Chelsea v Valencia (CL) Tue 17th Sep 20:00 GMT

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

5 minutes ago, enigma said:

I actually wouldn't be against dropping out the group into the EL. 

EL might be easier to win but personally Id rather we make the knockout stage of the CL even if we dont win it. Our team needs experience and part of that experience is experiencing the pain of losing in CL for future motivation. Going to the EL and winning it again will just paper over cracks for another season.

Just now, Scott Harris said:

Crap game of football, crap performance, a big set back and another crucial player injured. Tonight was like watching us last season, clueless up front and slow all over the pitch. 

I think we needed 3 in the middle tonight, playing a back three you really shouldnt be falling asleep at free kicks like tonight. With three in the middle i think we could of  managed the game better and had longer spells in thier half and more chances.

3 minutes ago, Sexyfootball said:

Let's not over-react. Barkley had the balls to step up and take responsibility at a key moment, just like Tammy did against Liverpool a few games back. It didn't work out, but we can recover from this in the remaining games.

Others were also trying to step up to take it.  

6 minutes ago, Sexyfootball said:

Let's not over-react. Barkley had the balls to step up and take responsibility at a key moment, just like Tammy did against Liverpool a few games back. It didn't work out, but we can recover from this in the remaining games.

Imo big difference between stepping up and volunteering in a penalty shootout than randomly going against the grain and not letting take our designated penalty taker (I assume Jorginho?) take it. The guy had just come on... Others were better placed to take it. Not sure if I am making it up, but even playing around the park you would feel better taking penalties if you had kicked around the ball a decent bit that day. Hence why I assume others crowded around him to ask if it was a good idea? But meh, can't do anything about it now. Good on Jorginho for handling like a champ though, wonder what Lamps makes of it.

Either way, let's not scapegoat Barkley too much - seemed a silly thing to do, especially in hindsight, but the performance reflected the result I feel. ?

Hopefully we beat these lot at theirs!

Edited by Saru

I'm still in shock by Barkley at the end. Honestly he's not even third choice penalty taker. I don't care if you have fresh legs or not. You think Frank would have let anyone take an 85th minute penalty ober him just because they had fresh legs. 

Back to the U23s for Ross once Ruben and Kante are back.

Just now, Scott Harris said:

Crap game of football, crap performance, a big set back and another crucial player injured. Tonight was like watching us last season, clueless up front and slow all over the pitch. 

This is what happens when Pedro and Willian are the main support for the striker.

They lack that ability that Mount has in spades, to play the right ball or get into a goal-scoring position. You can't teach instinct like that.

I thought we should've won this game. We were much better than them. Valencia were f**king average, would be lucky to finish above Southampton if them played in the PL. It just wasn't our day, on another day it could've been 5-1 of course they go and score with their first shot on target because of our sh*t defence. 

And f**k you Barkley. I don't want to see that useless prick in a Chelsea shirt again anytime soon. f**king cost us big time.

1 minute ago, coco said:

I think we needed 3 in the middle tonight, playing a back three you really shouldnt be falling asleep at free kicks like tonight. With three in the middle i think we could of  managed the game better and had longer spells in thier half and more chances.

? Coco, you do realize Frank just changed the formation at that point, right?

3 minutes ago, Sexyfootball said:

Totally different situations there. Tammy volunteered to the manager to take 5th pen. Barkley basically fought the ball away from other recognised pen takers to make himself a hero and f**ked up big style. 

Agree that we can recover to qualify for group stage.

1 minute ago, Sexyfootball said:

I don't think the situations are similar.Tammy was the last to take a postmatch penalty, while Barkley demanded the ball ahead of Jorginho and Willian who would normally take one, during the game. If it was 4-0 with ten minutes to go and three points safely in a pocket, no one would care. But if you push everyone away to be the one to take it, with your team a goal down and the time running out, you better deliver, and if you don't, you deserve all the sh*t you're going to get. 

Pedro was frustrating,If he wasn’t a sub for Mason himself I think he would of been hooked.

Slightly worried about Kepa, seems to concede a good percentage of the shots he faces.

Oh well...

Edited by 2211

2 minutes ago, Sexyfootball said:

This is what happens when Pedro and Willian are the main support for the striker.

They lack that ability that Mount has in spades, to play the right ball or get into a goal-scoring position. You can't teach instinct like that.

The way I see it is Pedro and Willian have lost that spark to try and be the difference. They always play the safest passes and barely get into the right positions to score. 

Back to earth tonight. Barkley had The guts to take the pen and everyone misses one every now and then. Personally I thought Pedro was the worst for us tonight and I think frank got his tactics and subs wrong. 

Nut it really it’s not that surprising we come crashing back to earth  it’s going to be that kind of season  thin squad injuries youth  

1 minute ago, Sexyfootball said:

Actually it is quite difficult to miss a penalty (the target) - usually the result of out-smarting everyone, including yourself.

It is like driving nails into wood - the less you f**k about, the safer your fingers are.

It's disappointing result, we shouldn't lose here, at least a draw. 

I think that goal we conceded, we were conceding with every defence we had in past, great tactic by Valenica. Overall our defence wasn't that bad tonight.

Our attack didn't work well, Abraham put a lot effort, but he hasn't commited a shot towards the goal. Willian moments of brilliance with his dribble, but then the final action was poor. Pedro is poor.

That's how Mount important for us, his creativity and ball control give us more options, we were struggling to create chances tonight. 

Heads up, let's continue. COME ON CHELS!!!

Just now, bluehaze said:

Lets forget who our manager is and put sentiment to one side Leicester, Sheffield Utd, Valencia if we played like this under Sarri fans would be going nuts and rightly so. It's going to be a long hard season I'm afraid.

Agree with you, we looked like last season under Sari ( the frustrating part of last season )