Erling Haaland

driller97

I do think that we have switched target from Haaland to Lukaku due to the financial demands.  We have established the cost of buying him from Dortmund, Raiola's exorbitant fee, Haaland's own signing on fee and the wages, that apparently will break our wage structure. The deal has just got too rich for us and is now dead.

9 hours ago, coombsie said:

I do think that we have switched target from Haaland to Lukaku due to the financial demands.  We have established the cost of buying him from Dortmund, Raiola's exorbitant fee, Haaland's own signing on fee and the wages, that apparently will break our wage structure. The deal has just got too rich for us and is now dead.

As much as I wanted us to signed him, I honestly don't even believe we were interested in the first place. Romano has confirmed that we never made any proposals and it looks like everything in the media about us having bids rejected was hearsay and Lukaku was always the primary target. The media stories were probably the Chelsea press machine feeding the media with large figures to influence the Lukaku transfer after Inter said he was "untouchable".

9 hours ago, coombsie said:

Supposedly Lukaku would become the club's top earner at about 250k/week if the signing is complete. While that may seem like a lot it is barely half the amount that is supposedly been asked for by Haaland's camp. If we were to bring in a player on such a massive wage it would likely drive many of our other players to ask for more too.

Next season I could see Haaland going to United with Solskjaer there, or more likely to one of the Spanish clubs.

8 hours ago, Frankie8Lampard said:

As much as I wanted us to signed him, I honestly don't even believe we were interested in the first place. Romano has confirmed that we never made any proposals and it looks like everything in the media about us having bids rejected was hearsay and Lukaku was always the primary target. The media stories were probably the Chelsea press machine feeding the media with large figures to influence the Lukaku transfer after Inter said he was "untouchable".

It suits our narrative to frame it that way for sure. Certainly makes it sound like we are being clever to sign our top target.

However there are a couple of points that do make it sound more plausible. 

The first being that the club have long tracked Lukaku. From his early days in Belgium, to after we sold him him and continuing to now. He has long been a club target.

The other is that the board, and probably Roman have been said to hold grudges pretty well. Blocking sales and loans to Spurs after what happened with Modric, everything that happened with Contes dismissal etc.

Well we were all set to get Lukaku back from Everton until United one upped us on both sign on fee and Minos agent fee.

I believe the club are no longer entertaining dealing with Mino, which is part of why we did not try and sign Romelu when he left United. He has now changed his agent.

On 04/08/2021 at 02:23, Valerie said:

If he doesn't want to sign for Chelsea, there's no point in offering that ridiculous amount of money.

Champions of Europe, top city, unparalleled amount of chances created, if the money is Right it would be hard to see him not want the move 

Scored a hat trick yesterday in Dortmund's first game of the season.

A shame we missed out on him, should have paid whatever they were asking for given his age and potential. He could have stayed with us for 5 years, scored bags of goals and won countless trophies and still only been 25!! We could have easily sold him after if he wanted to leave for the same or more money

1 hour ago, junkymunky said:

A shame we missed out on him, should have paid whatever they were asking for given his age and potential. He could have stayed with us for 5 years, scored bags of goals and won countless trophies and still only been 25!! We could have easily sold him after if he wanted to leave for the same or more money

It's not like we can't buy him next season if needed. Prices of top players have gone up even more, so we can wait until his release clause kicks in.

Interesting to see who he goes to next summer. Assuming City Kane, it probably leaves United, Bayern and Real (though they may struggle) financially. 

2 minutes ago, JM7 said:

Interesting to see who he goes to next summer. Assuming City Kane, it probably leaves United, Bayern and Real (though they may struggle) financially. 

Bayern would be my guess. 

He gets to replace former Dortmund striker Lewandowski who will be 34 next summer. 

Haaland gets to stay in Germany, move to one of the biggest clubs in Europe. Will the league more years than not and Bayern get him for his cut price release clause. 

I'm sure we tried this one, but between Dortmund, his agent, and probably his personal preference for Madrid, PSG, Barca or dare I say a Manchester club, I don't think we are on the cards.  He does make scoring goals look rather easy though, albeit against a third division side.  Tremendous player.

