David Luiz back at Chelsea

pacquiao
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

1 hour ago, coco said:

Why all the Luiz hate ? triple European titles with the club, 32yo wants to play football, good on him, Frank did exactly the same thing when he went to city.

Frank left as his contract ran down, and also didnt shaft us when we had a transfer ban meaning we are left with a problem in his position.

Just now, dkw said:

Frank left as his contract ran down, and also didnt shaft us when we had a transfer ban meaning we are left with a problem in his position.

Still no need for some of the hatred aimed at him mate, never forget the night he was on his knees in the middle of Germany, King of the World.

1 hour ago, Crem said:

Same here.

A lot of accusations being made that , somehow, Luiz engineered this move. A far more likely scenario is Frank has told him first team opportunities will be limited this season and he could move on if he wanted to. Luiz, being a footballer who , well, likes playing football, saw his only chance was a move away. His family are settled in London so his choices were limited. Added to this, at the end of the day it is Marina who is selling him to a rival.

It’s odd how we expect footballers to be different than any other professions. If anyone here was told their chances of career progression in the company they work for were limited and they had ambition, they would move away and wouldn’t go a smaller company if one of the same size and stature offered them a job.

I wopuld be amazed if Frank is happy to lose a senior player from the squad with no chance of replacing him.

Just now, coco said:

Still no need for some of the hatred aimed at him mate, never forget the night he was on his knees in the middle of Germany, King of the World.

I agree some of the hatred is over the top, just dont think you can equate this to the way Lampard left really. 

Just now, dkw said:

I agree some of the hatred is over the top, just dont think you can equate this to the way Lampard left really. 

But Luiz signed a new deal and probably assumed that meant he was playing football, all round i think its best for everyone, time to move on.

I think the worst thing about this entire deal, is now we can’t loan out Tomori.  There’s a good chance that he rarely plays this season.  He needed the loan move to get regular game time, I’m worried his growth as a player will be stunted.

1 minute ago, mwblue10 said:

I think the worst thing about this entire deal, is now we can’t loan out Tomori.  There’s a good chance that he rarely plays this season.  He needed the loan move to get regular game time, I’m worried his growth as a player will be stunted.

He is going to be 3rd choice for the next month or so while Rudiger gets back to match fitness so I think he will play decent minutes.

2 minutes ago, coco said:

But Luiz signed a new deal and probably assumed that meant he was playing football, all round i think its best for everyone, time to move on.

I doubt we will ever find out the truth about this, but if he has reacted badly to being told he isnt first choice then engineered a move while we are in the situation we are then frankly, f**k him.

2 minutes ago, mwblue10 said:

Tomori will get plenty of time now, i dont think anymore time in the second tier would benefit him.

3 minutes ago, dkw said:

Lamps ended up at City via NYFC anyway, he didn't directly join them and who knows what the story is behind the scenes but I believe they did have some sort of power over him + the appeal of playing at top level again.

I really want to have another playing join the Chelsea book of legends, maybe we're expecting a bit much of Luiz? Cech and others stayed and fought for their places despite losing playing time.
The best case scenario is if Luiz joins Arse, he writes a heartfelt farewell message and promptly costs them in performance, then rejoins Chelsea after retiring as a coach or rep in some way.

No need to hate, I actually don't think this is a disaster. He can be fantastic on his day, but we all know the amount of errors he has in him. As he's also getting on a bit, I think this is perfectly fine and I'd rather we give the game time to Christensen/Zouma/Tomori - but of course we'll need them to rise to the challenge.

He's been fun to watch, I'll always love him for Munich but if he's unhappy about not being first choice, I think we're doing the right thing in letting him go.

Edited by AndyDowsleftflank

3 hours ago, Argo said:

Am i the only one that doesn't really get this "never sell to rival" mentality? I mean for the top/crucial player's and the young lads with potential to hit that level absolutely but anyone below is fair game under the right circumstances for me. People will say "United don't do us a favour back" okay then bid £40m for Smalling and see how long that statement stays true. I remember when the Baka/United rumour surfaced and someone gave me the "we shouldn't help out a rival argument" umm mate that wouldn't be helping them.

I was personally delighted that we got £40m for a heavily declined Matic and i spent a season hoping United were going to give us even more for Willian.

Personally, I thought it was me being an American. You see, all of our leagues are monopolies, so player transactions are always within the league. You're always playing against players you deal. I'm used to it. 

