I'm really not sure what people expected from Mount. This idea that he's suddenly not good enough to be starting for us is ridiculous

He's scored 7 goals for us in his debut season in the Premier League and 8 goals in total, his awareness and tactical positioning has been very good, he's flexible and has worked his socks off in every game. He's also only 21 and has already showed he can perform in the big games

He's not a creative midfielder and never will be, which is precisely why we signed Ziyech and are looking to bring in Havertz

He's massively important to the way Frank wants to set up 

23 minutes ago, ducavis said:

Fingers crossed the Havertz deal goes through, will be interesting to see how that plays out. You don’t sign an £80m player & stick him on the bench because another player presses a lot. 

The “pressing” argument is very flawed though,  he has started most games and we ended up with our worst defensive record in 23years. 

The pressing argument isn't flawed. Pressing isn't just defensive, it's also an attacking way to tactically play. Winning the ball high up the pitch allows you to have the ball closer to the opposition goal while their defence haven't been able to regroup and organise. It puts the opposition defence under constant pressure 

Pressing is key to the way Frank wants to play and Mount is one of the best in our team at doing it

On 02/08/2020 at 23:48, Sparkz said:

The pressing argument isn't flawed. Pressing isn't just defensive, it's also an attacking way to tactically play. Winning the ball high up the pitch allows you to have the ball closer to the opposition goal while their defence haven't been able to regroup and organise. It puts the opposition defence under constant pressure 

Pressing is key to the way Frank wants to play and Mount is one of the best in our team at doing it

Collective pressing is the key. When Mount does it by himself, it doesn't do us any favours

• 3 weeks later...

Mount is a good talent, and has had a good season. But we can't be starting him for nearly 38 games a season and expecting to be top of the table, we need better quality. Off the ball he's quality, and a great squad player, but on the ball he doesn't do enough. 

However, he's still very young, like I said, a good talent. Plenty of time to improve. 

47 minutes ago, Slojo said:

Mount is a good talent, and has had a good season. But we can't be starting him for nearly 38 games a season and expecting to be top of the table, we need better quality. Off the ball he's quality, and a great squad player, but on the ball he doesn't do enough. 

However, he's still very young, like I said, a good talent. Plenty of time to improve. 

I would say he's arguably one of the best players from last year on a team that finished 4th and still very young.   His was one of the first names I learned besides Pulisic when I started tuning in to Chelsea games.  

11 minutes ago, Valpo said:

I would say he's arguably one of the best players from last year on a team that finished 4th and still very young.   His was one of the first names I learned besides Pulisic when I started tuning in to Chelsea games.  

I think he has aswell, however, I don't think he does enough going forward when he's on the ball, that's why I think we're going in for Havertz. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My vote for MOTM tonight. You can stick him anywhere ("tonight Mason, you are going to be... Steve McManaman!") and he'll put in a shift and do an excellent job.

Tonight we had the benefit of his indefatigable work ethic, plus the fact that we were playing against Barnsley made him look like bloody Zidane from a technical standpoint!

5 minutes ago, PloKoon13 said:

My vote for MOTM tonight. You can stick him anywhere ("tonight Mason, you are going to be... Steve McManaman!") and he'll put in a shift and do an excellent job.

Tonight we had the benefit of his indefatigable work ethic, plus the fact that we were playing against Barnsley made him look like bloody Zidane from a technical standpoint!

Very close betwen Tammy and him for me. It still boggles my mind why some people can't see why he plays every week. You play 50% of a match without the ball and Frank often looks to use our work without the ball to create an advantage. He is a no brainer for me.

Lots of people forgetting that Mazacar was a supreme failure from the team perspective even though it sounded great on paper. Mount isn't the star name but like Willian or Schurrle he's critical to making the team work at it's best.

Mount's biggest strength is, once you omit him from the side you notice his absence. He brings energy to the team, leads the press and allows the more flair players to flourish. He's young and still learning his trade, despite this he is a manager's dream,ask him to do a job he gets on with it with the same enthusiasm he has when playing his more preferred position.

2 hours ago, charierre said:

Mount's biggest strength is, once you omit him from the side you notice his absence. He brings energy to the team, leads the press and allows the more flair players to flourish. He's young and still learning his trade, despite this he is a manager's dream,ask him to do a job he gets on with it with the same enthusiasm he has when playing his more preferred position.

I cant remember which game it was but he came on early in a second half when we were paying poorly and immediately got us on the front foot, changed the entire flow of the game. 

Probably the third best player on the pitch last night behind Abraham and Havertz. 

Not quite sure where the criticism of him has snuck in from but then I suppose it is to be expected when the number of goals scored is the main metric most players are judged on nowadays. 

6 hours ago, dkw said:

I cant remember which game it was but he came on early in a second half when we were paying poorly and immediately got us on the front foot, changed the entire flow of the game. 

On the other hand there were a few games where he’s been rubbish, got hooked early and we’ve improved. That can be put down to his age and experience mind. 

6 hours ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Probably the third best player on the pitch last night behind Abraham and Havertz. 

Not quite sure where the criticism of him has snuck in from but then I suppose it is to be expected when the number of goals scored is the main metric most players are judged on nowadays. 

And we still had some people critisizing his performance. It boggles the mind as someone said.

If some Chelsea fans can't understand why he starts then they aren't watching close enough. Without him today, we don't get 3 goals, I would be suprised if we even got one. Just because he isn't always trying to be flashy, it doesn't mean he isn't one of our key players.

You can't underestimate just how much he dictates the tempo of our attacks. He isn't just running around like a headless chicken, he's forcing things to happen, he's making the opposition work and making it difficult for them. The rest of the team need to look at him as an example of how to approach a game of football. I hate talking up Liverpool, but this is why they do so well. They aren't always flashy, but their players are always playing at the tempo Mount plays at, it's a requirement if you want to be successful in today's game. 

4 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

If some Chelsea fans can't understand why he starts then they aren't watching close enough. Without him today, we don't get 3 goals, I would be suprised if we even got one. Just because he isn't always trying to be flashy, it doesn't mean he isn't one of our key players.

You can't underestimate just how much he dictates the tempo of our attacks. He isn't just running around like a headless chicken, he's forcing things to happen, he's making the opposition work and making it difficult for them. The rest of the team need to look at him as an example of how to approach a game of football. I hate talking up Liverpool, but this is why they do so well. They aren't always flashy, but their players are always playing at the tempo Mount plays at, it's a requirement if you want to be successful in today's game. 

spot on! should be the first name on  the teamsheet. Some others could learn a lot from him.

finding a way to get him and Kai together in the line up is pretty crucial.