Who's to blame?

Old Shaggy

Who is at fault for the current state of affairs? Is it a combination of people? Or is someone solely responsible?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Who's to blame?

• Roman Abramovich
    • The Board
    • Sarri
    • The players
    • Other (Please specify)

I don't think one person or group is the problem. I think the players have a terrible attitude at times and I think Sarri has made some really poor tactical decisions over the last few months. 

The players approach to games is shocking at times. They look disinterested from kickoff, play a poor and slow game where they barely seem to get out of 2nd gear. Then when they lose they will react positively for one game then go back to the same poor performance. It's like they think they can just turn up and things will be alright. When we concede a goal, we fall to pieces and their seems to be little determination to turn it around. They just look hopeless out there, when things go bad, they completely collapse. Could you imagine this group even getting close to trying as hard as the group that beat Barcelona and Bayern Munich in 2012? They would sh*t themselves if they came up against that.

Sarri isn't so perfect either. His tactical approach when things are going wrong is awful. He has had a ton of wake up calls to adapt his tactics and change things up a bit, but he's not budged one bit. He makes a few changes to the starting 11 often enough, but his tactical approach never changes, no matter what situation we are in. That midfield looks so unbalanced and he's done nothing to change things. He can see Kante looking awkward and hesitent in this role, he can see Jorginho struggling because the opposition get tight to him as soon as he touches the ball, he can see that Kovacic has no natural attacking instinct. He persists with all of it though. What does he think is going to happen? Does he think those 3 will suddenly click and all will be good? It's not going to happen. Teams are just going to target Jorginho in every game, which is what they are doing now. They get tight to him, wait for the mistake or just tackle him and they counter us. He thinks we can play like his Napoli side, if people think this is possible in the Premier League then they are deluding themselves. Look at videos of that Napoli side, look at the way Serie A teams stand off and let the midfield play around with the ball. That doesn't happen in the Premier League and Sarri just keeps persisting with it. He's not adapting, he's getting worse. I can completely understand why people are questioning him because he's showing no signs that he can turn it around. Things have been getting worse and worse for 4 months now.

The board......well who knows with those lot. One season they seem to back the manager then they spend money on painfully average players like Zappacosta, Drinkwater and Bakayoko. Maybe it's because we lack somebody with a football brain in there, I don't know, but I wish they would show some consistency and help us understand what it is the club is aiming for. I have never been so confused about where this club is going in all my time as a fan.

Mixture of everything.

Sarri's naivety and refusing to make obvious changes and playing the same players.

The players for being spineless cowards.

The board for some shocking signings. Last two windows have been good though.

Roman for apparently not even speaking to Sarri since he's been here.

Mainly the board.

They haven’t strengthened the team at all since we won the league.

Zappacosta, Bakayoko, Morata, Batshuayi, Drinkwater etc, we kept buying average players for stupid money. Imagine if we spent the money on great quality players? We wouldn’t be in this situation.

Its also the players but the board is the biggest fault. What I would love to see is a huge shake up right from the board down to the players. Replace the transfer scouts, get a DoF in, stick with Sarri, have a big clearout, have a structured plan for the next 10 years of where we want to be.

The club is rotten to its very core and big changes are needed. No manager is going to make any difference so we may as well stick with Sarri.

For me, there's blame to go around to everyone.

-The board spends frivolously. Players like Drinkwater and Zappacosta have no place in our squad and don't need to be here. We spent so much on players who have done nothing here. A player like Morata though was a big purchase that unfortunately didn't work out but if AM buy, we will recoup a good chunk of that. No one is going to pay what we did for Drinkwater.

-Sarri is as frustrating in that he fields the same players who under perform time after time. It's obvious that the a majority of the players we have don't fit his system and are unable to adapt to his style of play. Then Sarri refuses to change what he thinks is the only way to play. IMO Man City play as closest to his Sarriball as you're going to see. Chelsea has played the defensive counter too long to be able to switch to a new style to be effective immediately. Sarriball has either not worked in the premier league or it has not been adapted well enough by the players we have

-Most of the players are disgraceful in how they have played lately. If they have no grit to play whats the point of keeping them around. And I don't know if there is a serious breakdown between players and manager but this style of play to me looks not much different than before. Yeah its a different formation but the players still play the way they did the previous season.

1 hour ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Mixture of everything.

