David Datro Fofana to Chelsea

evissy
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

37 minutes ago, ducavis said:

That will be silly if we are just paying 8 figures for these players just to stick them in the Development Squad.

Tbf the progress of our signings that have been tossed in the development squad has been promising. 

- Chukmueka played only 2 games before he was ready for the senior squad. 

- Casadei is making PL2 look like a joke and Hutchinson has been displaying Hazard levels of performances. Both will likely be with the senior squad soon I imagine. 

Given that this bloke was also scouted by Brighton several weeks ago, you can only imagine this is technically our first signing from the new recruitment team. 

As a Norwegian, I can say that this guy has been the most hyped talent in the Norwegian leagues since Ødegaard/Haaland.

His potential is extremely high, and I dont think there's much doubt he will, at the very least, become a decent PL player some time in the future. Whether he can contribute already this season, remains to be seen though. Worth mentioning that the Norwegian league ended more than a month ago, so he would need time to get his fitness levels up 

Think this is the kind of signing we can expect many more of from our newly appointed transfer gurus, and I'm actually quite excited about it. 

I suppose I should also pitch in here as Molde FK happens to be my local team that I follow closely. Therefore i've also seen more of Datro than most and also have a family member who train/play with him on a daily basis as his teammate.

Can only say I am very, very surprised we have bought him. A talented player for sure but nowhere near ready for us. The gulf between Eliteserien and PL is enormous and although Fofana had a good season overall he's very inconsistent and lacks many key components to make it here in my view. Price is steep for what we are getting and I hope this isn't a sign of whats to come in the market. It did worry me a bit when we hired Brightons coach and Brighton recruiters if they could work with an elevated standard and this doesn't easy those concerns but Datro can obviously surprise me and that would be brilliant.

He is a good dribbler and very quick. Those are his best attributes at the moment but he needs to develop a lot in other areas. He's also got a severe case of tunnel vision on the pitch most of the time and I can't tell you how many times his teammates have torn their hairs out after some of his choices in attacking areas.

14 hours ago, OriginalS said:

I suppose I should also pitch in here as Molde FK happens to be my local team that I follow closely. Therefore i've also seen more of Datro than most and also have a family member who train/play with him on a daily basis as his teammate.

Can only say I am very, very surprised we have bought him. A talented player for sure but nowhere near ready for us. The gulf between Eliteserien and PL is enormous and although Fofana had a good season overall he's very inconsistent and lacks many key components to make it here in my view. Price is steep for what we are getting and I hope this isn't a sign of whats to come in the market. It did worry me a bit when we hired Brightons coach and Brighton recruiters if they could work with an elevated standard and this doesn't easy those concerns but Datro can obviously surprise me and that would be brilliant.

He is a good dribbler and very quick. Those are his best attributes at the moment but he needs to develop a lot in other areas. He's also got a severe case of tunnel vision on the pitch most of the time and I can't tell you how many times his teammates have torn their hairs out after some of his choices in attacking areas.

That very last frustrating part reminds me of Batsman.

On 15/12/2022 at 16:41, OriginalS said:

This is really good info. Thank you.

Once it became obvious that a key Daniel Sturridge weakness was his selfishness on a football pitch, many Chelsea fans tried to convince others that this would eventually be coached out of him. I argued that they were wrong because that weakness would have been with him since childhood and that many coaches would have tried to eradicate it. The fact they had not succeeded meant he was never going to fix it and, indeed, he did not. This causes me to worry that the same might be true for DDF.

I like DDF's skill level but it's not enough on its own. I support signing him for a low fee on the basis of the talent but I hope the decision makers have taken into account a realistic view of his chances of fixing this and not just assumed, or hoped, it can be cured. There is in fact evidence of this problem at about 0:27 in the highlights video above. DDF scores an apparently brilliant goal but, instead or being elated two of his teammates are unimpressed. One even turns away in exasperation that, even though the shot went in, the cross did not come. This shows evidence that his teammates expect selfishness and are fed up with it.

I still like the talent but I feel better informed having read your summary. Whether they have this right will be an early test of the new recruitment team.

Edited by OhForAGreavsie

12 hours ago, Sconnie Blue said:

Just want a player that can give us a similar impact as Alvarez. 

We would have to play them for that to happen not stick them in the development squad, or send them out on loan. I am still not convinced the loan system works. Your City, Liverpool & to an extent Arsenal all develop their talents in-house. 

3 hours ago, ducavis said:

We would have to play them for that to happen not stick them in the development squad, or send them out on loan. I am still not convinced the loan system works. Your City, Liverpool & to an extent Arsenal all develop their talents in-house. 

That's the problem. We're not willing to develop our promising players and too easily we label them as "not yet ready to play for us". We don't really value our own players and give them playing time, continuously sending them on loan yet we expect other clubs to value and develop them for us. How do we expect our players to develop when they have to start from scratch every year at a new club ?

Edited by Nick05

I have never heard of him, never seen the lad play, and wouldnt be able to pick him out of a lineup...

but....

...I, and many others, have said for a long time that Chelsea should move away from signing fully formed "already made it" players. Our performance at buying such players is at best sketchy, and the long line of failures (Morata, Torres, Lukakau, Bakayoko, Drinky, Kepa etc) stretches far beyond the list of successes.  So, if moving for players like this, unknown and unproven, is a mechanism to see us explore moving away from the ready made superstar, then that for me is a good thing.

This week we were linked with 120m + for enzo fernandez. As good as he may be/become, we should be getting players like that earlier, for the same prices that they go for to the likes of Benfica.