I'm more concerned with who we have and who we're getting. Matic needed upgrading. It wasn't a mistake that we sold Matic. The mistake was made in how we replaced him. 

The case here for me isn't that Luiz is going to Arsenal. The problem for me is that it's during a transfer ban and Rudiger still isn't fit.

But in a sense, think of if we just spent 40M on Zouma from Everton, would we be surprised to see Luiz leave? Zouma is replacing Luiz. 

Is that an upgrade? Time for Kurt to show us.

1 hour ago, sonic90 said:

Lamps ended up at City via NYFC anyway, he didn't directly join them and who knows what the story is behind the scenes but I believe they did have some sort of power over him + the appeal of playing at top level again.

I really want to have another playing join the Chelsea book of legends, maybe we're expecting a bit much of Luiz? Cech and others stayed and fought for their places despite losing playing time.
The best case scenario is if Luiz joins Arse, he writes a heartfelt farewell message and promptly costs them in performance, then rejoins Chelsea after retiring as a coach or rep in some way.

There's no way NYFC ship Lamps off to City 5 minutes after he walks through the door without him knowing about it in advance, it's no better than this.

24 minutes ago, Valerie said:

I just hope the moronic element of our supporters won't boo him when he plays against us.

Well if you leave under circumstances such as this, and join a London rival, that is the risk you take. 

I am not a fan of pantomime style booing in general, but should fans wish to make their feelings known I certainly wouldn't consider them "moronic" for doing so. 

2 minutes ago, mclovin83 said:

Well if you leave under circumstances such as this, and join a London rival, that is the risk you take. 

I am not a fan of pantomime style booing in general, but should fans wish to make their feelings known I certainly wouldn't consider them "moronic" for doing so. 

Circumstances such as what? There is only speculation. And booing a former player who has played a big part in our successes, that's just pathetic.

1 hour ago, coco said:

Tomori will get plenty of time now, i dont think anymore time in the second tier would benefit him.

Sounded like a loan to Everton was all but a done deal, and I think he would have played quite a lot there with them losing Zouma back to us.

1 hour ago, dkw said:

He is going to be 3rd choice for the next month or so while Rudiger gets back to match fitness so I think he will play decent minutes.

Looks like Rudiger's rehab is coming along quicker than expected though, so it might not even be a full month.  Even as 3rd choice, he will only play cup games, and I still could see Azpi slotting in at CB, even if he isn't especially suited to a back 4. 

Regardless, I hope you both are right and he gets game time.  The worst thing for a young promising player is to sit on the bench.

Just now, Valerie said:

Circumstances such as what? There is only speculation. And booing a former player who has played a big part in our successes, that's just pathetic.

Well, forcing a move through to a London rival the day before the transfer window closes, 4 days before our opening fixture, in a period where we are restricted with a transfer ban.

To add additional context, this is a player who the club recently bent their stern rules to accommodate, by rewarding him with a new 2 year contract just 3 months ago, despite him being 32. 

None of the above is speculation. 

The speculation would be him calling in 'sick' for training and having a row with Frank because he was told he would have to fight for his place like everyone else. We won't know the details, but it's pretty damn obvious that we as a club didn't plan for it to play out like this. Something happened. 

You may think booing ex players is pathetic. That's your opinion. Gallas played a big part in our success and was boo'd by 40 odd thousand in Stamford Bridge back in 2006. It happens. 

Ultimately, respect is a two way street, and it worth noting that players who have conducted themselves well, such as Lamps, Cech and Mata returned to a hero's welcome. 

Great news. Barring a very good season under Conte in the back 5 & a handful of good performances, he is a liability. An accident waiting to happen in every game.  

It maybe leaves us shorter in terms of experience, but Lampard knows what kind of character Luiz is, & is obviously prepared to let him go - that’s good enough for me. 

Let’s not forget, our remaining four CB’s are good players, & they’ll now have more time to learn & improve. 

Was hoping it's all bollocks and just an attempt to make arse waste time thinking their getting a cb then pull out last minute.. But it does seem he's thrown his toys out the pram because he won't be first choice. bit of a twat move leaving it so late, I'm not completely sold on Tomori it would have been better for him to see regular minutes on loan and we could definitely still do with some character and experience that Luiz has got.

Like Lamps has said though we don't want anyone here that isn't 100% committed so good riddance?

16 hours ago, GhostOfDembaBa said:

I'll come back to remind you of this comment and rub it in very deliberately when Zouma proves to be our best, most consistent centre half at the end of the season. ?

No you won't!