Official Thomas Tuchel *Now Sacked*

39 minutes ago, Argo said:

I think the bulk of our problems were down to him and Willy, we basically had two third choice keepers last season and it shown.

The difference Edou has made is more than just his saves. Defenders don't second guess themselves and are more assured (even Thiago was nervous playing with Caballero), he commands his area and attackers don't shoot from what usually would be regarded as unrealistic areas anymore, I saw it especially against Liverpool, they've scored some long rangers against Kepa so I imagine it was muscle memory for them to try their luck against us, a few times they were about too but changed their mind at the very last second when they realized who was in goal.

Last season wasn't all down to Kepa and Willy. We got done on the counter attack time and time again last season. I can think off the top of my head West Ham away, Man Utd away, Liverpool away, Wolves away, Man City at home in the last 2 seasons where we got done on the counter too easily and it cost us. Last season our defenders were abysmal, that isn't all down to Kepa. Rudiger was horrible, so was Zouma, Tomori first season in the premier league yet he kept passing the ball to the opposition strikers. Alonso never been good in a back four, And Azpi doesnt look as good anymore playing as a fullback, back 3 suits him much more. And Christensen has also never been very good for us in a back four.

This season under Lampard we did improve with Mendy in goal and Silva and Chilwell in our defence. But we still looked shaky every time we played someone in the top half of the table. I think its harsh to just blame Kepa and Willy. Rudiger, Kepa, Alonso, Azpi and Emerson were all part of a team that finished 3rd and won the Europa league under Sarri and weren't as bad in defence as we were under Lampard. And we played a back four too.

30 minutes ago, jack_super_class said:

Last season wasn't all down to Kepa and Willy. We got done on the counter attack time and time again last season. I can think off the top of my head West Ham away, Man Utd away, Liverpool away, Wolves away, Man City at home in the last 2 seasons where we got done on the counter too easily and it cost us. Last season our defenders were abysmal, that isn't all down to Kepa. Rudiger was horrible, so was Zouma, Tomori first season in the premier league yet he kept passing the ball to the opposition strikers. Alonso never been good in a back four, And Azpi doesnt look as good anymore playing as a fullback, back 3 suits him much more. And Christensen has also never been very good for us in a back four.

This season under Lampard we did improve with Mendy in goal and Silva and Chilwell in our defence. But we still looked shaky every time we played someone in the top half of the table. I think its harsh to just blame Kepa and Willy. Rudiger, Kepa, Alonso, Azpi and Emerson were all part of a team that finished 3rd and won the Europa league under Sarri and weren't as bad in defence as we were under Lampard. And we played a back four too.

Yeah you are right, pretty much the whole defence was to blame, but Kepa was the most disappointing no doubting that. Thats why Tommy deserves huge credit, almost a miracle that he's done it, but still time for him to f**k up so i'll hold back with the miracle worker tag for now.

1 hour ago, jack_super_class said:

I think that we conceded mostly from set pieces, and then there were some counters when attacking set pieces like the Arsenal goal at the Bridge when Kante slipped. If I remember correctly, we were among the worst teams in number of goals conceded from set pieces. That's why this summer we brought a defensive coach and we've been extremely good defending set pieces and quite dangerous in corners. Last season we also conceded a lot of soft goals from shots outside the box, with Kepa's wrists being one of the most talked about issues in most match threads. This season we conceded some goals before Mendy started, mostly down to individual mistakes like the game against West Brom, and then the team with a back 4 broke the record of clean sheets in 7 years. So I find it amusing that some people are still talking about how sh*t we were defending, when last season's issues were identified and corrected this season, only to start being crap again (collectively, not only in the defence) from mid December onwards.

Having said all that, the job that Tuchel is doing with this team is great so far.

12 hours ago, jack_super_class said:

In total yes, last season and this season. Kepa didn't help sure but i don't think you can blame it all on Kepa.

Yes last season, whenever there was ANY shot at our goal I thought it was a goal. This was me watching on tv, just imagine what was in our defender mind. 

8 hours ago, RMH said:

I think that we conceded mostly from set pieces, and then there were some counters when attacking set pieces like the Arsenal goal at the Bridge when Kante slipped. If I remember correctly, we were among the worst teams in number of goals conceded from set pieces. That's why this summer we brought a defensive coach and we've been extremely good defending set pieces and quite dangerous in corners. Last season we also conceded a lot of soft goals from shots outside the box, with Kepa's wrists being one of the most talked about issues in most match threads. This season we conceded some goals before Mendy started, mostly down to individual mistakes like the game against West Brom, and then the team with a back 4 broke the record of clean sheets in 7 years. So I find it amusing that some people are still talking about how sh*t we were defending, when last season's issues were identified and corrected this season, only to start being crap again (collectively, not only in the defence) from mid December onwards.

