Super Frank Lampard

ForeverCarefree

Sack or Back ???  

114 members have voted

1. 1. Sack or Back Frank ?

• Sack now.
    • Back until the end of the season, unless relegation dooms, then evaluate.

14 minutes ago, dansubrosa said:

If OGS can do what United have done so far this season, you don't think Frank can do similar or even better if given time? He's had to integrate a lot of academy players into the team last year and achieved 4th, same points as United. This season, he's had to integrate 6 signings into the team which is blighted by covid and injuries, plus the big signings being a let down.

I wonder how Frank would have done with a settled team? Like what OGS have now?  

I think OGS got incredibly lucky with the covid break. He looked set for the sack and then suddenly signed Fernandes in january who has transformed the team. I dont know what sort of charm OGS uses but he's a lucky guy that whenever he looks set to be fired his team string together some results for him to stay in the job.

1 minute ago, forbzy said:

I am confident that Robbie would have done at least as well as Benitez did the rest of that season. Managers don't get the chance to show they can overcome adversity at Chelsea and that is part of the problem. Yes we might bounce back in the short term but I no longer know what the long term strategy is. A new manager will reshape the team and basically start again taking us in a whole new direction. That is fine but when you repeat every 2 years you eventually get to where we are now. A squad that is bloated with failed signings bought for previous managers, and blocking the way for talented youth players. 

I doubt that, Di Matteo was way out of his league - but that honeymoon period was something sensational.

I do agree that managers rarely get a chance here to overcome adversity, and i really thought that was starting to change with Sarri when he turned it around at the end of his season, and Lampard as well.

The issue is that we are just too big of a club, to really have any long periods where we are building back up and not winning anything. That time was literally last season, and Lampard did good but with the investment he had to be performing like this is unacceptable really.

If he still in top 4 and he still got sacked, then thats disgraceful, but the fact we haven't even beaten a top 6 side, and got I think 1 point from 10+ games against teams that we're supposed to be competing with? Thats awful whichever way you put it, especially when you look at the league this year and every top team is playing quite poorly.

I think the squad atm is actually very good, a mix between some top signings and some quality youth players, the potential is definitely there.

2 minutes ago, TF141 said:

One more thing, I really dont understand the people who are hating on Roman?

He is literally the reason we are the club we are today, and has done FAR more for this club than any other manager or player ever has. He deserves respect.

Exactly, A joke club, shame you were'nt around 40 years ago when we were a real club, with proper supporters, not Glory supporters

One thing I have noticed that we have done I would imagine more times than any other club is having ex players being managers or assistants I've probably missed some out but here goes Docherty, McCreadie, Shellito, Hollins, Webb (caretaker), Hoddle( came as player/coach), Gullit, Vialli, De Matteo, Lampard, assistants Wilkins, Zola, Clarke, Morris, Newton.

I love Frank & what the club means to him. He is one of us. But undoubtedly this is the right decision. The sad fact is, under the circumstances, nobody was better placed than Frank to guide us to 4th last season, but by the same token, I don’t believe he was the right person to win us titles. He doesn’t have the tactical nous or fear factor that a top manager brings. Tuchel will also have his limitations, but he is the best available right now, and I’d be more wary of facing a Tuchel team than a Lampard one. 

I'm a bit surprised that it's happened now since I thought he'd be given until the end of the season at least. Measuring Frank's performance against previous incumbents, particularly in these difficult times and the restrictions and lack of time on the time training pitch, is grossly unfair IMHO. Should have maybe considered beefing up the coaching staff before getting rid....

That said watching the boys recently has been a tough ask.

Wishing Frank all the best in future endeavours and hope to see him back at some point.

5 minutes ago, Nick05 said:

I think OGS got incredibly lucky with the covid break. He looked set for the sack and then suddenly signed Fernandes in january who has transformed the team. I dont know what sort of charm OGS uses but he's a lucky guy that whenever he looks set to be fired his team string together some results for him to stay in the job.

Probably prays to all those Norse pagan gods .... 🙂

This news hurts, feeling awful right now. They needed to give him some time, you can't start a generation of bringing in youth and then complain about results like that. You get one or the other.

I'm going to take a break from Chelsea football for a bit. It was such a happy day for me when Lamps was brought back, even if I thought it was a bit premature. This feels worse for me than when he joined City though the MLS (and I was really angry then).

We overachieved last year, people expected more because of the summer acquisitions but it takes time to get them properly acclimated. We had no preseason, we need to give him the rest of the year and a proper summer. 

Even if you believe lamps should have been let go, it's a terrible decision the by board to do it now. 

5 minutes ago, Osgoodwasgood said:

Exactly, A joke club, shame you were'nt around 40 years ago when we were a real club, with proper supporters, not Glory supporters

A joke club? We're practically in the footballing elite sitting just a tier below the likes of Liverpool, Utd, Milan etc (who are probably a level below the likes of Barca, Madrid and Bayern)

We've won countless titles and the champions league? Would you rather us have been mid table dross just for the sake of yer das fans?

13 minutes ago, forbzy said:

I am confident that Robbie would have done at least as well as Benitez did the rest of that season. Managers don't get the chance to show they can overcome adversity at Chelsea and that is part of the problem. Yes we might bounce back in the short term but I no longer know what the long term strategy is. A new manager will reshape the team and basically start again taking us in a whole new direction. That is fine but when you repeat every 2 years you eventually get to where we are now. A squad that is bloated with failed signings bought for previous managers, and blocking the way for talented youth players. 

Spot on.

9 minutes ago, Elliott said:

I love Frank & what the club means to him. He is one of us. But undoubtedly this is the right decision. The sad fact is, under the circumstances, nobody was better placed than Frank to guide us to 4th last season, but by the same token, I don’t believe he was the right person to win us titles. He doesn’t have the tactical nous or fear factor that a top manager brings. Tuchel will also have his limitations, but he is the best available right now, and I’d be more wary of facing a Tuchel team than a Lampard one. 

