Chelsea v Man Utd (PL) Sun 28th Feb 2021 16:30 GMT

coco
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

2 minutes ago, Munkworth said:

I can never forgive Cardiff away, ruined my birthday! There were some fun games too mind!

You keep arguing his hand was in an unnatural position but all of these things occur naturally when playing football. That’s not an excuse or a justification, it’s a fact. What do you expect them to do, take their arms off for 90 minutes? 

Also his hand was barely level with his chin so I how it’s suddenly above his head I fail to understand. 

At head level then - as if that changes anything. A defender raising hand (at all, to to head level or otherwise) when defending in the box is asking for a pen to be given. I stand by it, that if it was Maguire that did that, there would be uproar on here.

Screenshot 2021-02-28 at 21.17.24.png

11 minutes ago, nonotnowjim said:

The ball was 2 feet away from his chest! Would need a chest like Popeye's to control that on his chest, not CHO's scrawny little 28A cup size.

Look, there can always be an excuse or a justification (Sterling runs like that, fending off greenwood, natural jumping position, trying to control on chest etc etc etc), but at the end of the day, when a defender in his own box, raises his arm above his head, for whatever reason, it runs the risk of a penalty.

As a Chelsea fan, I am relieved it wasn't given. If that had been a UTD player, I would have been fuming, and i guess many on here would have been incredulous that it wasn't given.

That is never a penalty in my view. If it had been us I would never have expected it, given that I’d have taken it but this should never be a pen in any game.

I just hope this sh*te doesn't continue into next season....if TT can't sort out some of the best young players in Europe we will end up watching the same old dross with yet another 200mill sat on the bench. It's mind boggling that with all this high priced talent we can't score from open play and only seem to scrape out wins against bang average teams.  I can see the games against Liverpool and Everton ending up the same way and that doesn't necessarily hurt us, given as they won't make any ground up, but by God we'll be bored to tears.

I don't think Tuchel has done badly, but I also haven't seen a marked improvement in our play since Lampard left. While we had some bad results in the last month before Lampard's departure we had also been on a tricky run of fixtures. Aside from Arsenal where we were downright awful the other losses towards the end of his time were against teams in very good form (City and Leicester). I still maintain that under Lampard we could have ground out similar results in our fixtures since Tuchel took charge. Beyond that most of the same players are still struggling with form, and that was a big part of the challenge that led to Lampard's demise.

Either way my issue is based on the action taken by the board. If they weren't prepared to give Lampard the rest of the season, then presumably they expected Tuchel to come in and get us top 4. We will wait to see if he manages that although right now I am not confirdent. If we don't get top 4 then couldn't they have waited until the summer and at least given Lampard a chance to show he could turn it around?

3 minutes ago, CFCCAN said:

I just hope this sh*te doesn't continue into next season....if TT can't sort out some of the best young players in Europe we will end up watching the same old dross with yet another 200mill sat on the bench. It's mind boggling that with all this high priced talent we can't score from open play and only seem to scrape out wins against bang average teams.  I can see the games against Liverpool and Everton ending up the same way and that doesn't necessarily hurt us, given as they won't make any ground up, but by God we'll be bored to tears.

Can see both of those beating us. Much better attacks they have compared to United imo.

11 minutes ago, nonotnowjim said:

At head level then - as if that changes anything. A defender raising hand (at all, to to head level or otherwise) when defending in the box is asking for a pen to be given. I stand by it, that if it was Maguire that did that, there would be uproar on here.

The uproar would be from the mentally undeveloped members. The more objective, intellectually gifted members of the forum (like me) would have rightly said it was bollocks and we were lucky to get it. 

Such is life when things are left to an individuals interpretation. 

7 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

I do think our performances have been good. I'm not a spoiled brat that expected us to suddenly challenge for the top 2 spot in a matter of a few weeks either.

We're not in a position to challenge the top spots yet despite the value of our team, and I'm ok with that for the time being since Tuchel didn't really have the time to do much at all.

