Jorginho is.... (well now was) a Blue

Zeta
Chelsea Megastore
Chelsea Megastore

Chelsea Megastore

2 hours ago, mwblue10 said:

All I remember Robson saying was "What does Jorginho do?  What does he do?  I don't know what he does."  You'd swear he has never watched a game before.

yeah & he looked like a straight mug (to borrow a British term) when describing how Jorginho worked the gooners in the UEL Final :mocking:

2 hours ago, mwblue10 said:

All I remember Robson saying was "What does Jorginho do?  What does he do?  I don't know what he does."  You'd swear he has never watched a game before.

Jorginho's role is quite defined I believe that was in reference to kova as he doesn’t really attack or defend 

• 2 weeks later...

First season in the Premier League:

Appearances 37 Goals 2 Wins 21 Losses 7

Attacking stats:

Goals 2

Goals per match 0.05

Headed goals 0

Goals with right foot 2

Goals with left foot 0

Penalties scored 1

Freekicks scored 0

Shots 19

Shots on target 7

Shooting accuracy 37%

Hit woodwork 0

Big chances missed 0

Passing:

Assists 0

Passes 3,118

Passes per match 84.27

Big chances created 6

Crosses 2

Cross accuracy 50%

Through balls 34

Accurate long balls 92

Defence:

Tackles 76

Tackle success 50%

Blocked shots 5

Interceptions 63

Clearances 35

Headed Clearance 21

Recoveries 274

Duels won 125

Duels lost 147

Successful 50/50s 15

Aerial battles won 13

Aerial battles lost 21

Errors leading to goal 0

Edited by Gol15

I think he was one of our best players during the last third of the season, defensively his positioning was immense I can remember him making a number of crucial interceptions in our box and more importantly I think he released the ball far quicker once received in tight spaces allowing us to break the opposition's press.

I think he will be one of the first name's on the team sheet this season because not only is he a decent player but also a leader, he isnt one to shy away from receiving the ball when the going gets tough and in addition has an incredible footballing IQ and most managers would love to have someone like that on the pitch. I understand he needs to improve certain aspects of his game but I am not overly concerned about the assist stats as I think he is someone who will improve year on year as he has shown with his first season with us. 

54 minutes ago, Imran_CFC said:

I think he was one of our best players during the last third of the season, defensively his positioning was immense I can remember him making a number of crucial interceptions in our box and more importantly I think he released the ball far quicker once received in tight spaces allowing us to break the opposition's press.

I think he will be one of the first name's on the team sheet this season because not only is he a decent player but also a leader, he isnt one to shy away from receiving the ball when the going gets tough and in addition has an incredible footballing IQ and most managers would love to have someone like that on the pitch. I understand he needs to improve certain aspects of his game but I am not overly concerned about the assist stats as I think he is someone who will improve year on year as he has shown with his first season with us. 

I was impressed by him showing a lot of mental strength to come thru some booing and an awful period of form where he looked dead on his feet unable to little more than pass the ball sideways and backwards. I went from wanting him out, to really warming to him. 

Looking at those clips, I count 19 genuine goalscoring opportunities. That excludes 6 where the striker was offside and 4 passes which were overhit...

Now I'm not saying they should have all been converted, but it's unbelievable that none of them were, Now he has settled to the Premier League, I think (and hope) he will have a much larger impact in the final third this season.

• 2 weeks later...

After that performance, I actually don't know who I would pick out of him and Kovacic to start next to Kante. They were both really good tonight, Kovacic was easily playing his way around Liverpool at times and you had Jorginho playing the passes, it's a tough one. I actually think he already looks better under Lampard than he did under Sarri. Under Sarri, he was just the player that kept things ticking, but Lampard has got him moving around the pitch more and hitting passes longer and wider.

I guess it could be argued that you could play them together with Kante, but it's hard to shake off how often that didn't work last season for us. It would also mean Barkley, Mount and Loftus-Cheek would struggle to find games between them.

Jorginho has looked excellent already and looks better than last season to me. Easy pick over Kovacic, he looks like a top player who controls the game, Kovacic has done better than last season but that wasnt hard and I dont want him to take minutes away from RLC or Mount and they offer much more going forward.

Looks like he has a lot more free license to create things in attack. Seems to be hitting a lot more longer passes and is attempting through balls and balls over the top more frequently. 

Did really well with the penalties last night too, was good to see him show that level of self confidence. 

What i like about him so far is his willingness to be involved in everything and not go hiding. He took a pasting last season, probably got more boo's than any home player i remember. But he's come out fighting and taken the bull by the horns. I can see him being captain if Dave isn't on the pitch.

As others have stated, I’ve actually really warmed to him at the tail end of last season and the start of this. I still stand by the fact he wasn’t bringing enough to the table in the first half of last season, the fact he was deemed Sarri’s orchestrator probably added extra burden to him which he doesn’t have this season. He looks much better this season I feel he has more freedom and he’s not being left as isolated with Kovacic playing a bit closer to him, too many times last year he was left completely isolated in front of the defence and teams could go past him without ease. I hope he continues in this form, our best midfield three for me is:

Jorginho - Kante - Mount (until RLC is fit)

Guest Sindre

Thought he did really well. He clearly have a lot more freedom and it really suits him.

Also very much helped by the fact that he always had Kante or Kovacic beside him to help defensively. It was either Kante or Kovacic who went ahead to press and then the other tucked in beside Jorginho to help cover defensively. Which was a good move by Lampard.

Edited by Sindre

6 hours ago, EdinburghBlue said:

As others have stated, I’ve actually really warmed to him at the tail end of last season and the start of this. I still stand by the fact he wasn’t bringing enough to the table in the first half of last season, the fact he was deemed Sarri’s orchestrator probably added extra burden to him which he doesn’t have this season. He looks much better this season I feel he has more freedom and he’s not being left as isolated with Kovacic playing a bit closer to him, too many times last year he was left completely isolated in front of the defence and teams could go past him without ease. I hope he continues in this form, our best midfield three for me is:

Jorginho - Kante - Mount (until RLC is fit)

Couldn't agree more EB. He was average to poor for much of the last campaign but he definitely got better at the back end of the season. Part of that was surely adapting to the faster pace of the EPL.

Personally, I would still like him to be more athletic, more physical, to really dominate an EPL midfield and I feel when CHO and RLC are back and fully fit he probably won't be a nailed on starter as he was last year, regardless of how he played.

What I am really, really impressed with though is his attitude and determination. He could have taken the easy option and buggered off back to Italy with Sarri. But he has chosen to stay and he looks like he has totally brought in to the "Lampard project". His passion and determination last night really shone out, especially when he took the penalties. I hope he kicks on again and has a fantastic season. 

Like Imran, I see him as a nailed on starter, without Luiz and Hazard we would lack creativity so by playing Jorginho further forward he keeps the momentum going and threads through passes to the front men.

Although not quick it seems by having Mount and Pulisic we have more speed in the left wing area than last season so it compensates.

Great composure and skill for the penalties too.