Erling Haaland

driller97

4 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

We don't really know just how much will a player like Haaland will dominate, specially since we don't know where he will end up. If Bayern replaces Lewandowski with him he might just keep going in the similar style just like Lewa and that's sooner or later the Ballon D'or conversation. Havertz was used in many different ways last season so his end product suffered a bit and Werner missed tons of clear-cut chances, make no mistake a monster of a player won't have a problem to destroy the PL even if teams are trained to not let huge gaps in space in comparison to the Bundesliga. De Bruyne had 10 goals 20 assists in Bundesliga and he kept that same level of end product in the PL as well.

Haaland last season had 41 goals in 41 matches in total, that's Ronaldo/Messi numbers but then it's also worthy to remember that he's turned 21 years just a month ago. Hopefull man City gets Kane so that Haaland doesn't go to them next year. Now for the sake of balance I do remember that Sancho had 17 goals + 17 assists as a winger some season ago as a 19 year old so clearly in Bundesliga it's more easier for a young player to simply expolode so there's that as well.

De Bruyne played in peak Bundesliga, completely different situation. A better example would be Luis Suarez, who came to the EPL from a shockingly poor Dutch league and excelled. 

There will always be talented players from poor leagues who do really well in a higher league, because the league you play in is not always related to your ability. That's common sense - if you put Lionel Messi in Segunda Division, he would score 60 goals a season. There's no doubt Haaland has the tools to be the best striker of any league he plays in.

With Haaland though, the chances he is scoring from in the Bundesliga don't exist in the same frequency in the EPL. One-on-ones with a goalkeeper after springing the offside trap just doesn't exist in the EPL because the teams who play a high line have exceptionally organised defenders, and those that don't defend really, really deep.  Havertz and Werner have spoken about this - the average player in the EPL is much faster, fitter and able to close you down, rushing your ability to make a pass/shot. 

Anyway, my actual point is to say that Haaland, dominant as he will be, is not going to be so far ahead of his rivals that getting a slightly lesser player is going to be a mistake.

19 hours ago, TheSage said:

Now that we've signed Lukaku, we are also out of the running

That will depend on how much Roman fancies a strike force of Lukaku AND Haaland ... 🙂

Tuchel has after all been making a few remarks recently about playing with two strikers ...

Was there ever in footy-history a two-man strikeforce of two players almost identical in their profile? I don't see any rationale that would make a Haaland transfer to us next season likely. Imho, if they can fund it somehow and they probably can, he'll end up at RM alongside Mbappé and eventually Pogba to form the new galacticos. Mbappé and him are different enough to form a good partnership. Haaland and Lukaku are not (at all). Hopefully he doesn't end up at United which is the other scenario I can think of.

9 minutes ago, Ballack & Blu said:

Rush and Aldridge, Anelka-Henry I think played a few times together?

The first two I haven't watched but Anelka and Henry? For France you mean? It's a bit long ago / couldn't see that much international players on a regular basis but i'd say Anelka played a bit different than Henry. Anyway, I worded that not really good to begin with because I specifically meant two strikers with the profile of Haaland/Lukaku. Anelka (I think at least) and Henry where technically quite gifted and could participate well in phases of posession (didn't Henry play wide as well?). Lukaku and Haaland seem to be both extremely vertical players that like to be in the very same spaces (inside or right in front of the oppo-box). While Mbappé or Henry for that matter can always shift to the wing and cut in with pace or by dribbling.

Watched Dortmund at the weekend v Frankfurt and currently watching them v Bayern - I don't know what goes through Haaland's head at the moment, but his behaviour is simply disgusting, looks like a complete spoilt brat throwing his hands in the air and shouting at this teammates everytime things don't go his way. You would think we are in May now with Dortmund coming of a CL Final they've just lost after a 5-0 HT lead and a Bundesliga title lost in the very final round after a Bayern win in Augsburg in the 97th and 99th minutes, that's how frustrated Haaland looks in the 3rd match of the season.

