enigma

Callum Hudson-Odoi

2 hours ago, Argo said:

I think the average fan in England is still stuck in the dark ages a bit with the "show your heart and passion", thing.

You can show passion and will to win without grinning like a Cheshire cat or running/jumping around like a lunatic.

True, but then I think supporters will always prefer "characters" and players / coaches who show a bit of emotion, passion and joy.

Reason why many of us love Lamps and will remember Conte more fondly than Sarri and ditto the big characters we have had like JT, Drogba Joey Cole, Hazard etc.

He's obviously going to be judged more because he handed in a transfer request and tried to force his way out, then took forever to sign a new deal, which is massively overpaying him, considering his experience.

You can't do all that then expect not to be judged more than someone who has quietly got their head down and worked for their place.

I would hope that no one would boo any player let alone a young player. I do think he needs to be more positive with the ball. There are lots of people that don’t like Willian but he goes at people takes them on and is quick when doing this. Watch the next few games to see if this improves

53 minutes ago, Richard P said:

I would hope that no one would boo any player let alone a young player. I do think he needs to be more positive with the ball. There are lots of people that don’t like Willian but he goes at people takes them on and is quick when doing this. Watch the next few games to see if this improves

Willian wouldn't be my choice as an example of beeing positive with the ball. He is more likely to dribble backwards and play a backpass, then going direct and really take defenders on.

1 hour ago, comtrend said:

Willian wouldn't be my choice as an example of beeing positive with the ball. He is more likely to dribble backwards and play a backpass, then going direct and really take defenders on.

Running down the line and crossing isn’t the only positive thing needed. Watch Willian with diagonal or sideways runs using others for wall passes or spreading play to the other side of the pitch. Also look at his position when we are out of possession. 

9 minutes ago, charierre said:

Another disappointing display from CHO, far too casual in  good possession and never appears to be giving 100%. He has to learn to take his chances of he wants to be a regular starter. 

I know exactly what you mean.

I was watching him off the ball and there was times he was walking around the pitch.

He’ll have to put up a fight if he wants to be a regular for club or country.

Quite worried about the kid. Don't know what an injury like that will do to your body when you come back, but he looks like a different player. He does remind me a bit like Salah with his period for us. Looked very shy on the ball and wouldn't often run at defenders, but rather around them or play the ball back/sideways. This was Calums biggest treat last year. Also his technique seems to let him down more often than not. We should give him time indeed, but I truly hope this injury didn't waste a phenomenal player..

I do wonder if he is mentally prepared for international football. The expectations at the top level are great. At 18 he is still very much learning the game as his performances for us has shown so far this season. Perhaps if he actually looked like he was enjoying playing, improved his body language I may form a more positive view. The learning curve is vast from youth team to the highest level. Many young players appear to have it all only to fail a few years into their career. Only the ones prepared to work exceptionally hard train on to being top players. 

Didn't see the game this evening but doesn't sound like he had a good one.

He has so much potential.

Time will tell if he can fulfil it. Fingers crossed. 

He needs to work a little harder off the ball, a bit more like Mason Mount does.

I think there’s a mixture of getting back to a decent level after a bad injury and building his confidence back up.

It’ll take time but in Chelsea & England he’s up against some pretty tough contenders for places.

He can do it, he’s just got to get his head down and work hard.

2 hours ago, charierre said:

Another disappointing display from CHO, far too casual in  good possession and never appears to be giving 100%. He has to learn to take his chances of he wants to be a regular starter. 

If you go back over the RLC thread, you'll see a million (yes I've counted them) posts all saying the same thing. Too casual, poor workrate, can't impose himself etc etc. People forget how young this boy is. He turned 19 last week. He's playing for Chelsea and for England, with sky high expectations and enormous hype around him. He's playing against big strong men in their prime. It's hard. Stamina will be an issue, loads of things will be an issue. Remember, he hasn't had a loan spell like the others, just as RLC hadn't had a loan spell when he was getting all the criticism. Age and a lack of first team football are a massive factor, considering he's competing at such a high level.

