ForeverCarefree

Wilfred Zaha

16 hours ago, Luca Vialli said:

He hasn't got a football brain. Would be gutted if we signed him.

Wouldn't really say that this season he was very creative from the wing. Put some good crosses, smart dribbles. Sometimes he makes the wrong decision, who isn't?

22 hours ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Not necessarily against this signing but curious how he'd fit into the team. 

He's predominantly played down the left for Palace, so would there be an intention to move Hazard infield? If the idea was play him down the right, will he be as effective? 

Rumours are he would cost upwards of £60m so you've got to assume he'd be coming in to be first choice and you can only assume he'd be a replacement for Willian who could be off to United, though this wouldn't bode well for any potential swap deal involving Martial (unless we're bringing him in to be centre forward?)

Do you remember back in 2012 (Impressed I remembered the year, my memory is normally pretty bad) when we had Moses as our winger and he just kept on doing stepovers, dribbling into people/out of bounds over and over again, couldn't pass to save his life, etc? This is what these Zaha rumours have reminded me of because that's pretty close to what we're going to get if we sign him. 

Also £60m? Are you having a laugh? I thought it would be around £20m-£30m which itself is already bad enough. No thanks, I would rather promote from within than witness us waste yet another large sum of money on an average player. I'm still having Drinkwater nightmares. 

1 hour ago, Remodez said:

Do you remember back in 2012 (Impressed I remembered the year, my memory is normally pretty bad) when we had Moses as our winger and he just kept on doing stepovers, dribbling into people/out of bounds over and over again, couldn't pass to save his life, etc? This is what these Zaha rumours have reminded me of because that's pretty close to what we're going to get if we sign him. 

Also £60m? Are you having a laugh? I thought it would be around £20m-£30m which itself is already bad enough. No thanks, I would rather promote from within than witness us waste yet another large sum of money on an average player. I'm still having Drinkwater nightmares. 

The (rumoured) fee is what baffles me most. If you’re going to drop £40m+ on any player you’d want them to be improvement on the starting XI.

For £60m you’d be expecting someone either with proven pedigree or a young, upcoming player with bags of potential.

9 in 29 last season is pretty good, and in a team that is nowhere the team we are, i think his game only improves  if he joins us.

Edited by Ballack & Blu

He's a much better player than he was few years ago at United, could say the same thing about the Salah now and the one with us. Of course he's not worth 60M, but that's the money we need to pay to get any good player. Is he a dream signing? Far from it.  Is he going to make us a better team? I think so, the goals, assists and the directness in attack, He could play on the right, or as a second striker.

Hopefully we can ship Bakayoko and Drinkwater out if we bring someone new in.
Or just ship them out anyway.
Bakayoko especially.
I'll drive him if need be.
As long as he's not doing the directions, I don't want to end up the wrong side of the country.
Thierry Henry looked pretty rubbish a Juventus until a different coach poached him and helped him realise his tallent by playing him in the right way. Bakayoko had one lousy season under Conte, how do you know that he won't respond better to Sarri and look like the player Jardim had everybody purring over at Monaco?

Everybody laughted when we signed Lampard from West Ham, how was that 22 year old going too strengthen our team? I believe he did okay once he was given a chance.

Everybody expects instant results but that's not how it works for the vast majority of players.

Give the guy a break.

Just now, TheFunkeyGibbon said:

Thierry Henry looked pretty rubbish a Juventus until a different coach poached him and helped him realise his tallent by playing him in the right way. Bakayoko had one lousy season under Conte, how do you know that he won't respond better to Sarri and look like the player Jardim had everybody purring over at Monaco?

Everybody laughted when we signed Lampard from West Ham, how was that 22 year old going too strengthen our team? I believe he did okay once he was given a chance.

Everybody expects instant results but that's not how it works for the vast majority of players.

Give the guy a break.

I guarantee you none of those players looked as clueless and utterly inept at the basics of football as Bakayoko does.

He's had more than his fair share of chances, which plenty of other players didn't get.

2 hours ago, axman2526 said:

Sarri has indicated all he has asked for is a new midfield player. So maybe all this zaha talk is just to get spurs to up their own interest in him.

The exact quote was “I talk with the club about the market but only one or maybe two times, not more. I spoke about positions and characteristics but no names. So, I don’t know. I think we need something, but maybe only a player. We have very good midfielders, but maybe a midfielder with different characteristics [would be a good fit].”