1 hour ago, petre ispirescu said:

Watched Dortmund at the weekend v Frankfurt and currently watching them v Bayern - I don't know what goes through Haaland's head at the moment, but his behaviour is simply disgusting, looks like a complete spoilt brat throwing his hands in the air and shouting at this teammates everytime things don't go his way. You would think we are in May now with Dortmund coming of a CL Final they've just lost after a 5-0 HT lead and a Bundesliga title lost in the very final round after a Bayern win in Augsburg in the 97th and 99th minutes, that's how frustrated Haaland looks in the 3rd match of the season.

Loved the way he cleaned out Neuer though!

On 16/08/2021 at 08:10, SydneyChelsea said:

De Bruyne played in peak Bundesliga, completely different situation. A better example would be Luis Suarez, who came to the EPL from a shockingly poor Dutch league and excelled. 

There will always be talented players from poor leagues who do really well in a higher league, because the league you play in is not always related to your ability. That's common sense - if you put Lionel Messi in Segunda Division, he would score 60 goals a season. There's no doubt Haaland has the tools to be the best striker of any league he plays in.

With Haaland though, the chances he is scoring from in the Bundesliga don't exist in the same frequency in the EPL. One-on-ones with a goalkeeper after springing the offside trap just doesn't exist in the EPL because the teams who play a high line have exceptionally organised defenders, and those that don't defend really, really deep.  Havertz and Werner have spoken about this - the average player in the EPL is much faster, fitter and able to close you down, rushing your ability to make a pass/shot. 

Anyway, my actual point is to say that Haaland, dominant as he will be, is not going to be so far ahead of his rivals that getting a slightly lesser player is going to be a mistake.

Just one example of a player that did the same thing in Bundesliga and then in the PL as well. If Haaland could score 41 goals as a 20 year old how amazing will he be once he gets past 25? It's just common sense and that's why I hope he doesn't end up playing for our rivals in the PL.

3 hours ago, Gol15 said:

Just one example of a player that did the same thing in Bundesliga and then in the PL as well. If Haaland could score 41 goals as a 20 year old how amazing will he be once he gets past 25? It's just common sense and that's why I hope he doesn't end up playing for our rivals in the PL.

Of course, common sense dictates that he will improve.

I'd love him at Chelsea, I think he'll be one of the best players in the world over the next ten years, but I don't think he will instantly make a team competitive let alone unbeatable for titles. Thierry Henry was the best player in the Premier League for many years but his presence made Arsenal merely competitive with Man U and later Chelsea, Arsenal were far from dominant.

11 hours ago, petre ispirescu said:

He's been like that last season too. The narrative always is that he's just "utterly ambitous, lifting his teammates morale by his restlesness" instead of "look how arrogant and self absorbed he's playing, even openly criticising his own teammates once a pass wasn't on point". I don't buy in any of those though, I guess it's mostly antics of self-motivation and not much more but I agree that it doesn't look great from the outside at times. In the BL it's always hyped (by the media mostly I'd guess) when somebody like him embodies the resistance to Bayerns hegemony - and nobody could do that better than Haaland tbh.

Anyway, would like to see him play in a possession based side once because the great thing about Lewandowski is his ability to score from "static" situations while Haaland is mostly (almost exclusively it seems) doing his power-runs with a top notch finish. His passing game was 50/50 at best too yesterday.

Edited by weetee

1 minute ago, weetee said:

Anyway, would like to see him play in a possession based side once because the great thing about Lewandowski is his ability to score from "static" situations while Haaland is mostly (exclusively) doing his power-runs with a top notch finish. His passing game was 50/50 at best too yesterday.

Yeah, from what i've watched his overall game needs to lift. At higher levels he simply won't get the one-on-one time with goalkeepers he currently craves and his passing is erratic at the best of times. 

I think that will come with age and experience (think Lukaku or Kane) but his attitude is sometimes questionable. Haaland has never won anything of note and while it's one thing to 'motivate' a bunch of teenagers at Dortmund, it's a different kettle of fish to slot in at a club with older professionals who've won everything. 