More than happy with Lukaku - nice to have a seasoned international player amongst our many youth stars.

Edited by PhilH930

2 hours ago, Pulisic22 said:

Zero goals against Bologna and Athletic Bilbao last 10 days, but to score a hattrick against a Bundesliga 3 (3!!!) mid table team is amazing... 

Those were friendlies and this was a cup game? 

8 hours ago, Malcolm9 said:

It's not like we can't buy him next season if needed. Prices of top players have gone up even more, so we can wait until his release clause kicks in.

His release clause activates next season and when he has his pick of clubs for around 60m the chances of him joining us are very slim.

2 hours ago, ForeverCarefree said:

He gets to replace former Dortmund striker Lewandowski who will be 34 next summer. 

Haaland gets to stay in Germany, move to one of the biggest clubs in Europe. Will the league more years than not and Bayern get him for his cut price release clause. 

Yeah Bayern makes the most sense. I did think Real but I just don’t see them competing. So frustrating how Bayern can cherry pick their leagues best players and yet still make out that they are some sort of “pure” club. 

11 hours ago, junkymunky said:

I don't agree, if he did sign he would have run down his contract and gone for free...look at Mbappe at PSG now with 1 year left and no intention of resigning...how much did they pay for him.?

9 hours ago, ForeverCarefree said:

I don't think his release clause is the game here. Everyone know why Dortmund got Haaland and why he has this release clause. 

On 04/08/2021 at 12:32, SFL82 said:

I don’t get how we can bid 100 million for Lukaku who will be worth nothing in 4 years but Haaland will be worth potentially even more in that time, we could get 4-5 years out of him and not lose money. 

Surely it’s better to just pay the 150 million as a long term investment 

Because it's not true. Nowhere has anyone offered a shred of evidence that Haaland was available for £150m - other than a trite Dortmund statement that they would consider a 'ridiculous' fee. The fee is just as likely to be north of £200m.

That sort of transfer, plus player wages and agent costs, means Haaland is also a guaranteed loss like Lukaku. If we bought Haaland for £150m and sold him four years later for £250m, his wage bill alone would still see us lose money on the whole deal.

9 minutes ago, SydneyChelsea said:

Because it's not true. Nowhere has anyone offered a shred of evidence that Haaland was available for £150m - other than a trite Dortmund statement that they would consider a 'ridiculous' fee. The fee is just as likely to be north of £200m.

That sort of transfer, plus player wages and agent costs, means Haaland is also a guaranteed loss like Lukaku. If we bought Haaland for £150m and sold him four years later for £250m, his wage bill alone would still see us lose money on the whole deal.

You are probably right about the money. In that vein though I still think Lukaku is the bigger gamble if the situation was we had the chance to actually get Haaland. What ever the reason was we couldn't. 

Lukaku has no resale value, he has no ceiling he could reach and he will start to slow down in a couple of years. 

If Lukaku hits 25 goals a season no one cares about money. If he doesn't... If he ends up as another Morata we have once again stepped into a massive pile of sh*te. 

9 hours ago, evissy said:

You are probably right about the money. In that vein though I still think Lukaku is the bigger gamble if the situation was we had the chance to actually get Haaland. What ever the reason was we couldn't. 

Lukaku has no resale value, he has no ceiling he could reach and he will start to slow down in a couple of years. 

If Lukaku hits 25 goals a season no one cares about money. If he doesn't... If he ends up as another Morata we have once again stepped into a massive pile of sh*te. 

With resale value you are right though no guarantees even with Haaland and if you remember Casiraghi you remember why.

Lukaku has a better understanding of the PL so should link better, I think he wants to emulate Drogba so has come to the right place and motivation won't be a factor.

25 goals is in golden boot territory how about 20 goals per season?

20 minutes ago, JM7 said:

Bayern confirmed they’re interested. Close the thread now

It would be the smartest move for Mino. Get him there with a 120mill release clause in 3 years time and another big pay day to Real or PSG then.