lost. The thing is his offensive qualities is too good to get rid off and most importantly, he is respected at the club and everybody loves him. He needs a better assistant. 

Edited by Droopy

1 minute ago, Droopy said:

I like the crew on the bench but I'm starting to think they lack defensive authority. And by defensive authority I don't necessarily mean John Terry but someone that knows how to tell players to play well and correctly defensively. 

A good assistant might be the difference. We all remember Ray Willkins. Nobody is talking about Arteta but City collapsed after his departure. Something close to that happened even to Ferguson and the Portuguese assistant, I forgot his name.

Huge problem with most of the coaches nowadays is that they are looking for friends to make assistants instead of professionals. 

Carlos Queiroz. 

Thing is that Judy Morris has done a great job for the younger teams... I think we have a good personnel we just need to get our wingers back and start scoring more.

14 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

Carlos Queiroz. 

Thing is that Judy Morris has done a great job for the younger teams... I think we have a good personnel we just need to get our wingers back and start scoring more.

Yeah, exactly. The defense among the youth is the least of their priorities in most cases sadly. That's why the experience is much more important to a defender than it is for a forward or midfielder.

I am not saying about replacing Jody but about finding another man. Lampard staff looks short anyway. But if we have to replace Jody with a brilliant defensive mind I'd do it. There is no place for sentimentality in football.

Edited by Droopy

53 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

Carlos Queiroz. 

It's Judy Murray, not Judy Morris, and she's more famous for training tennis players than footballers

40 minutes ago, Droopy said:

Yeah, exactly. The defense among the youth is the least of their priorities in most cases sadly. That's why the experience is much more important to a defender than it is for a forward or midfielder.

I am not saying about replacing Jody but about finding another man. Lampard staff looks short anyway. But if we have to replace Jody with a brilliant defensive mind I'd do it. There is no place for sentimentality in football.

Thing is that Chelsea and Frank brought in this summer Anthony Barry from Wigan to be the defensive coach, so they are trying to correct the defensive problems we have.

I agree with every thing Spiller said earlier. I was against Frank getting the job on the grounds of having no experience. No player gets to be a star of a big team after one season learning the profession. After he got the job he did well particularly obviously with the young players.  Score Tammy was injured the team was going great  

then Tammy and Tomori were injured and only mount of the youngsters was playing. 

now the problem is a lack of style, a lack of  a system and particularly I’m=n defence a differ3nt combination every game. Pick a back 4 and stick with it I say. Let the others earn their way up in. My back 4 includes Chilwell and Zouma. 

3 hours ago, just said:

What bailed Sarri out was the genius of Eden Hazard full stop.

Ah, the ghost of Sarri still haunts us to this day. Almost ruined us!

On a serious note, this is really unfair on Sarri. Hazard had his best statistical season for us under Sarri, mainly because he didn't have to play as a wide midfield player and therefore could receive the ball 15 meters further up the pitch. However, if you want to argue this point, then you would also have to argue that Lampard got bailed out last year by Pulisic (who Lampard didn't have all that much faith in early in the season) and Giroud (who played third fiddle, even behind Michy Friggin Batshuayi, for large periods of the season). Or you could argue that both Sarri and Lampard gave the correct instructions to get the most out of the offensive players they had at their disposal. It's one or the other, moving the goal posts just because one was a chain smoking tramp/failed banker/fackin' sarri (sorry) and one is a club legend isn't very nuanced or productive.

Sarri had his flaws, but he did a good job with us. He even coached Kepa, Azpi, Rudiger (who we are now willing to sell to Spurs), your best buddy Luiz and Alonso, with your other best mate Jorginho as the player screening said defenders, to the comfortably third best defense in the league. Did we play dross football at times? Absolutely, but maybe Sarri recognized that he had to keep the ball at pretty much all cost and give tactical instructions till it because tedious for the players unless he wanted to ship three goals each game?

Edited by opinionsarelike

1 hour ago, RMH said:

Thing is that Chelsea and Frank brought in this summer Anthony Barry from Wigan to be the defensive coach, so they are trying to correct the defensive problems we have. 

While i am happy they try to adress the problems idk if Barry is the right guy. 

He barely got any experience, he is 34 and his only other coaching spell was at Wigan who were great at defending? 

Frank should surround himself with some veterans. Frank Jody and Barry all are inexperienced and idk if that is a good mix. 

2 hours ago, RMH said:

Early signs are promising, apart from the goal at WBA I can't remember a set piece we came close to conceding from and that was with Kepa/Willy in goal.

No pre-season, barely any training days between matches and the majority of signings arrived injured or lacking match fitness.

