Mike 93

Willian

If we go with a front 3 of Hazard Willian & Morata I guess the aim is going to be 50 goals in the Premier League between the 3 (I think the average goals scored between the front 3 of City, Liverpool & Spurs is 59), in order to realistically challenge the top 4. Hazard is likely to give you 15-20 goals but I struggle to see Willian & Morata getting 35 between them, in the past we didnt heavily rely on the front 3 to provide us consistent goals as we usually shared that burden across the team.

With Lampard, Terry & possibly Cahill (this season) no longer around to chip in and with a midfield involving Kante, Jorginho & Fabregas who have 10 goals between them in the last 2 years we may struggle for goals from midfield. 

I think something has to give whether its benching/Selling Morata or Willian and bringing in players who will offer a greater goal threat. 

17 hours ago, mad_mac said:

Is everyone 100% sure that Barca even made a bid?  It's a funny thing how some believe everything in the papers when it suits.  I've also seen on twitter someone claim that there was never any interest in Willian from Barca.

A lot of the stories in the media come from questionable sources at best. So many people claim to be in the know but the reality is that most of them are as much in the dark as the rest of us.

1 hour ago, forbzy said:

A lot of the stories in the media come from questionable sources at best. So many people claim to be in the know but the reality is that most of them are as much in the dark as the rest of us.

Exactly, Luke.

It's just bizarre to me that people get so riled up about something that isn't fully substantiated and then use that as a stick to beat the board with, or make disgraceful comments about MG and how she's no use in a "man's" role.  I get excited about rumours, just as much as the next guy, but until i hear something concrete, i'm not going to go bananas about any of it.  Don't be surprised if we get linked with Hulk again ;)

21 minutes ago, mad_mac said:

Exactly, Luke.

It's just bizarre to me that people get so riled up about something that isn't fully substantiated and then use that as a stick to beat the board with, or make disgraceful comments about MG and how she's no use in a "man's" role.  I get excited about rumours, just as much as the next guy, but until i hear something concrete, i'm not going to go bananas about any of it.  Don't be surprised if we get linked with Hulk again ;)

like the story about CFC close to signing Pepe Reina, even though he just inked a new deal w/ AC Milan. A lot of bs has been put out this summer & I will point the finger at the BS English tabloids looking to sell a story

10 minutes ago, mad_mac said:

It's just bizarre to me that people get so riled up about something that isn't fully substantiated and then use that as a stick to beat the board with

I think nearly everyone said Barcelona would be stupid to offer 65M and Chelsea would be stupid to turn down 65M, so what that tells me, 65M was never offered (personally, I would have taken anything over 40M for Willian, but no one knows what was offered, if it even got that far).

I felt Willian's reputation really started to peak in the Mourinho crash of 15/16. He had a nice run of form for about 4 consecutive games, and then road that momentum to the player of the year award.

let's look at that year.

11 Goals for the Club
5 EPL
5 UCL
1 FA Cup

those goals came against:

Maccabi Tel-Aviv 2
Newcastle 2
Porto 2
Southampton
Dynamo Kiev
Crystal Palace
Man City (5-1 Win in FA Cup against their Youth Squad)
Bournemouth

I like Pedro/Willian as one player. Meaning, one starts and the other subs in. I don't think either of them are all that effective over 90 minutes, but when they split time, they make for a dynamic RW. I don't think either of them is content with the sub role, even if that's what makes them both most effective. But in Short, I've been hoping for the last two seasons that we'd be able to sell high on Willian and replace him with some goal production.

2 hours ago, Imran_CFC said:

If we go with a front 3 of Hazard Willian & Morata I guess the aim is going to be 50 goals in the Premier League between the 3 (I think the average goals scored between the front 3 of City, Liverpool & Spurs is 59), in order to realistically challenge the top 4. Hazard is likely to give you 15-20 goals but I struggle to see Willian & Morata getting 35 between them, in the past we didnt heavily rely on the front 3 to provide us consistent goals as we usually shared that burden across the team.

With Lampard, Terry & possibly Cahill (this season) no longer around to chip in and with a midfield involving Kante, Jorginho & Fabregas who have 10 goals between them in the last 2 years we may struggle for goals from midfield. 

I think something has to give whether its benching/Selling Morata or Willian and bringing in players who will offer a greater goal threat. 

We may see more often a midfield of Jorginho, Kante and Barkley, and Barkley looks like he can probably score some.

57 minutes ago, Skinnedy said:

I think nearly everyone said Barcelona would be stupid to offer 65M and Chelsea would be stupid to turn down 65M, so what that tells me, 65M was never offered (personally, I would have taken anything over 40M for Willian, but no one knows what was offered, if it even got that far).

I felt Willian's reputation really started to peak in the Mourinho crash of 15/16. He had a nice run of form for about 4 consecutive games, and then road that momentum to the player of the year award.

let's look at that year.

