Jorginho is.... (well now was) a Blue

Zeta
Chelsea Megastore
Chelsea Megastore

Chelsea Megastore

So good both for team morale and his that his coming on made such a difference today. I think it’s better that we don’t have a first eleven as such, as it means more players feel they have a role to play. For Brighton away I like the idea of Jorginho and Kovacic starting in midfield and Kante rested. Saw glimpses today of that understanding between Kova and Jorghy from earlier in the season. 

Having Jorginho on the field isn’t just about getting a good passer in the team, it’s about all the angles he creates for his teammates. When he drops deep, he presents an option for the player with the ball at all times (Pat Nevin called Jorginho our bravest player for doing so). If the player in possession chooses a different player, then Jorginho has created an autostrada through the middle for someone else to receive the ball. If Jorginho receives the ball, he will quickly ping it diagonally to the other CB or to one of the full backs for them to pass it up the field, or, if he has time, turn around and break the lines with a sharp pass. He’s one of the most spatially aware players I have seen.

Jorginho probably has as many weaknesses as he has strengths, but in our team, his strengths far outweigh his weaknesses. With a center back pairing of Zouma and Rudiger (or the other CB’s we can field), Jorginho is an absolute necessity. If we buy the next Terry and Carvalho, maybe you can do without a player like Jorginho, but not now. These are all tangible reasons to play Jorginho, and with his leadership skills it’s a no brainer, as far as I’m concerned.

Kovacic and Kante are far better players individually, but I hope the experiment Frank has done with benching Jorginho is over now. His job is to break up play and get the ball effectively to the last third, and that’s a job he’s doing with flying colors this year.

Edited by opinionsarelike

2 hours ago, dkw said:

Good post, but he brings more than what he does with the ball, he is the voice we lack on the pitch, he's constantly talking to the players, cajoling them, moving them, exhorting effort. He's captain in all but name. 

I get that feeling a lot from him especially because of the way Tammy talked about him in the post match interview. You can tell theres a lot of respect for him on the team.

1 hour ago, Deino said:

And to think some of us wanted Jorginho out of the team

People are too quick to write players off, the only player I've ever written off in a short period of time is Bakayoko, I think you should always give a player at least a season first before you start judging him. Kovacic and Jorginho look like new players this season. 

Edited by Slojo

59 minutes ago, Slojo said:

People are too quick to write players off, the only player I've ever written off in a short period of time is Bakayoko, I think you should always give a player at least a season first before you start judging him. Kovacic and Jorginho look like new players this season. 

We need to be more patient with players new to the league. I admit that I myself am impatient towards new signings too, so it can be difficult to not judge harshly, but we all need to learn to be patient with new players.

This is why I recognise our young players who are new to the league and to this squad need time. Granted, the youngsters are exceeding expectations this season, but there will inevitably be a drop off of form (or maybe not, which would be amazing) and that's where patience is needed.

The same should be applied to Hudson-Odoi too. He has just returned from a bad injury, it will be difficult for him to regain confidence like he had before without a period of consistency. 

On 30/12/2019 at 09:51, opinionsarelike said:

Having Jorginho on the field isn’t just about getting a good passer in the team, it’s about all the angles he creates for his teammates. When he drops deep, he presents an option for the player with the ball at all times (Pat Nevin called Jorginho our bravest player for doing so). If the player in possession chooses a different player, then Jorginho has created an autostrada through the middle for someone else to receive the ball. If Jorginho receives the ball, he will quickly ping it diagonally to the other CB or to one of the full backs for them to pass it up the field, or, if he has time, turn around and break the lines with a sharp pass. He’s one of the most spatially aware players I have seen.

Jorginho probably has as many weaknesses as he has strengths, but in our team, his strengths far outweigh his weaknesses. With a center back pairing of Zouma and Rudiger (or the other CB’s we can field), Jorginho is an absolute necessity. If we buy the next Terry and Carvalho, maybe you can do without a player like Jorginho, but not now. These are all tangible reasons to play Jorginho, and with his leadership skills it’s a no brainer, as far as I’m concerned.

Kovacic and Kante are far better players individually, but I hope the experiment Frank has done with benching Jorginho is over now. His job is to break up play and get the ball effectively to the last third, and that’s a job he’s doing with flying colors this year.

Good post. He still isn't my cup of tea and makes us immensely vulnerable without the ball on the counter, but no doubt he is a leader and made a huge difference against Arsenal.

He was crap today, passing it to zouma and rudiger is so depressing. 

him and Kovacic all of a sudden find themselves out of form since being rotated and Kante’s form is the worst out the three. I can understand lampard wanting to get Kante back in the team who wouldn’t,  but it’s failed spectacularly tbf and is derailing our season. 

Edited by I Am Gay 4 Diegod

4 minutes ago, I Am Gay 4 Diegod said:

He was crap today, passing it to zouma and rudiger is so depressing. 

him and Kovacic all of a sudden find themselves out of form since being rotated and Kante’s form is the worst out the three. I can understand lampard wanting to get Kante back in the team who wouldn’t,  but it’s failed spectacularly tbf and is derailing our season. 

Hardly out of form. Jorginho came on and changed the game at Arsenal, as well as scoring one. For me, Kante has been the most out of form midfielder this season. I can count on one hand the good games he's had. 

Far from his best today but I think he plays an instrumental role in our play, without him we seem to struggle to get going, his organisation and distribution is quality. Not to sound like a broken record but I think he plays much better next to Kovacic than he does Kante, or at least in the 3 man midfield. 

5 minutes ago, Slojo said:

Far from his best today but I think he plays an instrumental role in our play, without him we seem to struggle to get going, his organisation and distribution is quality. Not to sound like a broken record but I think he plays much better next to Kovacic than he does Kante, or at least in the 3 man midfield. 

Yes, it doesn't help that positionally Kante often is very high up the pitch pressing and tackling which leaves Jorginho alone in the middle and he has no choice but to pass to the defense, where as Kovacic stays closer to Jorginho and offers him one more option to pass, not only that but it opens up more space for Jorginho as he will not be double marked as Kovacic will occupy the other marker. Its little things like that that can make a huge difference.

Again though today he was one of the best but he will need better players around him.