Mason Mount

Argo

My complaint about Mount is he can’t shoot. Or at least his goal scoring record to date is poor. This season he has had to play on the right wing a position he clearly isn’t suited to as not enough pace to go on the outside and can’t cut in onto his right foot. So I can understand and even excuse this seasons form. 

If he is to play in midfield like Lampard or Balkack or Essen then he needs to bulk up a bit and play more defence. 

he won’t be going back wife left while stifling is starting. 

I think for England sterling plays on the right doesn’t he? I don’t know and could well be wrong. Again. 

I think some of you need to realise hes still a very young player who`s only going to get better at all he does, he is not the finished article yet we have had the past 2 seasons relying on him to create and score for us. At times hes basically carried the attack almost on his own and has been overplayed by both club and country. I think he`s overdue a period where he would struggle, yet there seems some weird glee from certain "fans" in posting sh*tty little videos of his mistakes. Its so weird, any other club he would be heralded as the best thing ever,  an academy graduate who is one of the first names on the team sheet, runs his blood to water every game, isnt in the news for stupid sh*t and is someone we have been crying out for since John Terry. 

Its fair to point out poor games, its totally acceptable to say he is out of form and needs dropping/resting etc. Ozboy`s critique above for example is excellent and makes a salient point, but some of the vindictive stuff is just so messed up, especially by the twatter vermin. 

Edited by dkw

2 hours ago, ozboy said:

My complaint about Mount is he can’t shoot. Or at least his goal scoring record to date is poor. This season he has had to play on the right wing a position he clearly isn’t suited to as not enough pace to go on the outside and can’t cut in onto his right foot. So I can understand and even excuse this seasons form. 

If he is to play in midfield like Lampard or Balkack or Essen then he needs to bulk up a bit and play more defence. 

he won’t be going back wife left while stifling is starting. 

I think for England sterling plays on the right doesn’t he? I don’t know and could well be wrong. Again. 

I think he needs to play centrally from now on, just a waste of time having him running shuttles up the wing. He plays more centrally for England, though even then hes played far too deep, but then thats just Southgates naturally risk aversion football.

1 hour ago, dkw said:

I think some of you need to realise hes still a very young player who`s only going to get better at all he does, he is not the finished article yet we have had the past 2 seasons relying on him to create and score for us. At times hes basically carried the attack almost on his own and has been overplayed by both club and country. I think he`s overdue a period where he would struggle, yet there seems some weird glee from certain "fans" in posting sh*tty little videos of his mistakes. Its so weird, any other club he would be heralded as the best thing ever,  an academy graduate who is one of the first names on the team sheet, runs his blood to water every game, isnt in the news for stupid sh*t and is someone we have been crying out for since John Terry. 

It's fair to point out poor games, it's totally acceptable to say he is out of form and needs dropping/resting etc. Ozboy`s critique above for example is excellent and makes a salient point, but some of the vindictive stuff is just so messed up, especially by the twatter vermin. 

Well given a lot of this is about the post I made I'll reply. The point of the video wasn't to make mount out to look crap, hence why I said in the post that videos like this can be used for any player, but it was to point out things he does EVERY game which hinder us.

As I've pointed out before, he isn't a "very young player" he's nearly 24, of course he still has time to get better, but I haven't seem a massive amount of improvement since he joined the first team in 2019, he's had some great moments for us since then but it hasn't been consistent enough. It's open season for slagging off Pulisic and Havertz who are roughly the same age because Mount is homegrown and a nice lad we shouldn't hold him to the same standards? Reece James as an individual is all of those things you mentioned and he is miles ahead of Mount in terms of quality in my opinion, he gets into any team in world football, does Mount? I don't think he does.

I don't have any glee in seeing any of our players struggle, I watch every game and it's been sh*te viewing since January and I'd rather be watching us play well. He definitely isn't the only one struggling, but I won't give Mount a massive pass in comparison to everybody else just because he's homegrown, at a top club everybody needs to be held to the same standards if they're starting week in week out.

This all being said, Potter may very well come in and find a position for him that fits and where he excels, same for Havertz, but right now neither have shown me that they can be an ever present in a team that's going to challenge for the league.

Edited by timetowaste

Going to be interesting to see how, or even if,  Mount fits into Potter's preferred line up. 

GP has historically played 2 up front with 2 wing backs (often converted wingers like Trossard) providing the width, which suggests 1, possibly 2 spots in the XI for attacking midfielders. 

So probably a case of perm 1 or 2 starting places from Mount, Havertz, Gallagher, Kovacic, Loftus-Cheek, Chukwuemeka, (Casadei), 

5 minutes ago, Argo said:

Not great atall, he may have saved Southgate from the sack.

I think it all hangs on how well they do in Qatar in 2 months, England is still the last team of the group even with a win against Germany tonight.

Mount is really good with his first time shots, not the first time he finishes like that!

On 21/09/2022 at 14:18, jack_super_class said:

He created the same amount of chances from open play last season as a LWB from Brighton. Thats a big problem if he is supposed to be a main creative player in our team.

Lukaku and Werner made good runs last season and were always ignored for a safer pass. He has been very poor so far this season. Most of his G/A last season were vs 16th placed team and lower. Criticism of him is justified.

I would imagine most of our creative chances came from our wing backs too, that's how things tend to work in a back 3 when you have so much width to utilise. Agreed he's had a slow start to the season but I don't believe you can blame him for Lukaku or Werner. More likely Tuchel instructed low risk passes out wide. 

3 hours ago, RIP Mourinho said:

I would imagine most of our creative chances came from our wing backs too, that's how things tend to work in a back 3 when you have so much width to utilise. Agreed he's had a slow start to the season but I don't believe you can blame him for Lukaku or Werner. More likely Tuchel instructed low risk passes out wide. 

I was not blaming just Mount for not finding Werner and Lukaku runs, the team as a whole.

Chances created is a good way to judge someone creativity. Im hoping Potter plays Mount as an 8, im 100% sure we will get a better Mount. We already did in the last game.

On 23/09/2022 at 11:31, Sexyfootball said:

Going to be interesting to see how, or even if,  Mount fits into Potter's preferred line up. 

GP has historically played 2 up front with 2 wing backs (often converted wingers like Trossard) providing the width, which suggests 1, possibly 2 spots in the XI for attacking midfielders. 

So probably a case of perm 1 or 2 starting places from Mount, Havertz, Gallagher, Kovacic, Loftus-Cheek, Chukwuemeka, (Casadei)

Isn’t it a bit mad we have collected a lot of No 8s? I really don’t get the thinking behind buying Chukwuemeka & Casadei in the summer when we have Gallagher to integrate, and have no DM or No 10. Bar Kovacic to an extent, none of the above players is what you will call a technical player.

22 hours ago, ducavis said:

Isn’t it a bit mad we have collected a lot of No 8s? I really don’t get the thinking behind buying Chukwuemeka & Casadei in the summer when we have Gallagher to integrate, and have no DM or No 10. Bar Kovacic to an extent, none of the above players is what you will call a technical player.

Kovacic, RLC and Chukwuemeka are technical players. Can't say i've watched enough of Casadei to know what he's like. 

2 hours ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Kovacic, RLC and Chukwuemeka are technical players. Can't say i've watched enough of Casadei to know what he's like. 

If anything i would criticise RLC for being overly technical and often i would rather he got his head out of his ar$e and just tw@t the ball towards the goal. I think he could be a really good advanced midfielder or attacker if he were just a little less technical and more clinical.