Declan Rice to Chelsea?

Marrone

I don’t get the love in for Declan Rice personally. No where near Kante in terms of ability or Jorginho in what he brings to a team. I’d even say he’s not close to Kova. Gilmour has a bright future.  

Jorginho has his faults but he controls the way we and Italy play. He’s a big part of us winning the champions league. He’s showing his quality right now and proving his doubters wrong.  

I’m not saying we should not go for him in the future but I don’t think Rice is better than what we have now and certainly doesn’t warrant the fee.

Edited by Sheva

Rice has not looked that great for England. Nothing has popped either defensively or offensively. I just don't see how he would be worth $40 million plus. If Chelsea is going to pay that kind of money, then I would much rather  have them go after Bellingham. He is much younger and a better overall player than Rice,with the potential to be one of the top midfielders in the world. 

I still think we won't be pursuing this ... we let him go once because it was felt he wouldn't be good enough. Not sure we would want to (a) acknowledge we made a mistake or (b) do a "Pogba" and pay a huge fee for someone we let go for nothing ... that's not the way we operate. I'm also not convinced that Rice is good enough for us (is he better than our current options in midfield ? Not for me ... )  and that our original decision on him was even a mistake ... Bellingham on the other hand looks a much better prospect.

Not impressive in these games to be fair but what people don't realise is he is a leader on the pitch. That is something Kalvin Phillips for example isn't. He is vocal and for example something Frank always wanted of his players. Some might say Kante isn't vocal and he is one of the best in the world. 

I think he has more going forward than Kovacic and better at defending than Jorginho. Although he is nothing like either of them so really the comparisons are not fair for any of these players. 

Would he improve in the midfield? I think he would. Especially in these grind games in the Prem against your Norwich's and West Brom's. 

I also think he is a player Frank wanted and probably someone Tuchel doesn't know well enough to really want. 

On 18/06/2021 at 22:44, Sheva said:

I don’t get the love in for Declan Rice personally. No where near Kante in terms of ability or Jorginho in what he brings to a team. I’d even say he’s not close to Kova. Gilmour has a bright future.  

Jorginho has his faults but he controls the way we and Italy play. He’s a big part of us winning the champions league. He’s showing his quality right now and proving his doubters wrong.  

I’m not saying we should not go for him in the future but I don’t think Rice is better than what we have now and certainly doesn’t warrant the fee.

I think there's a reluctance to accept the deep lying type of conductor on these shores, not just with Jorginho, Thiago Alcantara is getting it just as bad if not worse.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I've been aware of Declan for a little while now and considered that us bringing him back would not be a mistake on our part for letting him go but, credit to him for working hard and making himself a player we wanted back. 

Now apparently we would do business at £70m and while it's steep I think we can just about justify that. The problem is the deeper we go into the Euros the more West Ham will try and stick by their supposed updated £100m price tag now.

I don't think he is a necessity and at the price being quoted I would consider walking away. The thing is while I am a big fan of the 343/3421/352 that we have been playing recently I could see this one signing giving us the option to play 4 at the back.

However, you don't pay £70m-100 to bench a player so he would have to start regularly. Now if he's in a pivot that means the other player is Kante which is fine but then we have at least 2 of the 3 midfielders who just helped us win the ucl sitting out. We can argue squad rotation but it does seem like this may not be as necessary as a buy compared to striker.

We could also play a midfield 3 but again that would most likely be Mount Rice Kante and then Jorghino and Kova sit out and I think that's unfair when you consider their performances under TT last season.

1 hour ago, LongtimerLurker said:

Ok so I've been aware of Declan for a little while now and considered that us bringing him back would not be a mistake on our part for letting him go but, credit to him for working hard and making himself a player we wanted back. 

Now apparently we would do business at £70m and while it's steep I think we can just about justify that. The problem is the deeper we go into the Euros the more West Ham will try and stick by their supposed updated £100m price tag now.

I don't think he is a necessity and at the price being quoted I would consider walking away. The thing is while I am a big fan of the 343/3421/352 that we have been playing recently I could see this one signing giving us the option to play 4 at the back.

However, you don't pay £70m-100 to bench a player so he would have to start regularly. Now if he's in a pivot that means the other player is Kante which is fine but then we have at least 2 of the 3 midfielders who just helped us win the ucl sitting out. We can argue squad rotation but it does seem like this may not be as necessary as a buy compared to striker.

We could also play a midfield 3 but again that would most likely be Mount Rice Kante and then Jorghino and Kova sit out and I think that's unfair when you consider their performances under TT last season.

Dont think you have to worry about it, just do not see this deal happening. Too much money.

Seriously impressed with the maturity yesterday. He’s had to play for 80 minutes on a booking and he was still getting stuck in, without really risking another card. For a 22 year old, it’s really impressive.

Unless we have another 200M to burn, don't think he should be our top priority ( we all know where the big bucks should go for). Our midfield is actually pretty solid, if we need another body there it should be someone who could venture forward and score a few goals. His value will go up after Euros, probably only 2-3 clubs in England realistically could afford him.

1 hour ago, dansubrosa said:

Seriously impressed with the maturity yesterday. He’s had to play for 80 minutes on a booking and he was still getting stuck in, without really risking another card. For a 22 year old, it’s really impressive.

Very much a player I would like here as well, however 100mill or close to it is very rich. Dont see it as realistic. 

I think Chelsea want him but might have to prioritise signings for other parts of the team (mainly striker). 

Rice won't come cheap, West Ham have very little incentive to sell and I can't see us stumping up £80m for a player that's mainly potential right now. I think there's a good chance he spends another year at West Ham unless Man United make an agressive approach for him this year. 

I'm to sure that we should be prioritising other areas than the midfield. If Billy Gilmour goes, which looks very likely, we have three midfielders for 2 positions, and two of these players are injury prone. We need a fourth midfielder to be on the save side and, if it is Rice, he'd give us the possibility to vary the team set up as well. Now, I don't think the board will pay what the spammers are asking for Rice, but they should be looking at getting one or keeping Gilmour in the first team (which would be the best option for me).