Callum Hudson-Odoi

enigma
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

There was one situation where Batshuayi received a through ball over the top of the defence. At the time the pass was played CHO was the furthest player forward but he made no effort to stay in front of the defender to give Bats the opportunity to square the ball to him and get himself a tap in. I found that really poor from him. No desire to score.

20 hours ago, WhiteWall said:

Why, No other player gets  given the amount of time this kid has had. As a youth he was prolific simply because he was lightning fast. He then got the injury, has never had the same pace since, and has now shown that pace was all he had. I bet the Bayern forum is full of comments of Bullet dodged.

I think many fans underestimate the fact that CHO has been only 20-21 years old, Mount at 21 got so much trust and minutes, for a profile like CHO you have to just deal with the fact that he's going to make sometimes bad decisions and sometimes he's going to waste attacks but if we were fine when Mount was doing that then CHO should also be given some levels of trust, obviously not 100% of the same trust as Mount had but even 50% would be good for him and honestly he didn't get that luxury yet.

The club gave him the bigger contract because of our own history of not being patient enough with other players that at some point simply needed the development games where they would waste time and waste attacks... Not to mention that Tuchel at some point tried to make him a full-back which was pretty bad, either you go all in with him being in the last line of attack or you sell him, there is no middle ground there and it's the fault of the club too that his development has taken a halt even if we're not prepared to admit it yet.

1 hour ago, Gol15 said:

I think many fans underestimate the fact that CHO has been only 20-21 years old, Mount at 21 got so much trust and minutes, for a profile like CHO you have to just deal with the fact that he's going to make sometimes bad decisions and sometimes he's going to waste attacks but if we were fine when Mount was doing that then CHO should also be given some levels of trust, obviously not 100% of the same trust as Mount had but even 50% would be good for him and honestly he didn't get that luxury yet.

The club gave him the bigger contract because of our own history of not being patient enough with other players that at some point simply needed the development games where they would waste time and waste attacks... Not to mention that Tuchel at some point tried to make him a full-back which was pretty bad, either you go all in with him being in the last line of attack or you sell him, there is no middle ground there and it's the fault of the club too that his development has taken a halt even if we're not prepared to admit it yet.

100%, the way Mount and CHO get treated by our fans is completely different, same with Tomori as well

2 minutes ago, Sconnie Blue said:

The CHO hate I understand, the Mount one is baffling. 

If Mount is injured for the season we aren't finishing top 4 with this current team. 

Sure we would, we have super Thomas Tuchel, and he knows what to do.

1 hour ago, Gol15 said:

Sorry, I do like your posts but I must disagree with part of this one.

First of all, what do we really know goes on at the club? But, from what I read and what I saw, we were backed into a corner. The boy had great potential due to his blistering pace and his record at youth level. Bayern were then making overtures and these were being cultivated by his agent, who I think is his brother. Rather than lose him to Germany similar to the Sancho move, the club turned down the major offer and gave him a stonking contract compared to others his age and position. 

When that happens your status is elevated. You need to demonstrate your worth week in week out.

For me he has failed to do that mainly because since his injury he seems to have lost his pace and can rarely get past players. This has then highlighted his limitations in a number of other areas of his game.

4 minutes ago, WhiteWall said:

Sorry, I do like your posts but I must disagree with part of this one.

First of all, what do we really know goes on at the club? But, from what I read and what I saw, we were backed into a corner. The boy had great potential due to his blistering pace and his record at youth level. Bayern were then making overtures and these were being cultivated by his agent, who I think is his brother. Rather than lose him to Germany similar to the Sancho move, the club turned down the major offer and gave him a stonking contract compared to others his age and position. 

When that happens your status is elevated. You need to demonstrate your worth week in week out.

For me he has failed to do that mainly because since his injury he seems to have lost his pace and can rarely get past players. This has then highlighted his limitations in a number of other areas of his game.

Thanks. I do agree that he should show his worth, specially after he signed that contract extension. But despite that, I didn't see him growing in the squad, his status didn't really change after Bayern showed that interest. You're right, I mean I don't know how the people at the club evaluate all possible factors but somehow Bayern saw something there and maybe our own coaches didn't which could have put a lot of question marks and we ended up in this situation.

I guess that this is going to be his make or break season, if he doesn't have a breakthrough year then he's clearly not as good. I have heard about his injury in the now pretty distant past too, how he used to easily outrun players but after the injury how he doesn't even dare to try it anymore, like it's night and day and if that's all there is to it and he doesn't change... The sad reality will be that old "what could have been if he just didn't get injured".

4 hours ago, Sconnie Blue said:

If Mount is injured for the season we aren't finishing top 4 with this current team. 

Mount has been healthy and has been afforded the opportunity to get huge minutes whether on loan or back at Chelsea.  We can't say the same for CHO but we wonder why he hasn't developed (and he's still 2 years younger than Mount).