Exactly like Di Matteo, the right man to step in and steady the ship after a sh*tstorm, but not the right man to take us to the next level. 

11 minutes ago, Osgoodwasgood said:

football's more of a business than sport now im afraid. if it wasnt already apparent from all the TV deals with Sky and BT. the club mainly cares about winning and we're not alone in that regard.

He knew he was sacked before the Luton game, so thats why he snapped at the questions in the press conference makes sense now.

The theathletic.com article is quiet eye opening

"

• “The problem was, the manager didn’t talk to the players — well only the ones he liked"

• One senior player told The Athletic that Lampard staying on for the rest of the season would have been a ‘catastrophe’, with the levels of tension in the dressing room to high to recover from and players comparing his criticism of performances to Jose Mourinho in his final days at the club.

• By the Fulham game in early January, players were expecting Lampard to be sacked if they didn’t win"

Am i reading this correctly, the players got him sacked? Ironic if it is.

Edited by Brutos

2 minutes ago, Brutos said:

He knew he was sacked before the Luton game, so thats why he snapped at the questions in the press conference makes sense now.

"

• “The problem was, the manager didn’t talk to the players — well only the ones he liked"

• One senior player told The Athletic that Lampard staying on for the rest of the season would have been a ‘catastrophe’, with the levels of tension in the dressing room to high to recover from and players comparing his criticism of performances to Jose Mourinho in his final days at the club.

• By the Fulham game in early January, players were expecting Lampard to be sacked if they didn’t win"

If you believe parts of the Athletic article you should believe it all.

3 minutes ago, Brutos said:

"

See this is why I don't like how reactionary people are after sackings or big events. Ideally you wait for the full story to come out and assess the situation. The board probably had other reasons than league position for sacking him. But we have armchair philosophers who make assumptions 

Should clarify i dont know how true this article is though

Edited by Valhalla

I'll admit that I have criticised the football and the management capabilities of the entire backroom team this season. I am certainly no plastic fan, 55 years old and been a fan since League Cup final day 1972 (Fking lost that day as well!!). I am disappointed in Frank not being successful here but i am not surprised. I will support whoever comes in for the next couple of years until they are sacked as well.

For me the issue is not the manager, its not the players, its not the board. For me its the whole ethos around modern day football. The truth is, its all sh!t. There is no pass and run football because nobody wants to run. We come up with ridiculous formations because blokes stand 25 feet apart instead of 40. There is no pattern, no style, no DNA. Our team is exactly the same as every other team playing the same sh!t boring possession based football that has no tempo and no enterprise. 85% possession and 1 shot on target, woop-de-fking-do.

Happy to be a dinosaur here. i hate possession football. It's sh*t and boring unless the opposition is woeful. In a competitive league pacy counter attacking football is far more entertaining to watch.

I don't want it to be about the manager, or the board, or the next bloke up. Because the whole fri88ing game that I love has gradually turned to the dullest beige due to this poxy generation.

Next manager. Bobby Robson of the 80's Ipswich. Anybody that has a blueprint of stylish entertaining and attractive football. Hell i don't even care that much about the winning, i just want to be able to stomach a full 90 minutes of football instead of the sterile rubbish every team seems to be serving up to us lately. Oh and don't get me started on how every pass, every assist is brilliant, fantastic, outstanding.

The pitches are better, the players are more athletic and fitter. There is more media attention and more money being pumped into the product. So why is it so bl00dy boring to watch. Take the fans out of a stadium and it suddenly becomes apparent how rubbish this "style" is. Yes, i'm a dinosaur and the dinosaurs all died out in the end. Mind you the thing about us old dinosaurs, at least every one knew we were fking here in the first place. 

I am disappointed Frank because you were a great footballer and a club legend. But in reality i am just a spectator and a fan of the club for the majority of my life and for a long time time you, along with a number of your predecessors have rarely entertained me. I hope the next bloke does, but i am not holding my breath.

52 minutes ago, Sexyfootball said:

Well there is £202M worth out on loan just for starters ....

It's a joke. People tell me that we have such great business people at the club, but look at the waste of money they've spent. Is that really good business? Haha

Some weird aspects to this whole situation.

• First time in his reign as owner that Abramovich felt the need to comment on the decision to sack a manager/coach.
  • The coach has been sacked off the back of a victory the day before.
  • Tuchel will be our first permanent mid-season managerial appointment since Claudio Ranieri, which is a first in Abramovich era. Though, Avram Grant and Roberto Di Matteo were given a permanent role after good performances as caretaker managers.

27 minutes ago, forbzy said:

Perfectly put, I fully agree with this. We will now end up with a bloated squad of players we cant get rid off as the next manager brings in his players, and in 2 years time we will just repeat the cycle once more with no route for the young players to break through as the manager needs to keep highly paid international players happy. Lampard was our chance of breaking that cycle and instead of having some patience and belief the trigger has been pulled and we just carry on the same. 

10 minutes ago, dansubrosa said:

Still not good enough. Abramovich felt the need because deep down, he knew the sacking was harsh and unjustified.

I agree that his sacking was harsh but not unjustified. We havent beaten a top 10 team in the league this season besides Westham , which is laughable if you actually think Westham is a top 10 team. Lampard did a great job last season and was rewarded with Roman splashing the cash. Unfortunately lampards Chelsea has lacked an identity and style this season . All we do is cross and hope and lampard didnt show that he had any tactical tweaks to change the direction of our results.

• coco changed the title to *Officially sacked* but still Super Frank Lampard
  • coco changed the title to Super Frank Lampard
  • coco unpinned this topic