Callum Hudson-Odoi

enigma
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

4 hours ago, Bob stark said:

Cho is still young and imo has ridiculous potential but if we want to build the team around kai n Mount and stick to 343, then cho is not a natural fit with those two, Puli or Werner make more sense. 

If we used our wingbacks in a more traditional way you'd probably be right but given we want them to play more inverted almost as number 10s in the attacking phase Callum being a more traditional winger is actually a good compliment to that.

1 hour ago, Argo said:

If we used our wingbacks in a more traditional way you'd probably be right but given we want them to play more inverted almost as number 10s in the attacking phase Callum being a more traditional winger is actually a good compliment to that.

It has nothing to do with cho being a winger, it is about all of them preferring to come towards the ball. You want a werner/puli who prefer to run behind to complement Mount n kai. 

On 14/06/2022 at 06:44, STATS said:

Yep, and that is why he will want to get natural players in that position. Same way he got Grealish when he did not really need him. He will want two quality players in both position. Ake is not someone you will want as LB for a top team. If Cancelo was to get an injury, Pep would be cursing not buying another LB. Also with all the comps they are in, I see it as a position he defo would want to strengthen. Walker is getting on also and like I say, will be rotated often so Cancelo will play RB a lot. Cucurella is young and only getting better.

On 13/06/2022 at 07:33, Bob stark said:

For a couple years now pep has asked one of his fb to sit more either as midfielder (Zinchenko, delph) or as third cb (walker).

When you move cancelo as rb, you probably don't want him as rcb so you will ask your lb to play as such hence Ake n Zinchenko are more than capable backup

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/jun/16/manchester-city-bid-brighton-left-back-marc-cucurella-yves-bissouma-tottenham

See @Bob stark Fabrizio Romano reporting it too 😞

Cho is better than many give him credit for,at least in my view,  my worry is his injury record is terrible and for that reason doubt  if we can count on him. 

as for Broja I watched him a few times. He is not there yet, doesn’t always have the cool head required when finishing unlike Gallagher who does have that unteachable skill and Broja’s touch is still a bit rough. 

Edited by ozboy

On 12/06/2022 at 21:55, Argo said:

No he wasn't, he played the final due to injury and true to form the goal game from his side. He was also caught wildly out of position late on when Chilleni had to cover his backside and save a likely goalscoring opportunity by bringing Saka down.

It's mindblowing that there's still debate around this guy, he's a depressingly ordinary player who shouldn't be anywhere near the set up next season in any capacity.

That's the trouble when you are back from a holiday and dip into threads for first time in ages and just scan a few posts without fully reading them and come across this from @Argo in a CHO topic and think - WTF - that's a bit of an about turn!

Turns out he was talking about Emerson (yet would have been equally accurate had it been about CHO :smile:

• 3 weeks later...

https://theathletic.com/news/callum-hudson-odoi-chelsea-injury/EX96wVyWs5cW/

Callum Hudson-Odoi has revealed he missed the last two months of last season because of a "weird" injury that left him unable to pass the ball 10 yards.

Hudson-Odoi played his last game for Chelsea on March 2 in an FA Cup clash with Luton. He was not used by Thomas Tuchel again for the rest of the 2021-22 season, which stood in contrast to his 28 appearances in all competitions prior to that point.

And now he has explained he was struggling with a neurological problem that left him unable to play.

He said: “It was a weird one. It was a neurological thing where I had a tweaked nerve in my back and it stemmed all the way down through my body, so it then became difficult for me to retain muscle.

“There was no power really in my legs and everything was like ‘woah’. I was trying to pass the ball 10 yards but I had no power and I couldn’t even do it.

“I think it was also a post-coronavirus thing from December, which I couldn’t believe because it had been such a long time before.

“The issue started with my Achilles and then I was trying to use other parts of my body to make up for it, so for example when I was running I wasn’t running on my toes as much because my Achilles power wasn’t that strong.

“I was trying to find another way to run and then it started affecting my back but all of it is good now. My Achilles is strong again and my back is strong so everything is perfect. It’s one of those things but I’m glad to be back and to have all my power, strength and speed back is all that I can wish for.”

Hudson-Odoi and Chelsea take on Club America next weekend to kick off their pre-season campaign. They then start their Premier League season by facing Everton on August 6.

31 minutes ago, Zeta said:

Callum Hudson-Odoi has revealed he missed the last two months of last season because of a "weird" injury that left him unable to pass the ball 10 yards.

