Welcome To Chelsea Thiago Silva *Official*

Argo
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

11 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

There was a moment in the second half where he played it between two Sevilla players to get us moving quickly, but our midfielders decided to slow it down and play safe. That really annoyed me because Silva could clearly see an opening for us to actually create something.

Definitely looks more confident to play out from the back than the other centre backs. 

Too much sideways and 10 yard passes normally. Silva looks willing to get his head up go longer when possible. 

JORGINHO AND THIAGO SILVA BOTH STARTED AGAINST SEVILLA, WITH OUR NO.5 SKIPPERING THE SIDE

Since Thiago Silva’s first training session, Frank Lampard has consistently referenced his experience and quality, despite the language barrier which he is working hard to overcome.

Jorginho is heavily involved in that process. Our vice-captain may represent Italy on the international stage, but he grew up in Brazil and with his own English having rapidly improved, he has taught Thiago Silva some key phrases.

‘Man on, drop, up, turn, switch play - the kind of things you need to shout on the pitch,’ revealed Jorginho of some that sprung to mind.

‘When he has some questions or doubts he asks me, and I try to help him. With other players he finds a way, with his hands, or he speaks to me and I give the information to the other guys. Everyone tries to help each other on and off the pitch.

‘He is talking a lot. Defensively he has big experience and he knows about football tactically. He has played at a high level for a long time. It counts for something. It’s easy to see he is a great player.

‘He’s very happy here,’ added Jorginho. ‘He’s a big personality, a big player, with big experience.

‘He’s helping all of us a lot, the group, the young players, everyone because he has personality. He is helping everyone with what he feels and what he feels is the right thing to say. He is doing very well and we are happy to have him here.’

Thiago Silva’s two most recent appearances have yielded clean sheets for the team, and shoring up defensively remains a key target for Lampard and the coaching staff, as well as the players.

‘We are trying to be a solid team, not conceding goals,’ says Jorginho.

‘Details can make the difference: being aggressive, defending inside the box, how to press, 50/50 balls, not switching off on set plays.

‘We need to be aware all the time and we are trying to do that. We are on the right way.’

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/2020/10/22/jorginho-reveals-how-he-is-helping-thiago-silva-settle-and-expla?cardIndex=0-0

What a player! What a player.

I'd pay money for him to be 10 years younger but even at 36 he's one of the absolute best CB's in Europe. Top performance again.

On 04/10/2020 at 01:01, Gol15 said:

Specially not being in your position, in the Chelsea positon. We have T.Silva that knows Cavani very well, it's more probable that T.Silva counters Cavani's efforts than vice versa, so it can be an automatic advantage for us the next time we play them, that is if Cavani gets to play at all.

Their own fans are probably not even sure what to think, if they really wanted Cavani they didn't need to wait all this time to get him.

That block shows he knows how to play against Cavani and has an advantage over him.

He's absolute class, a brilliant defender with incredible positional understanding.  Though I thought zouma was our best defender today, playing alongside Silva us definitely helping him.

11 minutes ago, dkw said:

He's absolute class, a brilliant defender with incredible positional understanding.  Though I thought zouma was our best defender today, playing alongside Silva us definitely helping him.

Zouma tends to be adventurous. He needed a partner that can support him in the mental and tactics side of things

There is just something about the confidence he brings too. There was one situation where Rashford was clear of Azpi with some space to run/cut in and Thiago Silva calmly found his position on the inside and picked the ball from Rashford when he predictably tried to cut in a shoot.

6 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

Best defender we have had since Terry. This is the type of player we should be looking for to play in defense in the future. I know they are hard to find, but they must be out there somewhere, we must find him.

I think it's partially experience that helps but so many defenders get caught ball watching and aren't aware. Sometimes I think you either have judgement and can read the play or you can't.  That block on Cavani is a perfect example. Zero percent chance Christensen is in that same position.

Physically he was good too. Zouma is a good complement for him in that regard. 

Edited by Spiller86

It's not just his defending, it's his passing abillity and composure on the ball. 

Did you see when Havertz made a sh*t backpass later in the game? Bruno I think it was was instantly on it but Thiago kept his cool and skipped the ball past him and made a great pass down the middle. If that had been any of our other defenders they could've flapped, gave the ball away, conceded, and think what would've done to our confidence? Especially Havertz? 

But when you've got a CB like Silva at the back, everything is just better. 

I have to hold my hands up. I thought he was done. I was worried that PSG weren’t giving him the deal he wanted and assumed his legs had gone. He’s easily our best defender. Him replacing Christensen he actually made me realise that Christensen is even worse than I thought he was. Thiago is phenomenal. I really wish he was younger. I hope he’s here next year too. 

Even at 36 he’s still world class, There’s a reason he plays every game for the national team still.. Was always gonna take a bit of time to get used to the league but he seems to be fitting in well.

Just about managing him before the big games he’s needed in now as at his age he isn’t gonna be playing every game, hopefully with his experience some of the other defenders in the team can learn from him.

7 hours ago, Slojo said:

It's not just his defending, it's his passing abillity and composure on the ball. 

Did you see when Havertz made a sh*t backpass later in the game? Bruno I think it was was instantly on it but Thiago kept his cool and skipped the ball past him and made a great pass down the middle. If that had been any of our other defenders they could've flapped, gave the ball away, conceded, and think what would've done to our confidence? Especially Havertz? 

But when you've got a CB like Silva at the back, everything is just better. 

The most impressive thing is that error at West Brom hasn't effected him, you'd be surprised just how many players go into their shell after an error like that but he still takes gambles that offer a relietevely high percentage possiblity of something like that happening again, like for example when he dribbled out of the area while surrounded late on yesterday.