enigma

Callum Hudson-Odoi

13 hours ago, Dixons said:

So far in his career, he's been OK in Cup games against low/moderate level teams, but his level of performances against half decent Premiership teams haven't been very encouraging.

Let's talk about his career so far.

Played a total of 1755 minutes in all comps, that's 19.5 games worth of football.

In that time he's scored 6 and assisted 9 goals, so he's been directly involved in 15 goals.

Show me an 18yo with similar amounts.

Then figure in he was injured for 5 months in the middle of that run of games, and all before his 19th birthday.

15 hours ago, Sindre said:

Said it a couple of times in the match-thread, he's actually far slower then he used to be.

Didn't want to admit it before tonight but he's definitly lost a step or two. And that's a massive shame as his pace was one of his most dangerous weapons.

His second goal for England u21 he outran the Austrian u21 team from deep inside his own half to score a goal. 

I'm not really worried about CHO and Pulisic performance in this game. I'm more worried about Batshuayi & Giroud as our backup strikers.

I don't understand why so many posters are so eager to write off Callum. He has one bad game and that's it, he has no future here, he's not the same since his injury, he'll never be good enough. 

Why is he getting it at like this? He's our youngest player and he looks like one of the most talented. He's going to have poor games, I actually thought he did much better in the 2nd half, his finishing needs to improve, he misses far too many sitters I think but other than that I like what I see, he has so much potential. 

His injury is bound to affect his mentality and confidence for a little while. Nobody comes back from an ACL hitting the ground running.

1 hour ago, Slojo said:

I don't understand why so many posters are so eager to write off Callum. He has one bad game and that's it, he has no future here, he's not the same since his injury, he'll never be good enough. 

Why is he getting it at like this? He's our youngest player and he looks like one of the most talented. He's going to have poor games, I actually thought he did much better in the 2nd half, his finishing needs to improve, he misses far too many sitters I think but other than that I like what I see, he has so much potential. 

There does seem to be less patience when it comes to Hudson-Odoi compared to our other young players for some reason. I'm expecting Hudson-Odoi to have an up and down season. He will likely score, assist and play well in patches. It's unrealistic to expect such an inexperienced player to become consistently good so quickly.

Mount, Abraham and Tomori already have much more experience than Hudson-Odoi, they have all played over 100 club games in their career so far. Mount and Tomori are in their 3rd season of experiencing regular football, Abraham is in his 4th season. For Hudson-Odoi, this will be his 1st season where he experiences regular football, he isn't going to be performing as well as often as the other two until he gets used to it.

1 minute ago, Scott Harris said:

There does seem to be less patience when it comes to Hudson-Odoi compared to our other young players for some reason. I'm expecting Hudson-Odoi to have an up and down season. He will likely score, assist and play well in patches. It's unrealistic to expect such an inexperienced player to become consistently good so quickly.

Mount, Abraham and Tomori already have much more experience than Hudson-Odoi, they have all played over 100 club games in their career so far. Mount and Tomori are in their 3rd season of experiencing regular football, Abraham is in his 4th season. For Hudson-Odoi, this will be his 1st season where he experiences regular football, he isn't going to be performing as well as often as the other two until he gets used to it.

I would hazard a guess that is due to how the whole contract renewal process was perceived.

30 minutes ago, Crem said:

His injury is bound to affect his mentality and confidence for a little while. Nobody comes back from an ACL hitting the ground running.

It was an Achilles, not an ACL, wasn't it?

42 minutes ago, yorkleyblue said:

It was an Achilles, not an ACL, wasn't it?

Doh! You are correct of course. Still - serious injury and going to affect him for a while to come I am sure.

1 hour ago, axman2526 said:

I would hazard a guess that is due to how the whole contract renewal process was perceived.

That's absolutely stupid and if that's the reason why you dislike him or want to write him off you're not a rational person. 

I've had my suspicions but I think that's the reason, a few posters keep bringing up the contract situation. 

1 hour ago, Scott Harris said:

Thank you! 

He's our youngest out of the bunch and he's had less experience overall. The rest have had more England Caps and games out on loan, Callum hasn't. 

If he doesn't give a 10/10 performance that's it, he's overrated. Mount has had a few quiet games and nobody is on his back, because people know he's only young and overall he's a superb player with a lot of talent. Same with Tammy actually, but CHO seems to get it the worst if he doesn't perform. 

I think there’s just a higher expectation around CHO, many people see him as a nailed on starter not a youngster. Having a good start to his senior career only fuelled the expectation. 

Even Pulisic who’s older, has a £60mil tag on his head and has more experience at a senior level gets it easier. 

3 hours ago, Slojo said:

Nobody here is writing him off. No one says CHO should be sold or that he has no future at the club just because he's been struggling a bit lately. People just voice their concerns because his recent form has been poor. What are we supposed to do, close our eyes and pretend it's not true? We don't know whether it's down to lack of experience, consequences of his recent injury or something else altogether, but there's no question he's having some issues.

Hopefully with more playing time he'll get his confidence and sharpness back because the club clearly expects a lot from him. But neither him nor any other player should be immune to criticism when it's warranted.

2 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

I just posted this in another thread but it belongs here really.

I think what goes against CHO is his demeanor. What I mean is, he always looks like he's not that bothered and has the hump. I know he can't help the way he is or how he comes across, but with Tammy for example, he's always very demonstrative if he doesn't score when he thinks he should have or if something doesn't go as planned. The times last night the camera went on CHO and he always had that same blank expression as though he wasn't enjoying being out there. I'd just like to see him ENJOY his football or at least show a little emotion, otherwise I fear supporters could get on his back which would be harsh for an 18 year old.

