Billy Gilmour

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

1 hour ago, Brutos said:

People complained that Pulisic was too small and Pulisic is bigger than him, wonder why they complained about Pulisic emoji848.pngemoji848.png I think this kid needs to bulk up because as someone said above once they figure out his game if will become alot more difficult similar to when teams started man marking Jorginho....

I have never complained about Pulisic's size. Wingers tend to be the smallest players on the pitch anyway. Speed, agility, and technical ability are more important. And in CM we have players like Wise (and mroe recently Kante) who show that lack of size is no barrier as long as they have the right mentality.

I look at Barkley and I see a player with a lot of bulk, he clearly spends a lot of time in the gym, but I wonder if it's a hindrence to him sometimes. He has a lot of skill and technical ability but occasionally he can look a bit slow and clumsy, like a man in a Mech-suit he hasn't quite got the hang of yet.

12 minutes ago, bluedave said:

I have never complained about Pulisic's size. Wingers tend to be the smallest players on the pitch anyway. Speed, agility, and technical ability are more important. And in CM we have players like Wise (and mroe recently Kante) who show that lack of size is no barrier as long as they have the right mentality.

I look at Barkley and I see a player with a lot of bulk, he clearly spends a lot of time in the gym, but I wonder if it's a hindrence to him sometimes. He has a lot of skill and technical ability but occasionally he can look a bit slow and clumsy, like a man in a Mech-suit he hasn't quite got the hang of yet.

Yup. Wingers sometimes need strength because they are running and beating people. Hazard had strength which is what people pointed out with Pulisic. 

Size isn't a barrier to midfielder of you are good on the ball and have quick feet. A good midfielder doesn't need to be stronger than anyone else, just smarter. 

The most impressive thing about Billy last night was how he gained the trust of the players as the game wore on, for the first few minutes you could see the defense struggling to play out, panicking and losing the ball. Billy dropped in and helped in playing the ball out and you could see Zouma and Rudiger trusting him in challenging scenarios and the lad did not disappoint, initially I think they were hesitant in giving him the ball with Liverpool pressing high.

It's a bit obvious that Billy will be our best midfielder next season, the maturity level in his decision making is so on point. 

He's our version of Scholes in the making right now.

Yup. Wingers sometimes need strength because they are running and beating people. Hazard had strength which is what people pointed out with Pulisic. 
Size isn't a barrier to midfielder of you are good on the ball and have quick feet. A good midfielder doesn't need to be stronger than anyone else, just smarter. 
So are you saying the people who complained about Jorginho and Pulisic size are wrong?

13 minutes ago, Brutos said:
1 hour ago, bisright1 said:

So are you saying the people who complained about Jorginho and Pulisic size are wrong?

Yes. Although with Pulisic (and CHO), I do think he needs a bit of strength - like Hazard had. 

My personal problem with our team is that it is too short. Which means we can't defend set pieces like corners with any confidence. That's why Sarri played alonso so much last year over emerson, because he was tall. I don't care if an individual is short, but the general team needs to have 4 or 5 players of some height. 

Edited by bisright1

Yes. Although with Pulisic (and CHO), I do think he needs a bit of strength - like Hazard had. 
My personal problem with our team is that it is too short. Which means we can't defend set pieces like corners with any confidence. That's why Sarri played alonso so much last year over emerson, because he was tall. I don't care if an individual is short, but the general team needs to have 4 or 5 players of some height. 
I agree with you just making a point to people who complained about those two.

2 hours ago, Slojo said:

I hope you mean just the last game, otherwise, this is the type of hype we need to start avoiding, no need to put ridiculous expectations on an 18 year old. I remember when Jack Wilshere was having an amazing game against prime Barcelona at his age and look at him now. 

Well, quite. 

2 hours ago, Gol15 said:

It's a bit obvious that Billy will be our best midfielder next season, the maturity level in his decision making is so on point. 

He's our version of Scholes in the making right now.

It's one game, behave yourself with those ridiculous comparisons. 

Have we learned nothing from Josh McEachran and Kakuta? Jack Wilshere? There's no need to put such heavy expectations on an 18 year old after one game. It's these types of expectations that lead to fans calling youngsters flops and overrated as soon as they start underperforming, we saw it with CHO this season when he came back from his injury and wasn't hitting the ground running. 

Edited by Slojo

16 hours ago, Nibs said:

What a great MOTM performance. So composed and assured and hardly put a foot wrong.

Love his attitude and it's about time we had some Scottish grit in the team.

Reminds me a lot of one of our other youngsters at a similar age. I bet a certain Josh McEachran was watching that game tonight thinking what might have been. Gilmour looks to have a bit more about him and with Lamps & Jody to help him he looks destined to go all the way.

Bro', don't go an put the "jinx" on Billy. You bigged up Josh for months or was it years, but nobody else could see it. As they say he didn't train on!

Don't make the same mistake with Gilmour,  although a blind man could see he has real quality and a brilliant attitude. Yet another case of the UEFA ban doing us a massive favour. Would he have started a game against the Dippers under anyone else but Frank? not a chance !!

3 minutes ago, Slojo said:

Have we learned nothing from Josh McEachran and Kakuta? Jack Wilshere? There's no need to put such heavy expectations on an 18 year old after one game. It's these types of expectations that lead to fans to calling youngsters flops and overrated as soon as they start underperforming, we saw it with CHO this season when he came back from his injury and wasn't hitting the ground running. 

as much as it pains me to say it Jack doesnt deserve to be in that mini list, it was injuries that stopped him becoming one of the very best English players around. 