Having said all that, the job that Tuchel is doing with this team is great so far.

You can give the credit of improving our set pieces defense to mendy. It is so much easier to defend set pieces when you know your gk will catch crosses 

7 hours ago, Bob stark said:

You can give the credit of improving our set pieces defense to mendy. It is so much easier to defend set pieces when you know your gk will catch crosses 

Mendy has got some credit, true, but this was the case from the beginning of this season when Kepa was still on goal. Last season we were mostly using a zonal defence of corners and it proved to be a disaster. Since Anthony Barry (I think it was him) joined as a defensive coach, we massively improved our defending especially set pieces.

1 hour ago, RMH said:

Mendy has got some credit, true, but this was the case from the beginning of this season when Kepa was still on goal. Last season we were mostly using a zonal defence of corners and it proved to be a disaster. Since Anthony Barry (I think it was him) joined as a defensive coach, we massively improved our defending especially set pieces.

I am not sure that was really the problem. Last season whenever we played zouma and Rudiger, we weren't bad against set pieces. This season with mendy, he solved tons of problem against set pieces. 

Honestly this zonal vs man is imo a bit overblown, personell dictate what you can and cannot do. 

1 minute ago, Spiller86 said:

What did he say?

Question was basically

"if Pulisic continued to struggle for game time and if he came to you at the end of the season telling you he's looking for a new challenge, would you stand in his way?" to which Tuchel basically responded

"I hear a lot of 'if's in that question. If Pulisic starts tomorrow, and starts again against Atletico, and scores 2 goals in both matches and keeps going like that for the rest of the season, maybe he'll be captain of the squad next season... I know what you mean but there's no point asking that question right now."

12 minutes ago, Luiz4Chelsea said:

Question was basically

"if Pulisic continued to struggle for game time and if he came to you at the end of the season telling you he's looking for a new challenge, would you stand in his way?" to which Tuchel basically responded

"I hear a lot of 'if's in that question. If Pulisic starts tomorrow, and starts again against Atletico, and scores 2 goals in both matches and keeps going like that for the rest of the season, maybe he'll be captain of the squad next season... I know what you mean but there's no point asking that question right now."

Was it an American journalist who asked it?

Any time that Pulisic doesn't play every game they throw a tantrum 

44 minutes ago, Liam said:

It is worth pointing out that the comment I made was a sad attempt at smartarsery aimed at cockwomble. I have clearly lost my touch. 

I had no intention at all to impugn Scotty Parker's reputation.

Liam, how dare you?  That convincing, credible cockwomble most definitely isn't a spud, not at all, no way, never, ever, ever.

Never

22 hours ago, Paddy said:

I think you are correct, Emerson is picked in a multiple sub role, mostly lwb or lcb , I assume (and hope!)  it’s a ‘just in case’ selection rather than with any intention of giving him game time, but if the sh*t hit the fan Emerson could cover a midfield role or even stick him upfront in an emergency - I don’t say he would be effective but he offers many more cover permutations than Billy can - I believe that’s why he gets in in front of BG.

That's a fair point - hadn't really considered that. 

(Although there are at least a dozen players I'd consider at CM before Emerson). 

8 minutes ago, Bluesince66 said:

Tuchel has really p*ssed me of today, Ziyech, Pulisic & Havertz up top was a major f**kup.

I don't have a problem with them up top, but I just don't understand both of them playing together on the right side. 

TT's set up is just too defensive, and not really letting the attackers loose.

Purely down to Tommy Tuch today the 'Tinkerman', Werner and Havertz caused so much panic against Everton, i know ill change it all up bring in Pulisic, who looks a bit flat tbh, Ziyech who flatters to deceive, we look better with Kova and James in the side, Rudiger, Andreas and Kante were excellent again though

7 minutes ago, Ballack & Blu said:

Purely down to Tommy Tuch today the 'Tinkerman', Werner and Havertz caused so much panic against Everton, i know ill change it all up bring in Pulisic, who looks a bit flat tbh, Ziyech who flatters to deceive, we look better with Kova and James in the side, Rudiger, Andreas and Kante were excellent again though

I was hoping that Pulisic does well but this clearly wasn't a game for him, specially not to start it. Tuchel made some subs and we looked less dangerous then when Werner was at the top since his first touch is poor.

I’m just coming here to let the man know that there are two things that are imperative if he wants to win over any Chels, BEAT SPUDS AND BEAT TO THE GROUND DIRTY LEEDS!!! He’s done one, not convincingly but good enough, and he’s put a sh*tshow at dirty Leeds, not good enough today to beat that lot and we are going to be annoyed today. He needs to get these things right, any Chelsea would rather beat this lot than think about Atlético, and he’s gone the other way round.