Willian

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Just now, Argo said:

I don't see what the problem is with one year deals for players plus 30, it's common sense to protect ourselves from having a squad full of ageing declining players on big and longish contracts like what happened at the start of this decade is.

My point (tongue in cheek) is that would they really do it if it was Messi regardless that he is over 30.....I bet they would make an exception.  Having these hard and fast rules is nuts in my opinion especially if the player is fit and playing well. 

1 minute ago, CFCCAN said:

My point (tongue in cheek) is that would they really do it if it was Messi regardless that he is over 30.....I bet they would make an exception.  Having these hard and fast rules is nuts in my opinion especially if the player is fit and playing well. 

But the point is, at that age, it can change at any minute. In 2010 our team of experienced veterans went from obituarating all before them one minute to stale and lethargic the next, i do agree exceptions could be made in special cases (which Messi would qualify under) but in general i am very glad we won't have another 10/11 any time soon.

31 minutes ago, the special one said:

Nooo it isn't a rumour, at least not yet anyway.

It would make sense though... Barca have a history of playing 4-3-3, Liverpool play 4-3-3. Klopp has also been at Liverpool for a few years now, he may want a new challenge?

not sure about that one bro, but I have heard rumors of Quique Setien replacing Valverde - he is doing a really good job w/ Real Betis - btw this just came in over the twittersphere

Edited by robdog

This came out of left field and within a matter of hours we’ve went from receiving the bid to rejecting it.

Theres probably not even been a bid made.

I get as emotional as the next person (sometimes more) just look at the match threads (eh @yorkleyblue) but using personal insults on our own players is on a par with that idiot who was buzzing when he thought Willian was injured the other week - there’s no need, they’re still one of us.

The only reasoning behind this is that we think it is too risky to sell Willian this time of the year, he’s settled, knows the team, a regular first teamer.

Malcom seemed to have flopped badly at Barcelona and maybe they realised he’s not what he was hyped up to be. We may be wiser and think keeping Willian will keep us in a better stead for top 4 finish rather than taking Malcom in exchange. If the total is 50m, they’ve paid 38m for Malcom so how much cash are they offering, 20m???

Thats not going to get us a first teamer. Chelsea must think Willian is a much better player than Malcom.

I sort of agree with the board on this one:

- We are in the middle of the season fighting for a top 4 spot.

- Sarri plays a system which needs to be thought. Willian has learnt his role and his playing to it - sure, his goals are a letdown, but there are other things he is doing.

- We have 4 wingers in Willian, Pedro, Hazard and CHO. Of this CHO has contract issues, Pedro is coming from injury. Hazard and Willian are the only 2 consistent wingers we are playing with. 

If the season had ended I would be crying about us not accepting the cash, but at this junction when we are already down a striker position, I would not want to destabilize the left wing position.