David Luiz back at Chelsea

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

3 hours ago, Valerie said:

You were quite adamant on a couple of occasions none of it was speculation, and objected to my remarking everyrhing was speculation. But hey, changing your opinion aka seeing sense is allowed, it's progress even  ?

None of what was speculation?  "It" ? That's pretty broad, you might want to quote what you are specifically rambling on about before you start patting yourself on the back about anyone changing their mind. 

If you try really hard I reckon you might be able to find a post of mine where I specially referred to some things being speculation, and some things not being speculation... imagine that?!

Best move of the summer.  Been saying this bloke has been a snake for at least a 18 months since he started undermining Conte. 

Now he think he'll undermine Frank because Frank won't but up with his bullsh*t defending and lack of concentration? Good riddance. Should have been done 12 months ago. I look forward to Rudiger returning to lead our defence in a few weeks. Also opens a slot to have a genuine left footed CB join to boost our stocks next summer.

Bit weird seeing Arsenal fans floating about signing a 32 year old David Luiz.

We had some fantastic moments from him as a player, mostly in cup competitions. 

I think he played his best football under Conte in the back three, which there’s a chance he’s going to be doing at Arsenal.

His best years are past him and we’re a club looking to the future, very rare we’re going to be fielding players over 30 this season.

There’s always been the question with Luiz about whether his positives outweigh his weaknesses and brain farts... guess we’re going with the more conservative approach of Christensen and Zouma and letting the holding midfield do the heavy lifting.

Still, one plus, we might get some better free-kicks this season! 

I'm okay with it. He had to go in all probability, for the sake of morale, in order for Frank to maintain authority. Luiz is very close to Willian and Kenedy so that's another one to keep an eye on. They both appear to be moody players, so if they're not playing, they'll be sharing stories with Luiz. Frank will have to be on his toes. He needs total commitment.

We've got two powerful rugged defenders in Zouma and Rudiger, and two more refined defenders in Christensen and Tomori, so my guess is that we'll have one of each as our CB pair, and we'll see a bit of rotation, particularly in the cup games. This is a very big chance for our young CBs to cement a spot. They'll be pleased to see the back of Luiz.

With Luiz there I always felt it would be hard for Frank to drop him as it would cause problems, and therefore it was hard to see how any of the younger defenders could cement that first team spot. I think this is a smart move by Frank.

Interestingly, we resisted selling Zouma to Everton, for big money, and we've also kept Tomori, so Frank may have had a hunch all along about Luiz. I'm very excited about this season, particularly with so many academy graduates. I don't hold out high hopes for silverware or a great PL campaign, but it's the start of a very exciting journey hopefully. So many youngsters in the squad who can build a bond with the club and the fans. Reece James, Tomori, Christensen, Mount, RLC, CHO and Abraham. That's 7 academy graduates who could all get significant game-time. It also sends a great message to our current academy crop, as they can finally see a pathway to the first team. I don't think there's any reason to be upset about this. Luiz was a character but he was high maintenance. I think it's the best thing we could have done.

Do I think less of Luiz? Yes I do. He could have stayed, he could have supported the manager, he could have tried to impress, he could have fought for his place, he could have mentored the younger players, he could have been a good example, but it was all about him. Going to one of our rivals in these circumstances tells us a lot. I liked Luiz, I thought the positives outweighed the negatives, he's a big personality he's talented and he's a winner. Furthermore, I'm unconvinced by Christensen and the jury is very much out on Zouma and Tomori, but we'll never know if they don't get games, and at least now they're going to play, and that has me very excited.

Frank will build a special atmosphere. With Luiz around that was impossible, so all in all this was the right decsion. He's well past his peak, he's never been a great defender and he's joining a group with a weaker mentality. We really needn't be too worried. It's not like we've sold them peak John Terry.

37 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Bit weird seeing Arsenal fans floating about signing a 32 year old David Luiz.

We had some fantastic moments from him as a player, mostly in cup competitions. 

I think he played his best football under Conte in the back three, which there’s a chance he’s going to be doing at Arsenal.

His best years are past him and we’re a club looking to the future, very rare we’re going to be fielding players over 30 this season.

There’s always been the question with Luiz about whether his positives outweigh his weaknesses and brain farts... guess we’re going with the more conservative approach of Christensen and Zouma and letting the holding midfield do the heavy lifting.

Still, one plus, we might get some better free-kicks this season! 

You forgot Willian signed a two year contract ?

8 hours ago, TheChelseaBlues said:

Looks awful in red. 

Christensen and Zouma may be doing backflips right now bc there is no longer a choice but to play them both.

If nothing else this sends a clear message to future malcontents.

This is the best part about the whole saga for me, it shows that the club will no longer bow to player power irrelevant of how much money you're on or how small the transfer fee we receive would be - you’ll be sold.

10 hours ago, sonic90 said:

Seen a lot of guesswork so far, I really don't want to dislike Luiz. I await Lamps press conference and Luiz's interview about the transfer.

Not sure what you’ll be expecting to be revealed but it won’t be the nitty gritty, expect some diplomatic PC explanation, especially from Frank.

3 minutes ago, Soulo said:

I think the biggest loser with this transfer is @mclovin83 and his posts over these few days.

Imagine being so sore about a debate on a public forum, that you wake up the next day and the first thing you do is log on and post this....

I'm so glad i'm not 'that guy'.....

21 hours ago, Crem said:

Same here.

A lot of accusations being made that , somehow, Luiz engineered this move. A far more likely scenario is Frank has told him first team opportunities will be limited this season and he could move on if he wanted to. Luiz, being a footballer who , well, likes playing football, saw his only chance was a move away. His family are settled in London so his choices were limited. Added to this, at the end of the day it is Marina who is selling him to a rival.

It’s odd how we expect footballers to be different than any other professions. If anyone here was told their chances of career progression in the company they work for were limited and they had ambition, they would move away and wouldn’t go a smaller company if one of the same size and stature offered them a job.

Good points.