6 minutes ago, SydneyChelsea said:

Yeah, from what i've watched his overall game needs to lift. At higher levels he simply won't get the one-on-one time with goalkeepers he currently craves and his passing is erratic at the best of times. 

I think that will come with age and experience (think Lukaku or Kane) but his attitude is sometimes questionable. Haaland has never won anything of note and while it's one thing to 'motivate' a bunch of teenagers at Dortmund, it's a different kettle of fish to slot in at a club with older professionals who've won everything. 

Not to be misunderstood: he's an amazing player and I really like watching him. His "motivation"...it seems so over the top at times that I wouldn't rule out a good "show" - he's clearly the best at his side, heck there aren't any players in the whole BL that create such a hype and craze - and he shows it. Doesn't mean he can't fit in perfectly within a...say..Chelsea squad. Although that would have been a joy to watch, I'm kinda happy with the Lukaku comeback. We have a lot of still extremely young and all of them extremely talented bunch of attacking players, having a extremely experienced, sympathetic but still super ambitious player in his prime alongside those could develop our overall game much further than eventually a Haaland transfer would have realised. (Although I wouldn't have complained either way ;).

On 22/08/2021 at 21:42, Liam said:

For his sake I hope he gets a move soon and he can use the signing bonus to buy a new face.

If nothing else we can at least close this thread as this now has nothing to do with Chelsea. Us not signing a player that doesn't want to play for us for a position that is no longer vacant kind of makes this thread redundant.

On 18/08/2021 at 15:43, SydneyChelsea said:

Usually young striker tend to develop link up/passing etc2 later on their career. 

2 hours ago, JM7 said:

“Mino Raiola demanded a wages of €50m/year for Erling Håland from @ChelseaFC this Summer, in addition to agents fees of €40m”

No wonder we couldn’t agree a deal. Glad the club stayed away. 

Just read that from Bild, Equates to 810, 000 owes, in a £265 million package, a medium yacht for Roman, but not much in a potential sell on, PSG over to you, you French clots….

2 hours ago, JM7 said:

“Mino Raiola demanded a wages of €50m/year for Erling Håland from @ChelseaFC this Summer, in addition to agents fees of €40m”

Mino Raiola 'demanded Erling Haaland was paid £820,000 PER WEEK to join Chelsea, with a £34m agent's fee AND a salary for himself in £257m package' before Blues moved for Romelu Lukaku  

Original source is Deutsche BILD.

INSANE

Just pay the extra £50m Marina! 

At those wages, there is no resale value. It would cost us over €400m to have him for  years.

€175m transfer fee

€40m agent fee

€200m in wages

Not sure what to believe, I cant imagine he was even a target at those figures. 

Rome, Romelu,

Rome, Romelu, 

Rome, Romelu,

Romelu Lukaku!

4 hours ago, JM7 said:

Mental!

No wonder why we quickly moved on to Lukaku. It would have completely destroyed how we manage our finances if we had pushed through with that. 

2 hours ago, mojo said:

I wonder whether this ridiculous and unrealistic amount was set just to send Chelsea the message "he really really really doesn't want to sign for you" or that it's a demand for every club that comes knocking. 

IF it's true of course... 

Edited by Valerie

It's crazy how many people forget that football is a team sport. There is so much money floating about for individual players. It is insane. Imagine a single player being worth more than 2/3 decent players who could add to, and strengthen a team. I find it pretty distasteful tbh. The money in football is becoming sickening. 

Also, much as i like this guy watching his body language for BD this season and he has the mental stability of a 8 year old, sulking if it doesn't go his way. This habit of showing how high he can get his feet (up to his shoulder in the tackle) rather than heading the ball won't wash in this country either. Mike Dean will love that.

4 hours ago, mojo said:

As if the ludicrous salary and transfer fee wasn't enough for him despite having no track record of winning any trophies or accolades wasn't bad enough, there should be no reason why an agent especially that cnut Raiola to be getting a fee in the tens of millions.