Just now, Bonzodog29 said:

as much as it pains me to say it Jack doesnt deserve to be in that mini list, it was injuries that stopped him becoming one of the very best English players around. 

No I agree, injuries were definitely a factor, but I also think the expectations were too much for him, he had plenty of time to recover and regain his form. Instead he was pissing about in night clubs to 4 am and being a tit. At 18 years old he was bossing the Barcelona midfield playing against Iniesta-Xavi-Busquets. He was out for a year with an injury, but when he came back he was still the same player and he was playing well, but he didn't develop into the player he was supposed to be and he had plenty of time to do that, he only had that injury when he was 19, plenty of time to discover your potential. 

But this is a common theme, Billy looks quality, but saying he's our version of Paul Scholes in the making after one bloody game is ridiculous I'm sorry. Josh McEachran at 17 was outstanding, he dominated at Marseille away at that age and had many impressive performances that season, now he's 26 and playing in the Championship, back then I also said Josh McEachran is capable of being one of the greatest English midfielders in the world. I learned a big lesson from that. 

2 hours ago, Slojo said:

Have we learned nothing from Josh McEachran and Kakuta? Jack Wilshere? There's no need to put such heavy expectations on an 18 year old after one game. It's these types of expectations that lead to fans calling youngsters flops and overrated as soon as they start underperforming, we saw it with CHO this season when he came back from his injury and wasn't hitting the ground running. 

He's already world class, best midfielder in the world. I rate him higher than prime Xavi and Iniesta, easily 😁 He's not a patch on Mikel though.

Someone esteemed once told me the way to mark out a great player is to see what there like when a ball is played into them anywhere, because of your touch and spatial awareness, its the thing that marks Messi out, he'll take a ball in any situation, which means players trust you not to lose it, when it is played into you any position Gilmour was like that from the get go.

Someone esteemed once told me the way to mark out a great player is to see what there like when a ball is played into them anywhere, because of your touch and spatial awareness, its the thing that marks Messi out, he'll take a ball in any situation, which means players trust you not to lose it, when it is played into you any position Gilmour was like that from the get go.

Are you comparing Gilmour to Messi? [emoji15]

2 hours ago, Slojo said:

No I agree, injuries were definitely a factor, but I also think the expectations were too much for him, he had plenty of time to recover and regain his form. Instead he was pissing about in night clubs to 4 am and being a tit. At 18 years old he was bossing the Barcelona midfield playing against Iniesta-Xavi-Busquets. He was out for a year with an injury, but when he came back he was still the same player and he was playing well, but he didn't develop into the player he was supposed to be and he had plenty of time to do that, he only had that injury when he was 19, plenty of time to discover your potential. 

But this is a common theme, Billy looks quality, but saying he's our version of Paul Scholes in the making after one bloody game is ridiculous I'm sorry. Josh McEachran at 17 was outstanding, he dominated at Marseille away at that age and had many impressive performances that season, now he's 26 and playing in the Championship, back then I also said Josh McEachran is capable of being one of the greatest English midfielders in the world. I learned a big lesson from that. 

Problem with Josh wasn't ability it was his attitude, as soon as he got the new contract and the Corrie misses his status got to his head. Also I think he became a lot more cautious after he made that near fatal mistake at Villa Park.

While I do agree comparisons with Scholes is far too premature early signs are Billy has the correct mentality and combine that with his talent that makes the chances of him making it here extremely high.

Edited by Argo

Not at all, but you tell me how many players are comfortable with the ball played into areas tightly marked, places team members won't play that unsafe pass, Cesc was brilliant at this, and Scholes, not many more, i can think of, there was a play last night, ner the edge of our box, a defender is playing the ball into him, and he is already looking behind him, to see who is ahead of him for the incoming pass, thats natural ability.

3 minutes ago, Ballack & Blu said:

Not at all, but you tell me how many players are comfortable with the ball played into areas tightly marked, places team members won't play that unsafe pass, Cesc was brilliant at this, and Scholes, not many more, i can think of, there was a play last night, ner the edge of our box, a defender is playing the ball into him, and he is already looking behind him, to see who is ahead of him for the incoming pass, thats natural ability.

I disagree re Cesc (certainly our version), he was very susceptible to pressing and his best work always came when people dropped off him.

Edited by Argo

52 minutes ago, The Rising Sun said:

This from Barney Ronay in the Guardian today.... "Billy Gilmour, 18 years old 5 foot 5 inches tall, glided about the pitch like some wonderfully gifted Yugoslavian playmaker of the late 1980s " ... What a compliment from a seasoned football writer !

I think Arsenal or Fulham had a player that matches that description though I don't remember his name.

5 minutes ago, Ballack & Blu said:

This is why Billy is the new Scholes. He showed he can play with the big boys and made Fabinho look silly, all of the Liverpool midfielders are older and taller and yet Billy could compete fairly and showed he's ready.

23 minutes ago, Brutos said:

Are you comparing Gilmour to Messi? emoji15.png

People just doing the same mistakes over and over again. Give them time. Especially with English players. 

You can see a lot of shockers here after one good game. 

But some even bigger shockers are coming when he's got couple of bad games and they start sh*tting on him. 

Edited by Droopy

@coco

See? That's what I meant in the Mount topic... Gilmour is the next world class player according to our fanbase. People comparing him to Mordic, Iniesta, Xavi, Scholes and Messi (did I forget anyone?).

After a single good performance. Same with RLC, Mount, Tammy, Reece James, CHO...

Edited by Vagabond
edit: It was the Kova thread, actually.