Whoever the manager is would struggle to get things to gel quickly.

Reality check on expectations is needed. We've got SEVEN new signings, all of which are basically expected to be first choice more or less so you've got to bed all those players in without much time on the training field to do so, all the while trying to manage their fitness problems.

Chilwell arrived injured, Ziyech got injured before the season started, Silva arrived late lacking match fitness, Havertz arrived lacking match fitness, Mendy arrived late. Werner is the only one who arrived ready and raring to go and that's only because part of the transfer deal to bring him to the club included him not being allowed to play for Lipzig in the knockout stages of the Champions League so he's one of the few players to have had an extended rest period. 

Throw on top that our best attacking player Pulisic is injured and the club are trying to sort out the futures of players who are still training with the first team (Barkley, RLC, Rudiger, Emerson, Alonso etc. )

I know it's not been the best of starts to the season but honestly, what exactly were people expecting? Just a little bit of patience would be nice. 

2 hours ago, ForeverCarefree said:

No pre-season, barely any training days between matches and the majority of signings arrived injured or lacking match fitness.

Whoever the manager is would struggle to get things to gel quickly.

Reality check on expectations is needed. We've got SEVEN new signings, all of which are basically expected to be first choice more or less so you've got to bed all those players in without much time on the training field to do so, all the while trying to manage their fitness problems.

Chilwell arrived injured, Ziyech got injured before the season started, Silva arrived late lacking match fitness, Havertz arrived lacking match fitness, Mendy arrived late. Werner is the only one who arrived ready and raring to go and that's only because part of the transfer deal to bring him to the club included him not being allowed to play for Lipzig in the knockout stages of the Champions League so he's one of the few players to have had an extended rest period. 

Throw on top that our best attacking player Pulisic is injured and the club are trying to sort out the futures of players who are still training with the first team (Barkley, RLC, Rudiger, Emerson, Alonso etc. )

I know it's not been the best of starts to the season but honestly, what exactly were people expecting? Just a little bit of patience would be nice. 

Shame on you for using the r word and the p word! You know reality checks and patience have no place in a football supporter's life... It's either instant entertainment topped with silverware or the sack.

Patience, really, whatever next...

4 hours ago, opinionsarelike said:

Ah, the ghost of Sarri still haunts us to this day. Almost ruined us!

On a serious note, this is really unfair on Sarri. Hazard had his best statistical season for us under Sarri, mainly because he didn't have to play as a wide midfield player and therefore could receive the ball 15 meters further up the pitch. However, if you want to argue this point, then you would also have to argue that Lampard got bailed out last year by Pulisic (who Lampard didn't have all that much faith in early in the season) and Giroud (who played third fiddle, even behind Michy Friggin Batshuayi, for large periods of the season). Or you could argue that both Sarri and Lampard gave the correct instructions to get the most out of the offensive players they had at their disposal. It's one or the other, moving the goal posts just because one was a chain smoking tramp/failed banker/fackin' sarri (sorry) and one is a club legend isn't very nuanced or productive.

Sarri had his flaws, but he did a good job with us. He even coached Kepa, Azpi, Rudiger (who we are now willing to sell to Spurs), your best buddy Luiz and Alonso, with your other best mate Jorginho as the player screening said defenders, to the comfortably third best defense in the league. Did we play dross football at times? Absolutely, but maybe Sarri recognized that he had to keep the ball at pretty much all cost and give tactical instructions till it because tedious for the players unless he wanted to ship three goals each game?

I'm of the opinion that Frank was starting to run out of ideas and then Pulisic was fit and we cruised into fourth.

I'm not too concerned as Frank had a transfer ban and was trying to get the balance right with playing the youngsters.

This season the pressure will be on and not just from the normal media yet the Twitter crowd too. 😵

4 hours ago, Nevamind said:

While i am happy they try to adress the problems idk if Barry is the right guy. 

He barely got any experience, he is 34 and his only other coaching spell was at Wigan who were great at defending? 

Frank should surround himself with some veterans. Frank Jody and Barry all are inexperienced and idk if that is a good mix. 

4 hours ago, Argo said:

Early signs are promising, apart from the goal at WBA I can't remember a set piece we came close to conceding from and that was with Kepa/Willy in goal.

I had not heard of Barry before, and I don't watch Wigan, so I really don't know how good or bad he is defensively. But the reports say that he is very good setting up the team defensively and in set pieces, and as Argo says, we have improved so far in defending these. Time will tell, but I was replying to Droopy that mentioned that Frank should bring on other people to help in the coaching when we are already doing that. In any case, we'll see what happens once the team settles down, until then we need to keep calm and give Frank a break.