11 Goals for the Club
5 EPL
5 UCL
1 FA Cup

those goals came against:

Maccabi Tel-Aviv 2
Newcastle 2
Porto 2
Southampton
Dynamo Kiev
Crystal Palace
Man City (5-1 Win in FA Cup against their Youth Squad)
Bournemouth

I like Pedro/Willian as one player. Meaning, one starts and the other subs in. I don't think either of them are all that effective over 90 minutes, but when they split time, they make for a dynamic RW. I don't think either of them is content with the sub role, even if that's what makes them both most effective. But in Short, I've been hoping for the last two seasons that we'd be able to sell high on Willian and replace him with some goal production.

We need somebody with a left foot for that RW, it's simple. Either that or stick with what we have and be less effective. Willian and Pedro are both natural right footed players. It's unfair for people to criticise Willian for not providing enough assists or goals when he's supposed to conjure up magic with his weaker left foot. Willian would be miles more effective given the freedom to cut in on his right foot, but unfortunately he's never going to displace Hazard on that LW. Unless we can utilise Willian in other ways apart from on the RW, he's going to continue to only provide so many goals/assists from his weaker position. It's like Liverpool using Salah on the LW rather than allowing him the freedom to cut in and use his left foot. His goal/assists would also suffer from an unnatural position on the field. 

To be honest, those stats you presented above over the past 3 seasons aren't actually terrible at all, and pretty decent for a player who isn't played in his strongest position. I wonder how much more he would provide on the LW. I would increase those goal & assist numbers by at least 4/5 on both goals and assists. If that was the case, then his stats would be more impressive than they currently are. This is why context is important when talking about stats. 

Edited by enigma

12 hours ago, enigma said:

We need somebody with a left foot for that RW, it's simple. Either that or stick with what we have and be less effective. Willian and Pedro are both natural right footed players. It's unfair for people to criticise Willian for not providing enough assists or goals when he's supposed to conjure up magic with his weaker left foot. Willian would be miles more effective given the freedom to cut in on his right foot, but unfortunately he's never going to displace Hazard on that LW. Unless we can utilise Willian in other ways apart from on the RW, he's going to continue to only provide so many goals/assists from his weaker position. It's like Liverpool using Salah on the LW rather than allowing him the freedom to cut in and use his left foot. His goal/assists would also suffer from an unnatural position on the field. 

To be honest, those stats you presented above over the past 3 seasons aren't actually terrible at all, and pretty decent for a player who isn't played in his strongest position. I wonder how much more he would provide on the LW. I would increase those goal & assist numbers by at least 4/5 on both goals and assists. If that was the case, then his stats would be more impressive than they currently are. This is why context is important when talking about stats. 

Although I could see where your coming from I think your making to big a deal out of wingers cutting in on to there stronger foot. So I've gone out to prove you wrong mate.

after looking for a reconised high level and high scoring winger that plays on the same side as his strong foot.  The best player I could find was... Willian...

So fair point I hail to your wisdom.

Having said that. With the freekicks he takes taken into account too. I still believe he should be hitting a regular 9 a season if he was to be first choice

If the Mancs bid £66m for him we’d be laughing but I just don’t see anyone paying that sort of money for him.

I’m still holding out hope that we can sell Willian to them and bring in Martial but it seems so unlikely, it’s seems to favour us too much.

On 26/07/2018 at 19:48, enigma said:

When you play on your natural side you can try and beat the fullback or whip in crosses, I know what your saying but that's a bit of a lame excuse. Hazard can go either way past players.

Edited by Ernie_blue

When is our WC players coming back? Looks like everything is depend on Sarri ( and club people) talking to players before decide what to do in the transfer market. In the worst case, we'd let Courtois seeing out his contract, keep Willian, and sign some nobody on the last day and call it a good transfer window. If the Real offer is legit, take the money and get the Gk and Pullisc or Bailey in, or both. We won't be ready for the Community Shield on Saturday, in fact we'd do well to be ready for the league opener. Just get the deals done and give Sarri as much time as possible to get ready for the new season.

19 minutes ago, icecoolguy22 said:

When is our WC players coming back? Looks like everything is depend on Sarri ( and club people) talking to players before decide what to do in the transfer market. In the worst case, we'd let Courtois seeing out his contract, keep Willian, and sign some nobody on the last day and call it a good transfer window. If the Real offer is legit, take the money and get the Gk and Pullisc or Bailey in, or both. We won't be ready for the Community Shield on Saturday, in fact we'd do well to be ready for the league opener. Just get the deals done and give Sarri as much time as possible to get ready for the new season.

This week apparently. RLC is back already this morning, instagram posts of him at Cobham. Michy is in London but not sure if he went to training. 

32 minutes ago, zes said:

This week apparently. RLC is back already this morning, instagram posts of him at Cobham. Michy is in London but not sure if he went to training. 

Is Bats not on loan at Dortmund for another season?