Atletico Madrid v Chelsea (CL) Tues 23rd Feb 2021 20:00 GMT

2 hours ago, Strider6003 said:

Odds of 6-1 for 1-0 to the CFC.

I'd settle for that though we will need some fortune I expect.

Think we got that fortune with Giroud's beauty of a goal!

TT deserves credit for game management today of bringing on the subs after we scored and near the end to close out the match.

We played well today though were also excess nerves at times, AM were missing a number of players yet you play the team in front of you.

Mendy 6 - some poor kicks downfield and a scare early on though a bouncing back pass did not help.

Rudiger 7.5 - generally sound and helped keeping us moving.

Christensen 7 - decent though gave away a needless freekick.

Azpi 6.5 - Suspect defensively a few times yet generally did well.

Alonso 8 - Always available and looking to get forward, rarely lost the ball and won corners and throw ins by battling. Involved in build up to the goal and had the first shot on target which might have taken a dangerous deflection on another day. Also some vital defending too.

Jorginho 7.5 - Always available and looking to thread through a pass. Many not quite precise enough though his short passes kept us in posession. Made a vital challenge taking a yellow to stop a AM break away.

Kovacic 8- Like Jorgy always available and looking to thread through a pass and when we were blocked he dribbled through opening up AM.

Mount - 8 - Most dangerous player, linking up well with CHO and always trying to create something around the edge of the box. Poor effort when found in space by from Alonso's cross yet otherwise played well and was unlucky with the yellow. A big miss for the rematch.

CHO - 7.5 well disciplined today and had good movement and largely negated the threat of Lemar.  Did well to cross on one of the short corners. The only negative was never once went down the outside to throw in a cross. 

Werner 7.5 - great work rate, still a poor touch at times and poor decision making when shooting yet never gave up closing down and chasing.

Giroud 8 - worked well, coming deep when needed and making himself available. Closed down AM too and took his goal expertly.

Ref - poor-  Mount should never have got a yellow and Suarez is a cheating son of bxxch.

The second leg will be equally contested no doubt and without Jorgy or Mount and I think we will get through this leg.

Now lets hope we can take this form to the league too.

Watching that tonight, I'm so glad that we never went near Simeone for a manager appointment ... if we think Sarriball is boring, we'd all be topping ourselves if we had to watch what he served up for Atletico tonight each week.

Fabulous finish from Giroud, but I'm reserving my MOTM plaudits for Mount and Christensen - two academy lads strutting their best stuff ... terrific !

Suarez what a f**king c**t that man is honestly, I absolutely despised him at Liverpool, and this game reminded me why. I'm glad he's gone from our league, horrible little c**t. 

How does he always get away with it? A blatant kick towards Azpilicueta, similar to what got David Beckham a red card at the World Cup knockout stages over 20 years ago and somehow he doesn't get sent off or it. Then again, antagonizes Rudiger, clearly tries to pull him down, once again he gets away with it not even a booking. 

He actually never had 1 red card during his whole career at Liverpool, astonishing. 

Another worthy shout was that c**t Koke, was constantly in the referees ear all night telling him to card every one of our players. Disgusting display, how was he allowed to do that? Spanish clubs are always the same, I hate playing against them for this reason. 

Great result, couldn’t have asked for much more. A couple of better balks round the penalty area and we might have scored more. Good shape throughout. Well reffed also. We will  miss  Jorginho and mount in London.  Teams that do a low block against us will struggle. Tuchel has to get some points for overseeing this. 

We played a good game, deserved to win in the end, but it's a really fine margin going into the second leg. Surprised how negative Atletico played, if they changed shirts I would take that team for one of those in the bottom half of the EPL. Maybe it's Simmone's master plan to only lose narrowly at home, so we could only judge them after the tie is finished. Defensively we were very compact, didn't allow them much of a sniff, few times we got into trouble due to Mendy's poor kicking. Going forward we are getting better, Kovacic is driving the midfield, Mount is showing he could hang with the elite, and front players are making better runs. CHO had a decent game after the weekend's drama, Tuchel was true to his words and picked him again. Still not convinced by playing 2 strikers, Werner plays more like a winger than striker, so why not playing Pullisic to add some creativity and spark in the final third? Really not a fan of sending out Ziyech to close out a game, he just looks lost and not putting in the kind of sh*t you expect when trying to hold on a 1:0

9 minutes ago, Slojo said:

Suarez what a f**king c**t that man is honestly, I absolutely despised him at Liverpool, and this game reminded me why. I'm glad he's gone from our league, horrible little c**t. 

How does he always get away with it? A blatant kick towards Azpilicueta, similar to what got David Beckham a red card at the World Cup knockout stages over 20 years ago and somehow he doesn't get sent off or it. Then again, antagonizes Rudiger, clearly tries to pull him down, once again he gets away with it not even a booking. 

He actually never had 1 red card during his whole career at Liverpool, astonishing. 

Another worthy shout was that c**t Koke, was constantly in the referees ear all night telling him to card every one of our players. Disgusting display, how was he allowed to do that? Spanish clubs are always the same, I hate playing against them for this reason. 

Yes thought he was going to get Azpi booked, he thrust his pelvis into Azpi and claimed a foul, nothing of the kind.

He is an expert, he was simulating a knock to the mouth yet still controlling the ball as he ran, the only good thing about him is to know Barcelona and Real Madrid have to face him at least twice a season.  I also enjoy the thought of  Sergio Ramos and Suarez playing against each other.

46 minutes ago, andy said:

Only negative and a bit perplexing is how we ended up with more yellows than them. 

Not sure but for once we looked a bit street wise which we have sorely lacked in recent years 

Regardless of whether we win the second leg Simone like Mourinho has found out s hithouse tactics will take you so far and then your found out. If he left Athletico he'd get middle management jobs Monaco, Spurs etc but a European powerhouse job never in a million years.

14 minutes ago, bluehaze said:

Regardless of whether we win the second leg Simone like Mourinho has found out s hithouse tactics will take you so far and then your found out. If he left Athletico he'd get middle management jobs Monaco, Spurs etc but a European powerhouse job never in a million years.

I'd take him as our manager in a heartbeat. Reason they are winning La Lisa by 6 points against some pretty good teams.

We won thanks to a Giroud masterpiece but let's not get carried away. Similarly they lost thanks to one mistake. Still a long way to go in the tie.