Thanks for putting that on record.

vs Spurs - 2 shots on target (1 was a pen)

vs Sheffield utd - 4 shots on target (1 was a pen)

vs Southampton - 3 shots on target (1 was a pen)

vs Barnsley  - 1 shot on target

4 games with 10 shots on target combined, 3 of which were pens, Total of 4 goals, 3 of which were pens

Good to know you think this is good enough.

Disappointing. We probably had the best chance. Ziyech should have scored with a shot from inside the box. Giroud struggled and didn't hold up the ball very well. Ziyech got better but was largely ineffective. Pulisic and Werner would have given their defence more of a test. But both started on the bench for some reason. 

Defence was solid again. That's been a definite improvement. Rudiger and Christensen were very good today. Midfield was busy if uninspired. Reece James put in a couple of good crosses when he came on. Mount had a good game and is really the only player who looks capable of opening things up. 

Balance of the team is still not right. We're just not scoring and the games are running out.

1 hour ago, Wearyourcolours said:

Ones away from home, the other isn’t!

I can't see that makes any difference at all in the current circumstances though. An empty stadium is an empty stadium whichever way you look at it. Apart from the teams travel arrangements home and away fixtures mean zilch now there is no crowd input and participation.

I can barely bring myself to watch even recorded 'highlights' anymore, the majority of games have become glorified training sessions to my jaded ears and eyes.

16 minutes ago, Argo said:

I don't think I can recall a manager being so heavily critised while the results have been largely good, not even Benitez

I can't speak for others, but for me, it's not so much Tuchel I have a problem with. This style of football we are currently playing would be so much easier for me to stomach if I could believe that this cycle wouldn't repeat itself again in the not too distant future. 

I have absolutely no reason to believe that it's going to change with Tuchel. He's here right now to steady the ship and get us into the top 4. I don't think we will make top 4 without the other teams around us collapsing to be brutally honest. If we get top 4, expectations will change and he will be expected to close the gap on City, maybe not win the title, but he will be expected to get the team to be a lot more competitive. If we hit a run of poor form that sees us drop outside of the top 4 like we always seem to do these days, then I am certain he will be gone. Then the next manager comes in, does exactly the same thing Tuchel is doing now, putting his trust in players that just didn't cut it by the end of the last managers reign, steadying the ship, the focus shifts from entertaining football to results based football, blah blah blah..........I think you get my point. 

It's this cycle I hate more than anything, it's not so much about the coach in charge.

25 minutes ago, goose said:

That is never a penalty in my view. If it had been us I would never have expected it, given that I’d have taken it but this should never be a pen in any game.

I wouldn't give a penalty simply because their was no advantage from handling it, and so no disadvantage to the attacker.

1 hour ago, Gol15 said:

spoiled brats now want us to win style points, 3 points is not enough it matters how...

I can’t speak for everyone of course, but I want to see entertaining football first and foremost. That’s what it is meant to be to me. Simply wining by any means necessary, no matter how dull is pointless. I don’t need the reflected glory of very rich kids half my age. I need some entertainment, especially in a time when life if absolutely dire. I’d much rather have seen a four all draw than what we were served today.

I think Tuchel has done well FWIW. Considering we were in free fall when Lampard was sacked, he's done well to steady things, stop us leaking goals and we at least are now competitive in games. We're a much more solid unit and our defence has been transformed beyond recognition. We certainly have a base to build on. We still have issues that need sorting. None of which are entirely Tuchel's fault. Giroud and Abraham are limited strikers and Werner's confidence was shot. Tuchel is still trying to work out his best options upfront. I was disappointed he started with Ziyech and Giroud today. It was a strange decision and let their defence off the hook. I'd like to see him try variations of Werner, Pulisic, Havertz, Mount. With Hudson-Odoi on the wing with Alonso/Chilwell. At least it'd be more adventurous and pacy. Would we really lose that much more defensively? It's not as if Giroud and Ziyech are known for tracking back.

17 minutes ago, WeatherMan said:

I can't see that makes any difference at all in the current circumstances though. An empty stadium is an empty stadium whichever way you look at it. Apart from the teams travel arrangements home and away fixtures mean zilch now there is no crowd input and participation.