1 hour ago, Nibs said:

otherwise I fear supporters could get on his back which would be harsh for an 18 year old.

The one thing that would drive me away from this club and football all together would be if our own fans started booing or jeering any of these youngsters from our academy. I'd just have to call it a day as it would be the end for me.

23 minutes ago, coco said:

The one thing that would drive me away from this club and football all together would be if our own fans started booing or jeering any of these youngsters from our academy. I'd just have to call it a day as it would be the end for me.

I totally concur Coco.

In recent years, I have felt more and more distant from the club I have loved and supported for so many years. But this season with Lamps and Jody and so many of the academy players involved, it really has given many of us that feel-good factor and almost "turned back the clock" a bit. So it would be shameful if any of the youngsters became the target of the boo-boys. 

Let's hope it doesn't happen and I do think all true supporters are desperate to see all the academy boys prosper - for me it's what football is all about and would mean so much more than getting success with a side full of galacticos.

6 hours ago, coco said:

Let's talk about his career so far.

Played a total of 1755 minutes in all comps, that's 19.5 games worth of football.

In that time he's scored 6 and assisted 9 goals, so he's been directly involved in 15 goals.

Show me an 18yo with similar amounts.

Then figure in he was injured for 5 months in the middle of that run of games, and all before his 19th birthday.

But there's a marked difference in his performances when he's faced decent Premiership teams. I genuinely hope he goes on to prove me very wrong, but at this moment in time i'm not that hopeful he'll go on to be the big star that others think he will be.

58 minutes ago, coco said:

Well, if they single any of them out the way they did with Joginho, then that would be totally out of order! Weren't there some boos for the team earlier in the season against Leicester or Sheff Utd.

8 hours ago, Nibs said:

I think what goes against CHO is his demeanor. What I mean is, he always looks like he's not that bothered and has the hump. I know he can't help the way he is or how he comes across, but with Tammy for example, he's always very demonstrative if he doesn't score when he thinks he should have or if something doesn't go as planned. The times last night the camera went on CHO and he always had that same blank expression as though he wasn't enjoying being out there. I'd just like to see him ENJOY his football or at least show a little emotion, otherwise I fear supporters could get on his back which would be harsh for an 18 year old.

If people are judging him that way then I feel like that is an unfair way for people to judge him and those fans need to be called out on it if it ever comes to that. Everyone was raised differently and expresses emotions differently. I can relate to CHO since I don't express emotions that much but that doesn't mean I'm unbothered about everything in life. 

12 hours ago, Nibs said:

Totally agree, less patience with CHO is due to the contract saga, asking to leave last season and his demeanour on the pitch at times, loads of talent but at present seems to be overatted, in my opinion Mount and Timoryi are more important to side at present. But is only 18 so must be given time

All football players are open to criticism and CHO should not be exempt. I have criticised him in the recent past but it was for the protracted contract negotiations. They did go on too long and it has made him look like he thinks he is something special. Or more special. The whole saga went on for much too long and it has raised expectations.

I've tried to take a fresh look at Callums skill set and where he fits into the team and asked myself if he can be compared to another quality player with a successful  career. Its a tough comparison I know but if you look at Ryan Giggs' early career he really didn't start making an impact until he was 20 years old. Callum deserves a bit more time before we start to seriously judge his contribution and if he gets near to having a career as good as Giggs he will be great player for Chelsea. He is 19 years old next Thursday and has plenty of time to make his impact. Lets not deflate the guy before he gets up a head of steam.

5 hours ago, Frankie8Lampard said:

If people are judging him that way then I feel like that is an unfair way for people to judge him and those fans need to be called out on it if it ever comes to that. Everyone was raised differently and expresses emotions differently. I can relate to CHO since I don't express emotions that much but that doesn't mean I'm unbothered about everything in life. 

When he's not plsying well fans have a go at Willian for his demeanor, so they're not singling out CHO on this.

19 hours ago, Slojo said:

Tin pot fans are pissed off because Callum didn't renew his contract as soon as possible for £20k a week and instead held off to get a better deal for himself. Like anyone wouldn't do the same to try and get more money.

1 hour ago, Andy North said:

I have criticised him in the recent past but it was for the protracted contract negotiations. They did go on too long and it has made him look like he thinks he is something special. Or more special.

The contract negotiations went on for so long because he is something special, as proven by the huge multiple offers from Bayern Munich and the huge contract offer Chelsea had to offer him to keep him. That's two of the biggest clubs on the planet fighting for an 18yos signature.

Its a really tricky one as I can see both sides of the argument, on the one hand he is a young player still trying to establish himself in the team after an incredibly serious injury and on the other hand he has held out for a lucrative contract making him one of the highest earning teenagers in the world & if an employer is paying you higher than market value than its fair if they expect above average performances.

As fans yes we should be judging CHO against all the other starters in the squad such as Pulisic and Willian however this should not be done on a game by game basis, we need to wait until the season is over to make those judgement's. Consistency is something that will come with experience and we are likely to see the odd 3/10 performance from him and we shouldnt be criticizing the guy heavily if that does happen because we are akin to those performances from the likes of Willian, Alonso & Pedro over the last few seasons and these guys are seasoned pros.

I am sure the Management team has set a target for him such as 5 goals & 10 Assists and I am sure Lampard will be keeping those numbers in mind come the end of the season and review his performance, for the time being I am more than happy with his performances thus far.  

18 hours ago, Nibs said:

I think the average fan in England is still stuck in the dark ages a bit with the "show your heart and passion", thing.

You can show passion and will to win without grinning like a Cheshire cat or running/jumping around like a lunatic.