Romelu Lukaku back to Chelsea - and gone again!

8 minutes ago, DarkMata said:

Curious what happened when we resigned Matic?

I think he was signed at a winter transfer window just like Ivanovic, if I remember correctly that pattern now 🥶

Romano saying lukaku flying to London. He isn’t always right but he’s the first and only tweet I regularly check. 

only 3 out of lukaku Werner, mount and havertz can play unless we move  to 4 3 3. You would like to ply all 4. We lose a lot of our pacy fast break style with out Werner and neither mount or havertz are natural fast wide players. On the other hand mounts assists and havertz overall ability are pretty much essential. 

I am guessing each of them will miss out some of the time and that will keep  competition for starting place high 

I like the wing back system and we have the personnel  to play it. In short Tuchel has some good problems to solve. 

Edited by ozboy

29 minutes ago, comtrend said:

He was over 100 kg when he was at United, since then he has dropped down to 93 kg with a new diet. I believe we will see a new and improved Lukaku since last time he was in the PL.

I remember mentioning it often at the time, he was so big that he could barely turn, looked shattered before the first half would end and was dripping with sweat. There were a few at United that I thought looked overweight, Shaw was one of them. Lukaku put his issues down to a digestive problem, I just thought they were putting United players on body building diets.

If this is how to striker search ends, pretty happy with it. He will get those goals we badly missed last season, even it's a merely 15 it will  move us up the table. He wants to be back and prove a point, I doubt we could say the same about Haaland. We probably over paid for him given the market value and economy, but that's how you get a proven striker and the benefit of having a billionaire owner that actually cares. Tammy will probably move on, but doubt Werner will, so we don't lose much from the core of the CL winning team.

100m for someone who will be 29 soon, very little resale value and has done pretty poorly at most the clubs hes been at (barring last season with inter) 

Why on earth did we not pay a bit more to get Haaland who is only 20, not even hit his prime yet and even if he stays for 5 years we can resell and get all the money back + likely even more??? Has a much higher ceiling as well. Instead we are signing someone who's probably past his best and when he was last in the prem he was a laughing stock.

We are pretty awful when it comes to incoming transfer dealings. In the past 5 years, could probably count on 1 hand the amount of quality signings we've made

5 minutes ago, junkymunky said:

100m for someone who will be 29 soon, very little resale value and has done pretty poorly at most the clubs hes been at (barring last season with inter) 

Why on earth did we not pay a bit more to get Haaland who is only 20, not even hit his prime yet and even if he stays for 5 years we can resell and get all the money back + likely even more??? Has a much higher ceiling as well. Instead we are signing someone who's probably past his best and when he was last in the prem he was a laughing stock.

We are pretty awful when it comes to incoming transfer dealings. In the past 5 years, could probably count on 1 hand the amount of quality signings we've made

He's in the top 5 striker in world football. 

Haaland would cost double in fee and wages which we can't afford. Pretty simple really 

1 minute ago, Chelsbear said:

He's in the top 5 striker in world football. 

Haaland would cost double in fee and wages which we can't afford. Pretty simple really 

Haaland wouldnt cost anywhere near double. Lukaku cost 100m, Haaland would have been about 140m whilst being on similar wage

Also top 5 striker in world football atm doesnt even mean much when in this current era there is a severe lack of top quality forwards. Not to mention that Haaland is also in that top 5 anyway, and better than Lukaku imo, with much greater upside

2 hours ago, Strider6003 said:

I think technically Barkley is better than Mount, yet Barkley cannot close down or break with the speed that Mount can. 

I would not be surprised to see us go with:

Werner Lukaku

Kova  Mount  Kante

Chilwell                      Kaunde

Rudiger Silva Christensen

Mendy

Id be surprised to see that tbh. Kounde is unlikely to play right wing back. He has played right occasionally for Sevilla, but he isnt a better option there than James, or CHO. I actually think he will be eased in over the season and rotated at right centre back.

Jorginho will definitely start more often than not,as he sits better than the ither 2.

Werner is going to be the main casualty i suspect, because Lukaku offers a lot of what Werner brought last season, plus the physical and aerial ability, and obviously finishing. 

Havertz will play ahead of Werner for me.