No different to the rest of our players in the last 2 months of last season then

I've been slated more than once when it comes to my view on CHO.  Yes he's still young, yes he's suffered a few injuries that have kept him out for long spells, but enough is enough.  CHO was fast tracked to the U23, and was going to be the second coming; the kid was put up on a pedestal by the club.  He's been given more chances than any other of the academy players at the club. He's made about 100 appearances since his debut in the first team and has been an abject failure for what he was supposed to bring to the table. He's not been on loan, a big mistake IMO, and for the money he is allegedly on and the hype that comes along with him, I would expect to see a lot more than what I have seen, certainly over the last couple of seasons.  Friendly or not, what I saw last night was the same player afraid to actually take on anyone and beat them, afraid to attack the box but would rather play a 10 yard back pass....we have more than enough of those players in this squad.  As much as I don't rate Sterling, it will be a breath of fresh air to see a CFC wide player taking on a defender and beating them something CHO has failed to produce since his U18/U21 days.

The club should have have sent CHO on loan instead of fast tracking him to the first team, let the kid fall flat on his face in a lower division or at Vitesse, then loan him again to an EPL team if necessary if you really think he's that good. The club, wisely have done that for a majority, if not all of the academy players over the years and look how well they have turned out.  Either CHO goes out on loan this year or cash in, either way he's not cutting it in this team and he isn't doing himself any favours when TT benches him more often than not. 

6 minutes ago, CFCCAN said:

I've been slated more than once when it comes to my view on CHO.  Yes he's still young, yes he's suffered a few injuries that have kept him out for long spells, but enough is enough.  CHO was fast tracked to the U23, and was going to be the second coming; the kid was put up on a pedestal by the club.  He's been given more chances than any other of the academy players at the club. He's made about 100 appearances since his debut in the first team and has been an abject failure for what he was supposed to bring to the table. He's not been on loan, a big mistake IMO, and for the money he is allegedly on and the hype that comes along with him, I would expect to see a lot more than what I have seen, certainly over the last couple of seasons.  Friendly or not, what I saw last night was the same player afraid to actually take on anyone and beat them, afraid to attack the box but would rather play a 10 yard back pass....we have more than enough of those players in this squad.  As much as I don't rate Sterling, it will be a breath of fresh air to see a CFC wide player taking on a defender and beating them something CHO has failed to produce since his U18/U21 days.

The club should have have sent CHO on loan instead of fast tracking him to the first team, let the kid fall flat on his face in a lower division or at Vitesse, then loan him again to an EPL team if necessary if you really think he's that good. The club, wisely have done that for a majority, if not all of the academy players over the years and look how well they have turned out.  Either CHO goes out on loan this year or cash in, either way he's not cutting it in this team and he isn't doing himself any favours when TT benches him more often than not. 

Even factoring our my opinion of him and ignoring how high he was on chance creation per 90 last season, Pulisic and Werner should be out of the door before his future is even looked at (had infinity more chances and bar finishing in the formers case and finishing and movement in the latter's case looks worse in every aspect, yes I'll grant you Callums finishing needs that much room for improvment).

Also he has natural chemistry with the player we should be building this team around with in and of itself puts him above most of the other attackers.

For me it's simple, give him a run on the right with a him-Kai-Sterling front three and with it a chance to build on his natural partnership with Reece and if he still isn't hitting a further level then fair enough, but in reality he has never be given a fair chance to build on any momentum he builds be it through injury (after the world cup final) or being unfairly dropped (last autumn).

If the other forwards were firing then I could maybe let it go but not while Pulisic and Werner are the alternatives.

7 minutes ago, Argo said:

For me it's simple, give him a run on the right with a him-Kai-Sterling front three and with it a chance to build on his natural partnership with Reece and if he still isn't hitting a further level then fair enough, but in reality he has never be given a fair chance to build on any momentum he builds be it through injury (after the world cup final) or being unfairly dropped (last autumn).

Where is Mount playing?

Edited by weetee

3 minutes ago, weetee said:

Where is Mount playing?

I'm (probably blindly) hoping we move to a 4 eventually.

But even if we don't I feel Mount at some point will need some rest with the sheer amount of fixtures he's played last few season's and will this.

3 hours ago, CFCCAN said:

It's his first game in a friendly after being injured for months. Standards like these are why most of our young players never get near the first team

1 minute ago, Drogba1 said:

It's his first game in a friendly after being injured for months. Standards like these are why most of our young players never get near the first team

Probably because we overrate the majority of them. 

Now more than ever these young players need to make their stance. Thought CHO was underwhelming and didn't even realise he was playing. Played on the left, did nothing, Played on the right, did nothing. (You can see his quality in glimpses but why is he so scared to take players on?) As opposed to Pulisic who came in and looked more energetic and determined. 