Hope to see him get more gametime at home to West Ham, Villa, and maybe Lille if we win against Valencia. Maybe we'll have a better idea of where he is in a few weeks. Premier League is different gravy to the Bundesliga that's all I'll say.

Edited by the special one

32 minutes ago, Davey Baby said:

If you go back over the RLC thread, you'll see a million (yes I've counted them) posts all saying the same thing. Too casual, poor workrate, can't impose himself etc etc. People forget how young this boy is. He turned 19 last week. He's playing for Chelsea and for England, with sky high expectations and enormous hype around him. He's playing against big strong men in their prime. It's hard. Stamina will be an issue, loads of things will be an issue. Remember, he hasn't had a loan spell like the others, just as RLC hadn't had a loan spell when he was getting all the criticism. Age and a lack of first team football are a massive factor, considering he's competing at such a high level.

Therefore its too early for him at present to be playing for England. I do think a loan spell maybe to the Championship for a few months could aid his development greatly.

It's far too early to judge. The one thing that worries me though, is that he no longer has that burst of pace he showcased pre-injury. Remember how quick he was against Arsenal during pre-season last year?

I have no idea if it's something he has lost for good, taking the nature of his injury into account. Hopefully not.

53 minutes ago, Amputechture said:

It's far too early to judge. The one thing that worries me though, is that he no longer has that burst of pace he showcased pre-injury. Remember how quick he was against Arsenal during pre-season last year?

I have no idea if it's something he has lost for good, taking the nature of his injury into account. Hopefully not.

Yes. I notice this too. He had this spring in his step, that explosiveness which combined with his directness made defenders very uncomfortable. 

Yeah, he can’t seem to outrun a man anymore. But it is still early days, maybe he hasn’t fully recovered from his injury yet - He may be nervous about sprinting, in case of aggravating an injury. Hopefully it’s only a mental thing.

We’ll see.

I think it’s too early to say if his decline is physical or mental (or both).

He doesn’t seem to have the same level of confidence in his game and definitely does not run at defenders as much. I hope, because of his age’ he’ll improve in time. I’ve looked up some players who had the same injury (e.g. Beckham, Barnes etc) and none of them were the same players they used to be after their injuries, although they were much older than Callum when they had their injuries.

I’m sure Lamps and his team will be keeping a close eye on him and how best to support him! I’m actually more worried about RLC!

Zouma had a worse injury and it's taken years of hard work and determination for him to get back to a level where it's no longer a problem for him. So, we could be looking at a few years rather than months before CHO is really fit and good enough for a regular starting place in the team.  A lot of hard work ahead for him to make it at Chelsea.

Are we still impressed by this lad?  I get it, injury and all, but Mount and Pulisic both look worlds ahead of him.  

Would a loan deal to a top Bundesliga / Serie A team be too unrealistic?  Because right now I'd swap him for Sancho in a heartbeat!

Edited by TrueBlueSeaFC87

3 hours ago, TrueBlueSeaFC87 said:

Are we still impressed by this lad?  I get it, injury and all, but Mount and Pulisic both look worlds ahead of him.  

Would a loan deal to a top Bundesliga / Serie A team be too unrealistic?  Because right now I'd swap him for Sancho in a heartbeat!

Right now being the key word.

About a month ago he was on a goal contribution per game while Pulisic looked all at sea. Now Pulisic is the one looking great while Callum is struggling, at some point that will reverse itself again, then back again.

At the age they're at its inevitable.

People are so eager to write players off, I remember about 5 weeks ago when people thought Pulisic was a bum and CHO was much better, how fickle. 

I think the criticism has been way overboard, there's nothing to be worried about, he has all the time on his side. 

People need to calm down talent and pace doesnt disappear overnight.. the more games CHO plays the more confidence he will get in his game and achilies.. I think he will be fine.. as a 19 year old he will always have periods like this.. maybe its good for him in a way that now some expectations of him will be lowered..