51 minutes ago, junkymunky said:

We had a pretty decent transfer record last season. all of 

Havertz

Mendy

Chilwell

Werner

Silva

Started the UCL FINAL and Ziyech looks like he might be coming into his own this season judging from Pre season

57 minutes ago, junkymunky said:

"100m for someone is who is 29 soon"

Mate, he turned 28 in May ahaha

I'm sorry but saying Lukaku has done poorly at most of the clubs he's been at, as Nigel Pearson would say, you must be an ostrich with your hand in the sand.

He's scored consistently at every club he's been at, he has more Premier league goals than Drogba. His worse days where at United, which I feel says more about United than Lukaku.

This isn't FIFA career mode, we're not dealing with just the transfer fee for Halaand, it's Mino Raiola and other costs too.

56 minutes ago, junkymunky said:

Haaland wouldnt cost anywhere near double. Lukaku cost 100m, Haaland would have been about 140m whilst being on similar wage

Also top 5 striker in world football atm doesnt even mean much when in this current era there is a severe lack of top quality forwards. Not to mention that Haaland is also in that top 5 anyway, and better than Lukaku imo, with much greater upside

I’m not sure that it accurate. No denying Haalands ability, albeit over a smaller sample than Lukaku. Reality is they were not accepting any bid less than 150M, then add in his agents fee 30M+ on top. Wages would have been doable I’m sure. Big difference. 

We need a striker, and this is a good move. Squad also needs options - another 60+ games ahead and we are light. I have no concerns that Werner, Havertz, Mount and Lukaku will be appropriately rotated playing 80% of games. Pulisic, Ziyech and Odoi are going to have to go up their game. 

Big upgrade on Tammy, and to an extent Giroud (who never let us down). Different type of player Lukaku - I hope he is selfishly ruthless. I can see games where he does nothing for 30 mins, and then bang, balls in the net. 

1 hour ago, junkymunky said:

I'm not his biggest fan, but it's unfair to say he has been poor at most clubs he has played for. Man United is the only club he has played for where it didn't work out for him.

I'm generally not a big fan of mega money signings and 97m sounds like a lot of money for Lukaku but if Tuchel wants him, then so be it.  I think Tuchel has earned our trust and it's right for the board to assist him with signings. The team is crying out for a goal scorer and even if Lukaku proves to be a flat track bully, that should win us a lot of points over the course of the season. Our record against the poorer teams in the league was far from stellar last season. I just hope he doesn't destroy our team chemistry, especially in the big games. 

7 hours ago, hephzibah said:

I'm not against him. We all want the best for Chelsea. So this is the truth, and I will say it. I mentioned Hazard and Willian, it has always been like that. U can see that with Neymar and Mbappe at PSG, u can see that with Rashford and Sancho at Utd etc. We need creative players on the wings. Skillful players who can get us out of difficult situations and give passes to the striker.

I don't even think Mount is a winger, I think he's like a Lampard. But my point is he's too young. I feel we got into this situation in the season when we had transfer ban and we used the academy players that we had.

At the minimum, for three years, he should still go and develop in a lower team, by then his muscles would have grown enough to play for us, and by then he will be able to do great things for us.

But for now, he is not developed enough to play for us. Yes there are some players who can play well at that age, but also, some players need time to develop to get to that level, and I feel Mount falls in the latter category.

The right line up we should be using in our attack is Lukaku, Pulisic and Havertz. Not just a player who gets the ball and not minding if there's an obstacle in front, he just runs into them, then we lose the ball again and be at the risk of our opponents attacking us.

I feel Pulisic and Havertz will be able to give passes to Lukaku and we will be fine.

This is a joke right? Man has won a CL winning against Atletico, Real, City etc but deserves to be in a lower league team because not enough muscles? 

Are you Barkley's uncle?

1 hour ago, Deino said:

Going back to your exes rarely works well. I just hope we have a good season.

City will be going all in for Messi and Utd now have a more well rounded attack.

Pep already confirmed Messi is not in their plans 2-3 days ago. He is going to PSG. 

Utd has strengthened. They might push for the title although I am still not convinced Ole is a great manager. And weball know you have to be a great manager to win the Premier League. 

7 hours ago, junkymunky said:

Lukaku scored 17 league goals at WBA who are a relegation battling team. 15 league goals in his first season at Everton. In his last 2 seasons at Everton he got 18 league goals then 25 league goals the following season then. It was only his last season at United, where he looked a bit of the boil. How can you say he has done poorly at most clubs he has been? His goalscoring record is sensational.