Those different characteristics can be interpreted in many ways, but, on the assumption that Kante and Jorginho are permanent fixtures and Hazard is the only player in a similar situation up front, my guess is that he's after another option on the right of the front three. No surprise there then, bearing in mind the rumours surrounding Willian leaving, but if he stays a 'different characteristic' to his might well be that the player concerned has the versatility to play in the central role as well as compete for that right-sided berth. To my mind, that rules out Zaha, who by [almost] common consent is another who is more comfortable on the left, along with Hazard and Hudson-Odoi. If this speculation is correct [it wont be] the best available option is undoubtedly Martial, as he ticks all the boxes, whether Willian goes the other way or not.

Alternatively, the only black cloud on my horizon and one that I hardly want to mention but will, is that Sarri remains unconvinced over RLC, believing him to be too much like Barkley and Bakayoko and in need of yet another loan spell. Hodgson would love to have him back at Palace and his only bargaining chip is a certain Wilf Zaha, who definitely has 'different characteristics' to both Rueben, Ross and Baka, mores the pity. Perish the thought Sarri doesn't give RLC a fair crack of the whip, though stranger things have happened to the lad under our last two managers, but other Academy green shoots are there to be seen in Ampadu and CHO and Rueben has reportedly laid down the law regarding game time recently, so it isn't as if this scenario wont have been considered by the hierarchy.

I was pretty certain we were done for incomings, besides a potential Courtois replacement but it seems like a midfielder might also be coming given Sarri's comments.

And you know what..... I would place my bets on it being Aaron Ramsey, I'd actually take him.  Vecino possibly too, but personally id prefer the former

Zaha was absolute nonsense that story, quite clearly

Edited by RickUK

2 hours ago, TheFunkeyGibbon said:

Give the guy a break.

Not everybody. Did anybody even watch Bakayoko much that season or were they just assuming he was good because Monaco stopped PSG in the French league, had a good run in the Champions League and he dyed his hair as often as Pogba? Every time i seen him, he was the weak link in that team. Monaco must have been thrilled when we offered them as much money as we did.

Edited by Scott Harris

2 hours ago, TheFunkeyGibbon said:

Give the guy a break.

Because Sarri plays a type of football thats going to enhance ALL of his weaknesses. Strong positional awereness, the ability to play quick and precise passes, the ability to receive and play the ball on in the same movement are some of the key aspects Sarri is looking for. Does this sound like something Bakayoko is capable of? I mean Bakayoko makes Zouma look like Beckenbauer on the ball

2 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

Not everybody. Did anybody even watch Bakayoko much that season or were they just assuming he was good because Monaco stopped PSG in the French league, had a good run in the Champions League and he dyed his hair as often as Pogba? Every time i seen him, he was the weak link in that team. Monaco must have been thrilled when we offered them as much money as we did.

I did and. Thought he was too slow and I said so on this forum and didn’t want him. Then when he came I was immpressed and still am with his ability to drive forward. But it’s not enough. 

‘’We must have another goal scorer in the team. Pedro, Willian, fabregas, Kante, Berkeley have poorgoal scoring records. Some like Pedro and fab are getting to the phase where their goal scoring will fall off from it’s a;ready dismal rate. 

‘Defense is important of course but the beat teams carry a variety of goal threats. We don’t. 

2 minutes ago, doctorblue said:

£75m they can f**k off...

Can’t blame them for demanding that, 4 days till the window closes and they need to find a replacement. We are the crazy ones for leaving it this late, and getting fixated on buying in the PL where there is little or no value. 

The irony is we inserted a buyback clause when we sold Bertrand Traore’s who has a better output & CL experience, but you just know it is too simple for our board.

4 hours ago, doctorblue said:

£75m they can f**k off...

These days for a player like Zaha that money is not much. We wanted to sell a 30 year old Willian for that same money.

6 hours ago, Gol15 said:

These days for a player like Zaha that money is not much. We wanted to sell a 30 year old Willian for that same money.

Willian has won a lot of trophies and represents his country...whereas Zaha has f**k all...

46 minutes ago, doctorblue said:

Willian has won a lot of trophies and represents his country...whereas Zaha has f**k all...

Zaha plays for Ivory Coast.

And the trophies Willian has won aren't down to him so what's that got to do with anything?

1 hour ago, doctorblue said:

That's why I would like to have a player that is obviously ready for a bigger team and that wants to prove himself, like Zaha.

Because winning something in the past like Pedro has done doesn't mean he is actually that good for us, Willian is inconsistant, it matter very little his merits or silverware that's not what you would be buying if you buy him.