I can barely bring myself to watch even recorded 'highlights' anymore, the majority of games have become glorified training sessions to my jaded ears and eyes.

Highlights, you’re asking a bit much these days! I’m guessing we’ll have about 7 minutes on MOTD tonight of which 3 minutes will be about the penalty!

Just now, coco said:

I wouldn't give a penalty simply because their was no advantage from handling it, and so no disadvantage to the attacker.

No penalty for me but having seen the ref go to VAR I feared the worst. Mike Dean would have given it NO question, so fair play to the ref!

33 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

I can't speak for others, but for me, it's not so much Tuchel I have a problem with. This style of football we are currently playing would be so much easier for me to stomach if I could believe that this cycle wouldn't repeat itself again in the not too distant future. 

I have absolutely no reason to believe that it's going to change with Tuchel. He's here right now to steady the ship and get us into the top 4. I don't think we will make top 4 without the other teams around us collapsing to be brutally honest. If we get top 4, expectations will change and he will be expected to close the gap on City, maybe not win the title, but he will be expected to get the team to be a lot more competitive. If we hit a run of poor form that sees us drop outside of the top 4 like we always seem to do these days, then I am certain he will be gone. Then the next manager comes in, does exactly the same thing Tuchel is doing now, putting his trust in players that just didn't cut it by the end of the last managers reign, steadying the ship, the focus shifts from entertaining football to results based football, blah blah blah..........I think you get my point. 

It's this cycle I hate more than anything, it's not so much about the coach in charge.

There is no cycle. Jose went into meltdown, Conte did well then fell out with the board but didn’t leave mid season, Sarri did well but left of his own accord. Lampard was out of his depth and under qualified, it was a miracle he was in the job at all.  

2 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

We have become one the most boring Chelsea teams I have ever seen. Sorry, but this is just sh*t to watch. We are basically back to Sarri ball, waiting for those ahead of us to f**k up so we can somehow fluke a top 4 finish. Then when things don't improve next season, the coach gets sacked and we are repeating the cycle all over again. My mood would be drastically different if I could see an outcome different from this, but I just don't see it.

I have no issues with you Scott, but honestly if you read your posts on each match day thread you would think we're in relegation. You slate every bit of play that occurs on the pitch. Even playing it out from the back, which we're very good at, you think we're sh*t. 

I honestly don't know how you cope watching Chelsea games if it's this bad for you. 

7 minutes ago, acidicleo said:

Expected this game would be a dull nil nil affair..

Atleast TT has made us look unbeatable..He has indeed steadied the ship that was sinking..

Top 4 looks like a good possibility now.. And hope football style will get better next season...

We need a clinical finisher...

I don't think we can put our chips on Werner sadly. 

He doesn't fill me with any confidence, not sure if we should just get another striker or give him another season. But we've done this before and it hasn't worked, Torres, Morata, two examples off the top of my head. 

1 hour ago, nonotnowjim said:

I think we were lucky with this Odoi penalty incidence. I think it's a clear penalty. How can a defender handle the ball in the box like that and it's not a penalty. I think he handled it before Greenwood. The only thing Hudson Odoi can say is that Greenwood pushed his hand to the ball.

"I think we were lucky with this Odoi penalty incidence. I think it's a clear penalty. How can a defender handle the ball in the box like that and it's not a penalty. I think he handled it before Greenwood. The only thing Hudson Odoi can say is that Greenwood pushed his hand to the ball."

Simple, because Greenwood's arm lifted his hand up towards the ball.

2 minutes ago, Slojo said:

I don't think we can put our chips on Werner sadly. 

He doesn't fill me with any confidence, not sure if we should just get another striker or give him another season. But we've done this before and it hasn't worked, Torres, Morata, two examples off the top of my head. 

I have Hope's in Werner..He may come good..

I know it isnt easy but wish we got Haaland to partner Werner..

Anyway if 3 at the back is here to stay we have Ziyech, Pulisic, Mount, Werner, Havertz, Giroud, Tammy for 3 attacker slots..

I am counting CHO as RWB..