Timo Werner

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

1 hour ago, dansubrosa said:

I don’t know, I think Morata was overrated massively. He has never scored over 20 goals in a season and that’s pretty terrible for a striker.

Werner proved what he’s capable of after getting 28 goals in 34 games last season. I think Tuchel will figure it out and get him firing like he did in Germany.

Morata had his uses. Goalscoring record-wise, he's average but he'll score a header or two when he stops flopping all over the pitch. 

Timo gets more than enough chances to score. It's ridiculous how his timing just disappeared, early in the season he was banging them in like it was the most natural thing to do.  

3 hours ago, dansubrosa said:

I don’t know, I think Morata was overrated massively. He has never scored over 20 goals in a season and that’s pretty terrible for a striker.

Werner proved what he’s capable of after getting 28 goals in 34 games last season. I think Tuchel will figure it out and get him firing like he did in Germany.

Morata was most of the time a super-sub type of player. He simply isn't good enough to be the first choice.

Timo had a fantastic season before we signed him, he's a great poacher he just needs to find his mojo back.

6 hours ago, dansubrosa said:

Even before we signed him I was worried about his goalscoring record. People kept making excuses for it before he signed for us, but you could see he was never going to be an elite striker. I didn't expect him to be a massive baby when things didn't go his way though. At least Werner never gives up when things are tough like Morata did.

Will credit him for impeccable workrate and winning the penalty.

But man, he's just so bad at everything else. The way he struggles with the basics it's almost incomprehensible that he did so well in Germany.

2 minutes ago, Sindre said:

Will credit him for impeccable workrate and winning the penalty.

But man, he's just so bad at everything else. The way he struggles with the basics it's almost incomprehensible that he did so well in Germany.

his hold up play is quite poor.. but i think the lack of time he as on the ball is affecting his passing too..and looks really really low on confidence..

Wasn't impressed with him tonight ,but still he contributed to the goal that won us the game.It's unbelievable really how all of our attackers seem to be so bad in front of the goal.Literally everyone.From this guy to Mount,to CHO etc.Hopefully this win (even though it wasn't pretty) gives us some confidence going forward.

I thought he played well tonight, much better on the ball, linked up well, worked his socks off, won the penalty, and his movement was great. 

I still think we struggle to pick his runs out, but i guess it is something to work on as a team, because there was plenty of space tonight, especially 2nd half, and werner shouldve been in his element. 

I thought he was OK tonight made some decent runs in behind and of course won the penalty, but overall still not showing enough . It’s Difficult to know who to play up front right  now, can’t forget that Abraham was anonymous vs Burnley and Giroud very poor against wolves.

1 hour ago, Dubair said:

I thought he was OK tonight made some decent runs in behind and of course won the penalty, but overall still not showing enough . It’s Difficult to know who to play up front right  now, can’t forget that Abraham was anonymous vs Burnley and Giroud very poor against wolves.

Maybe we do false 9 and have Mount up top? 😬

2 hours ago, sonic90 said:

Sigh next week he will have gone 3 months without a goal in the league. I don't know how he's going to dig himself out of this drought.

I honestly don't think he'll ever come good for Chelsea. Hopefully he gets selected to the Germany squad for the Euros and has a decent tournament so we can sell him for a good fee and it not be a total loss. He does literally everything wrong, which I would be able to live with if he was scoring goals but his profligacy in front of goal is horrifying. When he hit the crossbar from a yard out against Krasnodar, Martin Tyler made a comment that Werner would score that 9 times out of 10. It really seems the opposite. I don't seem him anywhere near good enough for the PL and would be incredibly surprised if he were to score even 4 more goals in the league this season. And before the season I thought we had finally solved our striker problem. UGH. This is so painful. 😪

2 hours ago, Butterhampton FC said:

I honestly don't think he'll ever come good for Chelsea. Hopefully he gets selected to the Germany squad for the Euros and has a decent tournament so we can sell him for a good fee and it not be a total loss. He does literally everything wrong, which I would be able to live with if he was scoring goals but his profligacy in front of goal is horrifying. When he hit the crossbar from a yard out against Krasnodar, Martin Tyler made a comment that Werner would score that 9 times out of 10. It really seems the opposite. I don't seem him anywhere near good enough for the PL and would be incredibly surprised if he were to score even 4 more goals in the league this season. And before the season I thought we had finally solved our striker problem. UGH. This is so painful. 😪

Way too early to give that verdict, I will keep starting him as we are clearly a more fluid  team with him up top

1 hour ago, ducavis said:

Way too early to give that verdict, I will keep starting him as we are clearly a more fluid  team with him up top

I remember when we used to give players time to settle in. based on first games we were right to sell de bruyne

7 hours ago, Bluesince66 said:

I have to agree with Slojo,I really don't want to see him wearing the shirt for a while,before the game started when I saw his name I thought here we are playing with 10 men,and my opinion hadn't changed when the game finished. 

This old chestnut. He was literally the deciding factor in our win.

Jorginho also started so its a miracle we won with 9 men.

Edited by Stim

Watch the highlights Chelsea put out. He’s literally involved in every good chance we had.

- Header at the start but was just a little high for him.

- Penalty he won.

- Great run and nearly scored if it wasn’t for the world class challenge from Aurier

- Setup Mount for his chance later in the game.

People are only seeing the big price tag and expecting 30 goals. He is putting a shift in and he is creating for the team. 

Just now, RIP Mourinho said:

Has to start the next three games. Probably the easiest run he will have all season to get a goal and build some confidence. 

The last 3 were pretty easy games.

If we had an academy player up front playing like Werner is, he would of been loaned out in the winter window.

It's not just form or confidence imo, he not a clever finisher like i was led to believe.

He won the penalty but I thought he had an average game. Most of his shots got blocked so he's a bit unlucky...

Sometimes it looks to me like he's not positioning himself properly because his first touch isn't the best but I'm not sure if it has to do with him playing with his weaker foot or if he just has a bad habit of compensating his lack of technique with his pace... Here is an example from the game, I don't know why is it so hard for him at times:

Hes not getting the goals, but he is still getting into the position to have chances, is still showing for the ball all the time, is still closing down etc. For me that shows he may be struggling for the goals but mentally he is still switched on and hungry, which is always the biggest worry with a striker. If they go on a lean run then often they can lose that extra something that gets them into the positions. but Werner isnt which makes me optimistic he can still have an impact on our season. As the saying goes, just needs one to go in of his ass.

2 hours ago, Gol15 said:

He won the penalty but I thought he had an average game. Most of his shots got blocked so he's a bit unlucky...

Sometimes it looks to me like he's not positioning himself properly because his first touch isn't the best but I'm not sure if it has to do with him playing with his weaker foot or if he just has a bad habit of compensating his lack of technique with his pace... Here is an example from the game, I don't know why is it so hard for him at times:

That was a bad pass for him. He obviously expected the ball to go forward and it went behind his back. Should still do better ofc.