Sarri's naivety and refusing to make obvious changes and playing the same players.

The players for being spineless cowards.

The board for some shocking signings. Last two windows have been good though.

Roman for apparently not even speaking to Sarri since he's been here.

I think it's mostly the board though, when we brought in AVB we did something similar, we didn't even bring in any of the players to suit his style of football. 

We literally had to play a high line with players like John Terry and Alex for crying out loud, then who did we have in midfield? A 34 year old Lampard along with John Obi Mikel, Raul Meireles and Ramires who was our only player with legs in it, and we had no pace on the wings whatsoever, we had to play Daniel Sturridge out wide because we had Soloman Kalou and a 33 year old Malouda as our only options on the wings. The board are more stupid and naive with these decisions, how on earth did we go into the season with Pedro and Willian over 30 and Hazard with two years left on his contract, likely to leave. 

Even Hazard for all his greatness isn't suited to the way Sarri wants to play, so what was the point of bringing Sarri in? It's like the board do no research at all on the managers that they employ. What was Sarri supposed to do with that frontline? You've brought in Jorginho, well done! Who else? We've brought you here to play fast-paced football with high pressure and intensity and btw here are two ageing wingers... It's like some sort of sick joke, but of course it's mostly Sarri's fault according to so many people. 

These aren't the greatest group of players we've called a Chelsea 'team' but they're the ones to blame, as we know full well they can play when they want to.

On the other hand I'm sick of the decisions Sarri makes with the same players playing out of form, same subs, same team with Jouginho stealing kantes best position and doing bugger all in the process.

Also special mention to the board, they're also useless. How can we have a woman with limited footballing knowledge out there signing our players? 

To be fair the whole club is stinking at the moment.

Its complex.
Abramovich

the board

players

Abramovich left the club in the wrong hands - Marina. Call me old fashion, but football and woman not work well together.

Tell me other clubs at high level that are run successful by a woman ?

Right now this is what happen.

I`m pretty sure she is good at the business part, but football is different.

So bad decision made, and was absolutely unnecessary to shows who the boss is to Conte, just because he wanted more power in the club and to be the MAN.

It was obvious this war will go bad and the hurt ones will be the team and the fans.

And the last one of course is the players. But still the other 2 factors play role here, because they allow this from the very begining.

It was obvious at one point it will happen and players will do what they want, when they want, knowing that manager is like a toilet paper.

Why should i blame Sarri for anything ? We see the same with Conte. And let`s face it, we knew what we will get, when we appoint him. You don`t expect to play different, under such a manager. And result like 4-0 and 6-0, was meant to happen at some point.

That is why i don`t like the idea of such football and style. It`s a one trick pony. I mean even the best attacking manager has such result, and with a greater team like Bayern Munich. They lost 4 or 5 nil to Real Madrid if i don`t recall wrong. In his first very season they lost big to Everton too. Some other matches i remember, they concede some big goals as well.

I have always been for a football we played under Conte first season, and Ancelotti, even Mou at his first period here or our title run the second time. We played some good football.

I don`t know why so much people was complaining about Conte style. In the very first season, everyone was copying us, Arsenal, Tottenham and even other team from other country was trying with wingbacks.

We played great football and scored a lot of goals.  We scored 85 goals, more then City, Liverpool, United, and only Tottenham scored with one goal more then us, because they scored like 20 goals in their last 5 matches with team fighting for none.

Conte always said there need to be balance. The only match we really played defensively was the first match against the City, and that is it. In every other matches, we controlled the ball, not with 80%+ possession, but we domineer most of the teams and has plenty of clear chances.

If you want to be successful you have to have balance between attacking and defending.

That`s why i don`t like so much attacking oriented managers like Sarri, like Tuchel, and Emeri. You are prone to such results.

I`m all for fast paces balanced football with moving the ball fast, not to just have the ball 80% of the time, but do slow attack and do nothing.

As i said i don`t blame Sarri for anything, cause we started really well. He have done his part, he is trying hard, but he is limited with a bad squad, he missed pre season, and players again are doing s****.

Dont forget we started with 5 clear wins, then we goes unbeaten in 12 matches in the league.

And stop with this nonsenses that he isn`t changing anything and are stubborn and it`s doing the same thing.

If anyone really thinks he isn`t trying and doing change, then he knows nothing in football.