4 hours ago, Sconnie Blue said:

I've been one of CHO's critics for a long time but I certainly don't 'hate' him, that's a powerful word.  Not his fault that he has been overly protected by the club and the hierarchy since his Academy days, and his subsequent years having been elevated to the first team squad at a young age, knowing that he was never going to be playing on  regular basis over highly paid experienced internationals.  To me that was one of big mistakes the Academy made; he should have gone out on loan instead of being sent to the first team to gain some 'work experience'; whether home or abroad he should have been sent away for a season or two to hone his skills and learn his trade, then come back to refine his skills and fight for a place in the first team.  Instead, because allegedly Bayern identified him as a young prospect and supposedly offered a princely sum, our club stupidly threw a bucket load of money at him and convinced him to stay.  

I think we all agree that the injury did not help his development but that was some time ago. He has had more chances than any Academy player to demonstrate why he should been the starting 11, yet on each occasion he has failed to deliver including the two pre-season games where you would think, against lower opposition, he would be taking on defenders for practice and for fun, but sadly instead all I saw was more of the same.  He gets faced up by a defender and choses the easy option of passing backwards or sideways; and even when on the rare occasion he took someone on he couldn't get passed them, either through lack of confidence or lack of pace, only he knows.  But what he should know is that he is not impressing anyone and hasn't done so for some time.  He's still young enough to be sent on loan and certainly as an above average player can be sold at a decent price...which would be my preferred option, because I think what he may have had in the past he hasn't got now and I don't think he'll have in the future.  

As for Mount, while many believe him to be a managers favourite why wouldn't he be.  Through hard graft, going away on loan learning from seasoned professionals he's constantly learning his trade; he's also established himself as a regular in the England squad because like all the managers he's been under he has shown that he is willing to graft, work hard, keep his head down, listen and take instructions.  Yes, he is still going to fall flat every now and then but he's learning all the time and the next opportunity he'll try harder, whereas CHO sadly just doesn't IMO.

10 hours ago, Greys33 said:

Mount has been healthy and has been afforded the opportunity to get huge minutes whether on loan or back at Chelsea.  We can't say the same for CHO but we wonder why he hasn't developed (and he's still 2 years younger than Mount).

Mount delivered though - not only with tons of scorers but being quite often challenging for MOTM even against the very best opposition. He's also extremely reliable and can help the team even if he's not in his best form (like at start of last season). 

Again, Mount first delivered on loan at a lower level then was given an opportunity with Chelsea. CHO should have been sent out on loan in my opinion. He’s also had two Achilles injuries. I see all of this Mount is a hard worker and such (which I believe to be true) but what’s to say CHO doesn’t work just as hard?  It’s just funny how one gets a pass at times and the other doesn’t even given the circumstances. Mount doesn’t play well, he’s still in the team. CHO has a bad game and it’s back to the bench and that’s always been the case. 

Anyway, I hope that they’re both huge successes for the club. They deserve better from us. 

56 minutes ago, Greys33 said:

Again, Mount first delivered on loan at a lower level then was given an opportunity with Chelsea. CHO should have been sent out on loan in my opinion. He’s also had two Achilles injuries. I see all of this Mount is a hard worker and such (which I believe to be true) but what’s to say CHO doesn’t work just as hard?  It’s just funny how one gets a pass at times and the other doesn’t even given the circumstances. Mount doesn’t play well, he’s still in the team. CHO has a bad game and it’s back to the bench and that’s always been the case. 

Anyway, I hope that they’re both huge successes for the club. They deserve better from us. 

But I think he was angling for the move to Germany so we out him on a hundred grand a week. You're not getting a top championship side taking him on loan and picking up that rabbit. Not half of it. What do we think Derby were paying for Mount and Tomori

So was that his mistake or our mistake?  If your employer offered you better terms to stay, you’d more than likely accept. But his development is being shorted by Ziyech, Pulisic and Werner who have all been given more opportunities for runs in the team..without consistent success. 

1 hour ago, Bob stark said:

I am very concerned with cal. He came  back early for pre seasons so I expect him to be killing it in friendly but so far he has been poor

First games coming off a long long layoff, it will probably take 2-3 months for him to get up to full speed. Right now he's okay enough cover at RWB and we can play him in the cup games until he's fully fit

On 24/07/2022 at 16:26, Dubair said:

Haven’t seen him in this pre season but I’d be happy enough with him as wing back cover on either side. His days as a winger at this level are done though imo. 

He's 21 and you already know that?  Ridiculous statement IMO.

1 hour ago, CFCCAN said:

Did I read on Twitter that he wasn't given a squad number?  Apparently neither has Ampadu and Kenedy..but Bats has

Probably bs since CHO is in the squad to face Udinese and Bats isn't, according to the official site. 

It would take a major breakdown with TT to see him not getting a squad number and as far as I know there isn't any team looking to buy him at the moment. 

8 hours ago, CFCCAN said:

Did I read on Twitter that he wasn't given a squad number?  Apparently neither has Ampadu and Kenedy..but Bats has

CHO had his usual #20 on tonight. Ampadu has been playing in #44 in the States, which is what he's always worn at Chelsea, and Kenedy the #23, as per last season. 

Most people would be much better off in all sorts of ways if they simply deleted the Twitter app from their phone 🙂