First game of preseason but I expected more from CHO in a similar manner Gallagher and Ampadu imposed themselves. 

5 hours ago, Drogba1 said:

The problem with CHO is that he’s been underwhelming (in view of most of the fans  and, dare I say, coaches) for a couple of seasons now, whether due to injuries or due to being played out of position. And I don’t consider him any more one of the youngsters as I don’t consider Reece James or Mount to be young players any more. We should judge him by the same standards that we hold Mason or Reece.

24 minutes ago, RMH said:

The problem with CHO is that he’s been underwhelming (in view of most of the fans  and, dare I say, coaches) for a couple of seasons now, whether due to injuries or due to being played out of position. And I don’t consider him any more one of the youngsters as I don’t consider Reece James or Mount to be young players any more. We should judge him by the same standards that we hold Mason or Reece.

But he's not competing against Mount and Reece he's competing about our dismal selection of wingers.

CHO has been very poor since his injury but surely we need to clearing out deadwood like Pulisic and moving Ziyech on before we even look at a home grown young player like Cho's future.

Personally I think CHO is worthy of a bench role next season provided we ship out the 2 I've mentioned and bring in a new wingers.

If he struggles again next season then it may be best to move him on but I'd be very cautious to move on such a young talented home grown player when the only winger we have that can actually beat a man at pace hasn't even played a game for us yet.

Edited by HazardousChoice

11 minutes ago, HazardousChoice said:

But he's not competing against Mount and Reece he's competing about our dismal selection of wingers.

CHO has been very poor since his injury but surely we need to clearing out deadwood like Pulisic and moving Ziyech on before we even look at a home grown young player like Cho's future.

Personally I think CHO is worthy of a bench role next season provided we ship out the 2 I've mentioned and bring in a new wingers.

If he struggles again next season then it may be best to move him on but I'd be very cautious to move on such a young talented home grown player when the only winger we have that can actually beat a man at pace hasn't even played a game for us yet.

Im not saying that he’s competing with Mount or Reece but that he’s to be judged by the same standards. But, in general, I agree with you that he’s not the greatest of our attacking problems and we have to move on other players before him.

9 hours ago, RMH said:

I completely agree. If players like Mason, Reece and Gallagher are now enjoying first team success at Chelsea or elsewhere in the Prem, we should examine why this is. They clearly have the talent (so does CHO) they are learning from players around them, England squads, International games (I'm not sure CHO is) and they have the character, determination and sheer will to succeed (this is where CHO fails for me). He seems to be content with earning £100k+per week and the fame that playing for Chelsea brings. He really doesn't look as though he is prepared to shed the blood sweat and tears for our cause. His performances are ordinary at best, abysmal might be a better word!  He can't get past a defender (does he ever even try?) Is not getting the crosses in, or trying to dribble into the box, so apart from a few 5 yard sideway passes and 10 yard backward passes, what does he bring to the team/squad? Answer = NOTHING.

We should put him out on loan, Palace, Southampton, Fulham or Bournemouth would be a good fit. To be honest I don't think he will succeed at any of these Clubs either, but he is taking a squad place at Chelsea which he doesn't deserve. For me he hasn't got the the right attitude to become the player that we all thought we had, when we gave him the big contract, fighting off Bayern in the process. I bet they are breathing a sigh of relief 😉

Agree with Coombsie. CHO's problem is something that can't be fixed by anyone except CHO......... attitude.

He is more laid back than Eden Hazard but without the equivalent levels of natural ability. I have said this before, there is no edge to him, no aggression, no urgency, no fight. Even when he is cynically fouled there is no reaction, no anger. A shame. We all expected so much from him but I guess he can't help how he is wired.

5 minutes ago, just said:

Agree with Coombsie. CHO's problem is something that can't be fixed by anyone except CHO......... attitude.

He is more laid back than Eden Hazard but without the equivalent levels of natural ability. I have said this before, there is no edge to him, no aggression, no urgency, no fight. Even when he is cynically fouled there is no reaction, no anger. A shame. We all expected so much from him but I guess he can't help how he is wired.

Spot on, he is very circumstantial. He doesn't take charge and lets the situation dictate the outcome. 

The best players in his position over the last few years - Hazard, Messi, Mane, Salah, Vinicius - drive at their opponents with an unrelenting hunger to embarass them. CHO appears to have none of that drive at all. 

49 minutes ago, just said:

Strangely he didnt used to be like this as a youngster, he was very aggressive in the under 21`s/ressies etc, very driven and a leader. I wonder if the injuries have smashed his confidence and faith in his own ability.