Every big team have analyst and the whole coaching team and players are watching every match we play probably few times, and our coaching team and analyst probably more to see what`s going wrong and what they can change.

How someone can think, after such big loses, the manager goes and say, we go and play absolutely the same, change nothing, it`s simply beyond me. It`s a complete nonsenses.

Just because you can`t see with your eyes, because you are not a "pro" doesn`t mean our coaching team isn`t changing things.

So board choice to sacked Conte and to appoint Sarri with the idea of attacking football, and it was obvious we will need time. No team is assured and ensured to qualify for CL. With that rivals, you can always miss it.

So even if we win nothing, and place 6, sacking of Sarri will be bad move, because he was their choice. They decided we will take this step. If they sack him it will be mean, they are doing s*** after s**** and are complete mess, that doesn`t have a vision plan.

1 hour ago, loshlosh said:

Abramovich left the club in the wrong hands - Marina. Call me old fashion, but football and woman not work well together.

Tell me other clubs at high level that are run successful by a woman?

I am guessing you didn't complete that online "Equality and Diversity" training course?

If @Valerie and @moi read this you could find yourself busy on Tuesday.

6 hours ago, just said:

I am guessing you didn't complete that online "Equality and Diversity" training course?

Thank you, @just for bringing this to my attention.

Be afraid, @loshlosh, be very afraid! The wrath of @Valerie and @Beerqueen, not to mention @moi will be arriving soon! Barricade your doors!!!

I selected everyone except Sarri, not that I think he’s blameless in this seasons downturn in form but the current stare of affairs had me thinking about the club on a wider scale, I don’t think he’s been here long enough to take blame for that.

Personally - Roman - he oversee’s the whole operation, he owns it and it’s up to him to keep it competitive or even just working smoothly which we definitely do not do.

the board - the way we chuck money at average or in some cases below average players is absolutely outrageous. The Salah, De Bruyne, Lukaku, Tibo stage - who oversaw this? Was it Emenalo? If so, we need someone like that back. 

The players - pretty simple one really, they try when they want to. They don’t look to me to have the passion or desire to fight when things get tough. When we’ve been taken out the title races in Jose’ and Conte’s second season it’s like they just give up. In other cases, some of them are just not good enough to play for Chelsea.

The board and the players. 

The board should give the manager the players he needs to make his system work. Conte never had the support after winning the league, and now it's happening with Sarri.

Some of the players just don't fit the style and work ethic needed to make Sarri's vision for the team a reality. We need to sell players like Alonso, Willian who just slow down the play, I would even sell Hazard if it meant we had better team unity going forward.

No player is bigger than the team.

If you were Roman, what organizational changes would you make to fix the situation?

For me, I'm still a bit old school and I think the manager needs to have a certain amount of control over transfers and squad building. My ideal scenario would be:

Board + Marina + Roman: Set the budget for player acquisition and wages for the next few years. Has final veto power over transfer fees and contract renewals, but will use this power prudently. Responsible for hiring the Manager. Should probably think of incentives to encourage manager to think of both long term and short term success. 

Manager: Ultimately DOF and Head Coach in one person. Determines football philosophy, while putting it into practice on the pitch. Is the man on the touchline on the weekend, but also responsible for transfers and contracts,  This person will have ALOT on their plate, so they will need help.  Aside from their usual teams of assistants and coaches, The Manager would need to make one very crucial hire:

An Assistant DOF that would be hired by, and reports to, the Manager. This person would be responsible for running the scouting network / player analytics while also responsible for putting a dollar value on players. Responsible for the Youth/Academy program and progression through the ranks. Responsible for transfer and contract negotiations. Would need to be someone The Manager trusts and respects. 

Put simply, this Assistant DOF is responsible for sourcing the players The Manager needs, to play The Manager's system...while working within a 2-3 year budget. He would also be constantly evaluating the current squad.

Of course, the risk with this system is that if a Manager doesn't work out, you would have to fire him along with his DOF. However, I think this system would eliminate alot of the DOF vs Head Coach disputes that you see throughout football nowadays. 

Unfortunately, I don't see anything like this happening at CFC. At this point, even a traditional DOF between the manager and the board would already be a step in the right direction 

8 hours ago, just said:

The twerp goes on and on. And on. I don't even read it any more. That makes him a lucky man in view of the despicably sexist, misogynistic remark you picked out for BQ, Moi and me!

Archived